2 Giga Bytes Per Second With SSD

Tywais

I was told that other than installing the OS to the SSD, there is no real benefit in installing software to it (considering the cost benefits)

SSDs are blazingly fast. And expensive. You gain the most benefit from them by installing the OS and all applications on it. Large media files are fast on normal hard disks too, and you usually don't need them to be very fast, e.g. watching a movie isn't going to go any faster from an SSD. Large files are between 2 and 4 times faster on an SSD. Small files such as loaded with the OS, or application launch, can be 50x to 100x faster on the SSD, so this is where SSDs really shine.

The problem with most models is / was that performance degrades significantly over time. Some more than others. Some get as slow as a fast hard disk. Others don't show any performance degradation - so this is very much a moving target. The technology is moving very quickly.

Last I checked the Intels were not bad, and the Mercury Extreme SSD was the fastest and the one with no degradation. It's very expensive in part because it reserves 20% of available space for performance optimization. $1600 for 460GB as of today :(

so far im happy with my ssd's.

intel x25-V g2's are the best when it comes to $/GB ratio.

when using normal mechanical hhd's my windows exp was at 5.7 now with the value intel ssd it went up straight to 7.9.

with AHCI on i get reads up to 195mb/s and writes up to 45mb/s.

i got 2 of them but have not tried to raid them cause when it comes to AMD their controllers r bad and they don't support TRIM for raid as of yet

It’s not sooo expensive!

If u take a MLC (Multi Level Cell) “Drive” u pay about 300US$ for 100GB.

A 2,5” 100GB Notebook “Drive” with ~200MB/s read and write u feel

the Speed increase by Boot and even by running Programs.

SLC’s (Single Level Cell) “Drive” have a longer lifetime bud about 4 times more expensive.

By MLC “Drives” switch off the Defrag Function, this will increase the Lifetime and use the Trim – Function,

supported by Windows 7 for some Brands,or the Manufacturer offer similar Tools.

(Trim restore used and now free Cells)

For Desktop’s use PCIe “Drives”, this increase the Speed again.

120GB (~400$) ~500MB/s read and write or

1TB (~5000$) ~1,4GB/s read and write!

when using normal mechanical hhd's my windows exp was at 5.7 now with the value intel ssd it went up straight to 7.9.

i got 2 of them but have not tried to raid them cause when it comes to AMD their controllers r bad and they don't support TRIM for raid as of yet

I have an Intel x25 g2 160GB ssd in a laptop and the Windows rating for it is 7.7 - now the processor (a core i7) is the slowest part of the PC.

Edited by Digitalbanana

I have an Intel x25 g2 160GB ssd in a laptop and the Windows rating for it is 7.7 - now the processor (a core i7) is the slowest part of the PC.

atleast ur on a i7core .....lol

im still running a AMD X4

What?!!! You don't have the lastest and greatest and fastest and _______ CPU!!!! Good lord you are missing out your computer booting up a few seconds faster, some programs loading up in a second or two compared to 3 or 4 seconds, and making the Thai internet working blazingly fast!!!. On second thought scratch that Thai internet working blazingly fast part as I fell into a dream induced by Chang Beer. ;) Now when they come out with a SSD that speeds up the Thai internet, I'll be laying out some cash for that drive ASAP!

P.S. I running a 4 year old Toshiba laptop and it will do just fine for a few more years.

What?!!! You don't have the lastest and greatest and fastest and _______ CPU!!!! Good lord you are missing out your computer booting up a few seconds faster, some programs loading up in a second or two compared to 3 or 4 seconds, and making the Thai internet working blazingly fast!!!. On second thought scratch that Thai internet working blazingly fast part as I fell into a dream induced by Chang Beer. ;) Now when they come out with a SSD that speeds up the Thai internet, I'll be laying out some cash for that drive ASAP!

P.S. I running a 4 year old Toshiba laptop and it will do just fine for a few more years.

But.... you have to understand that Win7 is designed to really take advantage of today's powerful hardware....

But.... you have to understand that Win7 is designed to really take advantage of today's powerful hardware....

That's good as I'm running Win7 on yesterday's powerful hardware.;)

I was told that other than installing the OS to the SSD, there is no real benefit in installing software to it (considering the cost benefits)

Not quite true. If you load the apps to the SSD, they will load -- and run, if they utilize much hard disk activity -- much faster. It's your DATA (documents, movies, mp3s, etc) which do not benefit much from an SSD.

SSDs are blazingly fast. And expensive.

Depends on your definition of expensive, I guess. They are more expensive than traditional disk drives with spindles and platters, but I see some decent value in the current price. (see my next post)

You gain the most benefit from them by installing the OS and all applications on it. Large media files are fast on normal hard disks too, and you usually don't need them to be very fast, e.g. watching a movie isn't going to go any faster from an SSD. Large files are between 2 and 4 times faster on an SSD. Small files such as loaded with the OS, or application launch, can be 50x to 100x faster on the SSD, so this is where SSDs really shine.

I agree!

The problem with most models is / was that performance degrades significantly over time. Some more than others. Some get as slow as a fast hard disk. Others don't show any performance degradation - so this is very much a moving target. The technology is moving very quickly.

If you get a current generation HDD, it should have TRIM (which so far pretty much only works on Windows 7, and not within a RAID) or its own version of a garbage collection utility. With TRIM and/or garbage collection, performance degradation over time should be minimal.

It’s not sooo expensive!

If u take a MLC (Multi Level Cell) “Drive” u pay about 300US$ for 100GB.

A 2,5” 100GB Notebook “Drive” with ~200MB/s read and write u feel

the Speed increase by Boot and even by running Programs.

Prices are coming down. This is what J.I.B. was advertising on the signboard outside their Pattaya shop a few weeks ago:

ssd.gif

This week I was at a J.I.B. shop in Pantip, and they had a 128GB Kingston SNV425 for THB8390 (about $270). The price on the 64GB Kingston was a few hundred baht lower as well.

For ~$300 you could RAID two of the Kingston 64GB SSD's. :-)

Widespread predictions (i.e. "guesses") on the internet tech chat boards are that prices will drop significantly in the next few months when Intel releases it's 3rd generation SSDs. Anticipated pricing on the new Intel SSD's will be about the same price as current, with about twice the capacity, and presumably better performance.

I bought the Kingston 64GB SSD a few weeks ago, and am pleased with the speed increase over the traditional HDD I had been using. Granted this SSD is not state-of-the-art (not a Sandforce, for example), but is snappy enough for me (for now!)

My C: boot drive, with 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium and all my programs, a hybernation file (~3GB for 4MB system RAM), and a small (512MB) page file, uses 21.2 GB, so I have more than 50% free space on the 64GB drive. I could (should?) have gone for the 40GB Intel.

While I'm on a roll (rant) about SSDs, here's a comparison of performance my middle-of-the-road Kingston SSD and a new Western Digital HDD:

ssd_vs_hdd.png

Where the SSD's shine is (a) reading, and (B) in small 4K block performance. That's why they're so good at loading Windows and programs.

Writing, while not their strong point, is still better than a HDD. However, for most documents, mp3s and movies, a HDD is more than fast enough.

Agree with yo on that one, Win7 is the best upgrade of Windows ever, it is streets ahead of XP, I didn't even go down the Vista road after all the problems I read about.

I use win7 ultimate and it is great. I don't think I am ready to move to SSD at the moment, I heard so many comments about the performance degradation over time. (I did also hear that you can "recondition" the drive using software...so maybe when the prices drop) I just put in a Seagate 1TB dirve and it is fast enough for what I use.

Agree with yo on that one, Win7 is the best upgrade of Windows ever, it is streets ahead of XP, I didn't even go down the Vista road after all the problems I read about.

I use win7 ultimate and it is great. I don't think I am ready to move to SSD at the moment, I heard so many comments about the performance degradation over time. (I did also hear that you can "recondition" the drive using software...so maybe when the prices drop) I just put in a Seagate 1TB dirve and it is fast enough for what I use.

Hmm... :rolleyes: someone who understand what I mean... please explain to the rest...

Edited by siamect

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are using Win7, which supports TRIM on SSDs, you need not be concerned about performance degradation nor manually "reconditioning" the SSD, unless you buy one of the first generation (i.e. "old") SSDs. All current SSDs support TRIM, which automatically keeps your performance up to snuff.