Macintosh Users In Cm

lebeau69

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
If I am not mistaken, Tuskers will arrange a Mac-session soon due to the increased popularity.

http://www.tuskersbar.com/index.php?page=c...maicomputerclub

Oooops that was a bit out of date.

The Mac Users group is already meeting at the conclusion of the general Chiang Mai Computer Club meetings. Computer Club starts at 1pm and the Mac Group at 2pm on Tuesdays at Tuskers. I have updated the web page.

Thanks MrSouza

Oooops that was a bit out of date.

The Mac Users group is already meeting at the conclusion of the general Chiang Mai Computer Club meetings. Computer Club starts at 1pm and the Mac Group at 2pm on Tuesdays at Tuskers. I have updated the web page.

Thanks MrSouza

Excellent. Make sure you remove the bugs from the tables if the PC group is meeting prior to the Mac group. :o

I'm considering trying a mac, I happen to be in a position where I can actually afford one for once :o

I don't really know that much about them, except that their users seem to be completely sold on them, like Harley riders. Much like Harleys, AFAIK they have a reputation of being very expensive for the performance available, but also like Harleys the user experience is something that just can't be matched by other brands. Or at least that's the impression I have had.

Recently I have heard they have come down in price a lot, and you can even get a two button mouse now??? [what about the third, like in Ubuntu???]

My brother is Mac mad, has been since the ][e days, and has always had the latest and greatest version of everything Apple. He is recommending to me to get a Macbook Air and an ipod touch [or maybe an iphone], and he says that the PIM that comes with it and something called "ilife" will be all I will ever need...

SO, a couple of questions:

how hard will it be to make the mac be seen on my network and transfer files to/from my Ubuntu machines?

What's the battery life like on the Macbook Air?

Does it connect to just about any WIFI network automatically without hassle just like my EEE running Xandros does? [for example, airports, hotels, cafes, neighbors etc]

I see it doesn't have an optical drive - can I just plug in a standard USB DVDRW drive or do I have to buy a special Apple one?

And as for the ipod, will it show up as a normal removable drive like other MP3 players or do I have to use special Apple software to transfer files to/from?

I know it's a lot to ask, but I haven't actually really had any chance to actually try one in the flesh at all, and it's a bit of money to put out there for a pig in a poke. The few times I've been in a mac shop it was all, well which one do you want, they expect you to already know. Just like Harley shops - you ever try riding up to one of them on any other bike, they won't even talk to you.

"Recently I have heard they have come down in price a lot, and you can even get a two button mouse now??? [what about the third, like in Ubuntu???]"

Actually mac mice are 3 button. If you push down on the scroll button on top that is the second one and if you squeeze the side hinge points that is the third. You can also program them to do what ever you want in the system preferences.

Cheers, Ray

"Recently I have heard they have come down in price a lot, and you can even get a two button mouse now??? [what about the third, like in Ubuntu???]"

Actually mac mice are 3 button. If you push down on the scroll button on top that is the second one and if you squeeze the side hinge points that is the third. You can also program them to do what ever you want in the system preferences.

Cheers, Ray

Correction. Actually four (4) buttons. The top "shell" is touch sensative and can determine the difference between a left click and a right click.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Mighty_Mouse

-Mestizo