Why Farang Think Thai Cant Speak Eng ?

BambinA

Why do ALL Thais call everyone else Farang? To generalise about British, Germans, Aussies, Yanks etc. is hard enough but to generalise about the rest of the planet is impossible.  :D  It does my head in when my Mrs says Farang this, farang that. Who's she talking about, Arabs, Chinese, Brits? It's like Brits saying, why do foreigners eat pasta? Oh, are you talking about Italians? Or, why do foreigners bow to each other? Oh, are you talking about Japanese? etc. Never, in any other country that i have visited, do they label the rest of the planet quite like the Thais. Just my farangs worth.  :o

Mr BoJ

P.S. What currency do farangs use?  :D

apparently the origin of the word falang refers to the colour of the inside of a fruit (i think avocado) which is a creamy white colour seen as very beautiful and desirable by thais. Falangs are generally refereed to as caucasion people or people from a european/american or australasian background ...

well , IMHO , it 's not about gauva (farang)

but word "farang" it has long long time ago (Aythataya Period) .. its about Protuguese word ,

European nations first presented themselves as diplomatic envoys and then as merchants. The Portuguese were the first European group to arrive in Thailand during the reign of King Ramathipbodi II

anyhow, "farang" word in Thai , its not insult or look down , we call caucasian =farang

Bambi :D

Thanks for that Clip and Bambi

MrBoJ

Some terms for the word farang from http://www.chiangdao.com/thailand

FAQs .org - Farang

ORIGIN OF THE WORD "FARANG"

.. It is possible that the Thai word "farangset" ("French") is a blend of the word "farang" and the French word "francais", ie., "farangset" is actually derived from "farang", not vice versa. Certainly, the word "farang" existed prior to, and independently of, "farangset"... more ...

Asinah .net- Farang

Farang

Farang, sometimes pronounced falang or falong, is the generic Thai word for a white foreigner. Africans or African-Americans will be occasionally referred to as farang dam (black farang). While generally farang is a neutral word, it can be used as an insult depending on its context.

Farang is also (by coincidence) the Thai word for the guava fruit, which of course can lead to "farang eating farang" jokes from Thai people when eating a guava in Thailand. There is also Maan Farang which is potatoes, hence the similar joke "Farang kin (eat) maan farang". And stranger still there is Mhak Farang which is chewing gum. more ...

Floating Lotus .com - Farang

Farang is not derogatory or racist.

... your belief that the word, farang, is derogatory is not widely held, but Uncle E has spoken to another farang who somehow felt the same way as you. So, perhaps we need to discuss this.

First, Uncle E must assure you that not in anyone's wildest dreams could farang be interpreted as an insult. Please don't believe anyone who told you that the word is derogatory; they were flat wrong. Farang is simply the Thai noun that is best translated as "Caucasian," and it is an adjective for things Western. The ugly words you cited are words of hate and oppression, and are obscene. Farang is a neutral term.

more ...

Phillip Williams - Farang

Farang - A dirty word?

Thais have a word called ‘farang’, which literally translated means white-skinned foreigner. Many foreigners take great offence at being addressed as a farang, and it used to get to me for a while. Nowadays, I tend to shrug it off and use it often myself when engaged in conversation with a Thai, often as a derogatory term for a farang that I don't particularly like. After all, what other word can I use to describe a white-skinned foreigner.

more ...

Linguist List .org - Farang

How widespread is "farang"?

The 'ng' in 'farang' is a velar nasal. Interestingly, Thais often perceive French nasal 'a' [a~], as in 'an' "year", as [ang], where 'ng' is a velar nasal. In addition, Thais

typically drop the final 's' as it is not a final sound in Thai. Finally, [r] in clusters is typically dropped. Hence, 'France' may be pronounced as [fOOng]. It was these phonological processes of borrowing in Thai that initially made me curious about the origin of 'farang' in Thai. The belief in Thailand that 'farang' comes from 'franc,ais' is pure folk

etymology.

now obviously the evolution of langauge has meant words can be used and interpretated in different manners.  now i don't doubt that some thais will use the term in a derogatory manner , but for the majority of thais it is not viewed that way it is merely a way of classifying a segemnt of society ...

id be intereted in the feedback from any thai members about this thread ...

This topic has been done to death in the Bangkok Post and many other places. The most common explanation for the origin of the word farang is that many early visitors to Thailand were French (Francais became "farangset" in Thai), so Thais initially thought all Caucasian foreigners were French. The word farang was an abbreviation of "farangset."

It's an aspect of Thai culture that the language is not that precise and the people prefer not to be as precise as westerners are. So Thais tend to pigeonhole people into convenient groups such as farang, khaeg, negro, etc. I guess it's similar in China, where we are "gwailo" and Japan where we are "gaijin."

i'm sure falang is not a dirogitory term when used by most thai's. I had quite a time trying to explain to my girlfriend why it was no good to call people niger lady or niger man. She was totals incredulous as to why this would upset any one. She just look at me and said

" U falang, i thai, this lady is nigor lady whats problem???"

I explained the conection with slavery and that this terms is and was used by people who think that thier race is superior that others, and that back people take great offence from this world. She just said "oh ok" but she just didn't get it, because she does not think in a rascit way. I have no idea if this applys to another other thai's not a topic i discuss much. Any way as bambi said we all humans and indaviduals at that. Generalisations are never a good i dea, u'll always offend someone.

As for thai's speaking english a lot more thai's seem to spaek english than falang who speak Thai. Anyone who makes an effort to learn any of someone elses language be they thai, falang gets a big well done from me.

Tripperj :o:D

Edited by tripperj

As for thai's speaking english a lot more thai's seem to spaek english than falang who speak Thai. Anyone who makes an effort to learn any of someone elses language be they thai, falang gets a big well done from me.

Tripperj :D  :D

Here here!

On your other topic, my friend's thai GF recently commented "look, Ninja's!" while seated at the window at Gullivers. We looked out and there were a gaggle of Arab woman, all in black with the hijab covering the face, save their eyes. I was in absolute stitches at this innocent comment :o:D

Oh yeah, Farang is just that- foreigner as far as I'm concerned. Nothing derogatory (unless embellished) or if one wants to assume a chip on their shoulder and an axe to grind :D

. I guess it's similar in China, where we are "gwailo" and Japan where we are "gaijin."

same same but differnt na ka ..

word "gwailo" ,"gaijin." .. its mean white ghost something ..

but "farang" just mean caucasian ka ..

Yes. I meant that in a similar way, Chinese and Japanese have a word that groups foreigners of different nationalities together. Literally, I think gwailo means "foreign devil" and gaijin means "outside person."

Anyway, even westerners tend to group all SE Asians and East Asians together as "Orientals" based mainly on their physical appearance.

well , obviously i  read some  comment about me  in bedlam thread,,(good one babe..the OP )

and  for  direct experience  that i met  a  french guy at Koh Samui..

BB : blah blah ..(english)

french : wow ... u speak english

BB : oui,,, why not ...

french : thai people dont speak eng ... just only whore at Nana speak ..your  english is good..i went to Nana be4

BB : what?..ok,  my  eng is not pigeon, obviously its not perfect as native ..well my eng is  better than  u ma puce ... next time  if  your  mom speak eng with u ..dont forget to give her compliment ..."wow mom , u speak eng really good as a  skanky ho in thai"

well ... why farang  think thai cant speak eng?...funny thing ,  many farang in aboard think , Th  people dont have pc, net ,car..and  ride elephant..etc... :D

or  u  guys just think people  who speak diff from your language is stupid?

(on argue) .. just curious

ps .. in  bedlam ,  somebody thought im  farang  who pretend to be  thai ..hahah ...i wish i can speak Eng  as good as farang ...that's advantage

besame mucho ,all :D

bambi :D

Let them think, it shows how he is and we can read in his mind too, how widely or small capacity he has in his (brain) perspective. Dont be upset. English is not our mother tongue. The way we communicate and making sense in understanding each other is much far better than lost your nerve. Why thai people dont speak English ( well ) ? Possible , our English tutor or teacher in the old day , taught English by writing, mostly writing and doing the right grammar without ( less)practising how to speak.Surely, practising how to speak with thai teacher who might have never been abroad. Thais are mostly shy to speak and afraid of being laughed. We do understand English, but we are too shy to speak English.

Nowadays, we have the fastest communication with computer and many young thai people is trying to use this language and able to speak English quite well, similar to the last 10 years.Our English learning programm is improved. Give us another 10 years, we shall have huge numbers of good educated people who can speak English very well to please people from outside world, who can only understand English and nothing else !

But dont blame us again that we are too British or too american when we speak English with perfect accent :D

I do wish one day we shall have CNN reporter ( 100 % Farang ) who speak perfect Thai on TV. :D with perfect accent too.

If only we have the same alphabet like A B C....we might speak perfect in many others languages too. But we have own letter, and own language...in order to learn other Roman Alphabet...it isnt easy at all but we all do try.

How many foreigners who have the ability to learn our alphabet or chinese alphabet or japanese or Arabic perfect ? They have to turn their brain off all other language just to concentrate the new alphabet and new way of writing..and etc. You'll see..it's not easy at all to speak any language PERFECTLY. Be good and be comfortable to communicate with us and give us little compromise, at least you both understand. Nobody is PERFECT. A french guy who has the same alphabet , can learn English or Spanish easily, but seldom seen french who speak perfectly English with perfect English accent.

Tell that French guy, people dont speak English but they do understand English....5555555 so ..dont gossib us na. :o:D Thailand is bigger than Nana Road and we have only over 60 millions inhabitant. He might still learning our history with Anna and The King of Siam....555555 or asking him if there is any prison in Bastille ? :D

I'd like to flip the question round and ask why Thai people don't think farangs can speak Thai? I've often heard Thais commenting on me, no further than 2 yards away, because they think I don't understand. In answer to your question though, as shallow as this world is, people don't think you can speak English because you are Thai and people don't think I can speak Thai because I'm English.

Let them think, it shows how he is and we can read in his mind too, how widely or small capacity he has in his (brain) perspective. Dont be upset. English is not our mother tongue. The way we communicate and making sense in understanding each other is much far better than lost your nerve. Why thai people dont speak English ( well ) ? Possible , our English tutor or teacher in the old day , taught English by writing, mostly writing and doing the right grammar without  ( less)practising how to speak.Surely, practising how to speak with thai teacher who might have never been abroad. Thais are mostly shy to speak and afraid of being laughed. We do understand English, but we are too shy to speak English.

Nowadays, we have the fastest communication with computer and many young thai people is trying to use this language and able to speak English quite well, similar to the last 10 years.Our English learning programm is improved. Give us another 10 years, we shall have huge numbers of  good educated people who can speak English very  well to please people from outside world, who can only understand English and nothing else !

But dont blame us again that we are too British or too american when we speak English with perfect accent  :D

I do wish one day we shall have CNN reporter ( 100 % Farang ) who speak perfect Thai on TV.  :D with perfect accent too.

If only we have the same alphabet like A B C....we might speak perfect in many others languages too. But we have own letter, and own language...in order to learn other Roman Alphabet...it isnt easy at all but we all do try.

How many foreigners who have the ability to learn our alphabet or chinese alphabet or japanese or Arabic perfect  ? They have to turn their brain off all other language just to concentrate the new alphabet and new way of writing..and etc. You'll see..it's not easy at all to speak any language PERFECTLY. Be good and be comfortable to communicate with us and give us little compromise,  at least you both understand. Nobody is PERFECT. A french guy who has the same alphabet  , can learn English or Spanish easily, but seldom seen french who speak perfectly English with perfect English accent.

Tell that French guy, people dont speak English but they do understand English....5555555 so ..dont gossib us na.  :o  :D  Thailand is bigger than Nana Road and we have only over 60 millions inhabitant. He might still learning our history with Anna and The King of Siam....555555 or asking him if there is any prison in Bastille ? :D

:D welldone babe

Bambi

well , obviously i  read some  comment about me  in bedlam thread,,(good one babe..the OP )

and  for  direct experience  that i met  a  french guy at Koh Samui..

BB : blah blah ..(english)

french : wow ... u speak english

BB : oui,,, why not ...

french : thai people dont speak eng ... just only whore at Nana speak ..your  english is good..i went to Nana be4

BB : what?..ok,  my  eng is not pigeon, obviously its not perfect as native ..well my eng is  better than  u ma puce ... next time  if  your  mom speak eng with u ..dont forget to give her compliment ..."wow mom , u speak eng really good as a  skanky ho in thai"

well ... why farang  think thai cant speak eng?...funny thing ,  many farang in aboard think , Th  people dont have pc, net ,car..and  ride elephant..etc... :D

or  u  guys just think people  who speak diff from your language is stupid?

(on argue) .. just curious

ps .. in  bedlam ,  somebody thought im  farang  who pretend to be  thai ..hahah ...i wish i can speak Eng  as good as farang ...that's advantage

besame mucho ,all :o

bambi :D

Me to TG: Do you speak English?

TG: Yes

Me: How much?

TG: 300 baht

:D

Well some speak english some do not - Thai. Generally speaking I am not surprised if I find a Thai person speaking english. English is a necessity for business around the world, so speaks well of a person non-native english speaker to take the time to learn another language regardless of their profession.

Now only if my thai was as good!!! :o

Yes. I meant that in a similar way, Chinese and Japanese have a word that groups foreigners of different nationalities together. Literally, I think gwailo means "foreign devil" and gaijin means "outside person."

Yes, right. "Gaijin" does not refer to any specific race or nationality. Japanese usually use this word without any derogatory connotation, but rather as an abbreviation of "gaikokujin" (foreigner, or non-Japanese). However, when written in kanji, the combination of characters is indicative of meaning 'outside person', with implication that can be interpreted as Japanese race being different (or special/better than) as compared to the other race/nationals, and therefore as part of political correctness, "gaijin" is a word no longer encouraged for use in TV and other medias.

As to word "farang", I wonder if Thais can tell Jewish/Israelis and Latinos would be considered farangs as well.

Edited by Nordlys

i'm sure falang is not a dirogitory term when used by most thai's. I had quite a time trying to explain to my girlfriend why it was no good to call people niger lady or niger man. She was totals incredulous as to why this would upset any one. She just look at me and said

" U falang, i thai, this lady is nigor lady whats problem???"

I explained the conection with slavery and that this terms is and was used by people who think that thier race is superior that others, and that back people take great offence from this world. She just said "oh ok" but she just didn't get it, because she does not think in a rascit way. I have no idea if this applys to another other thai's not a topic i discuss much. Any way as bambi said we all humans and indaviduals at that. Generalisations are never a good i dea, u'll always offend someone.

Tripperj :o  :D

I think what your girlfriend is saying is probably negro as my wife correctly calls black people. But it usually comes out neego due to thai pronounciation.

I'd like to flip the question round and ask why Thai people don't think farangs can speak Thai? I've often heard Thais commenting on me, no further than 2 yards away, because they think I don't understand. In answer to your question though, as shallow as this world is, people don't think you can speak English because you are Thai and people don't think I can speak Thai because I'm English.

i love this one when i go to thai board meetings, i bring my dutch friend who speaks fluent thai, they always try to check if we understand their lingo, of course we don't, saved me a lot of grief and money :D

bambi, what were you doing in bedlam, you don't have 500 posts as yet :o

On your other topic, my friend's thai GF recently commented  "look, Ninja's!" while seated at the window at Gullivers. We looked out and there were a gaggle of Arab woman, all in black with the hijab covering the face, save their eyes. I was in absolute stitches at this innocent comment :o  :D

I thought they were Guiness Bottles..

As to word "farang", I wonder if Thais can tell Jewish/Israelis and Latinos would be considered farangs as well.

i think ..yes ..khun Nordlys,

BB

Bambin, just wonder how Thais call an Indian looking guy or some one appear to be a Muslim.. :o The word FARANG doesn’t apply to them in LOS, right.. :D

in LOS, the Thais call them "Khek"

So much has been discussed on this thread about Thais not being able to speak English. All i would say is that thais are as good OR as bad as any other non english speaking nation like any other South American nation ... BUT The real difference is that in other places people dont feel inferior about it .but in thailand , the locals feel they are inferior coz they cant speak english .. It is this inferiority complex that leads to farangs and other foreginers to tease them.

I have not been to any other non english speaking nation but some of you might have been there and u would not have seen anyone going red in the face when faced with a foreigner in front.. So IT ALL COMES DOWN TO HOW YOU WANT TO BE SEEN , NOW HOW PEOPLE SEE YOU ..

If I want to ask a question of a farang I've never met before the first thing I ask is if they speak English. I have a German friend who lives not too far away and he speaks little/no English. I think its a sign of elitism to assume that someone speaks English and rather more polite to assume they don't.