Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

Your position that the Bakehouse serves the finest steak ever is based on what experience of eating steak in Chiang Rai?

Don,

My wife and I have eaten steak at both your place, and the Family Bakehouse. I think I prefer your steaks anyday. The time we had it, it was cooked to perfection and very delicious. I can't say that about the Mexican food, but we are talking steak here and we will come back for more. ett

I road tested the Steak house on the way back from MaeSai today.

I had a "rib eye" that looked like a sirloin strip, ordered rare.

And rare it was, the pan needs to be a lot hotter but genuine rare is a hard ask in that type of place.

Still quite nice.

It came with a nice green salad on the same plate and a pepper sauce, (unrequested).

The pepper sauce was worth the whole exercise, very nicely prepared and full of flavour.

It came with a side plate of a few French Fries and a roll, which was vile... far too sweet.

IMG_1930.JPG

The place is easy to find, a few kms north of the Mae Falung University turn off on the other side of the road.

A pink windmill advertises it, possibly to attract gay Dutchmen.

IMG_1933.JPG

Edit: Cost 221Baht, we would have had a glass of wine but it was only available in bottles, a Thai winery that was new to me, Black Knight something. I noticed a Merlot among them.

Edited by sceadugenga

Yeah, we noticed they had cats.

The food arrived almost too quickly, I ordered, went to the hong nam and came back as it was leaving the kitchen.

As I said, I asked for trouble ordering rare steak, medium would have been a lot better choice.

My friend had the T-bone, also rare and once again, rare steak needs to be cooked on high heat.

I'd go back for the pepper sauce though... B)

I just came back from a beautiful biketrip to Chiang Khong together with 2 friends.

We had lunch at Bamboo Snack Bar and we all three ordered mexican food. It was just fantastic, best mexican food I have ever eaten in Thailand.

We talked there to two tourists from Arizona and they said they stayed in Chiang Khong for 4 days instead of two just because of the food in Bamboo Snack Bar! And they owned their own mexican restaurant in US so they probably knew what they were talking about

So if you go to Chiang Khong and like Mex food, do not miss it.

You can find Bamboo Snack Bar on the main road in the city.

:D:):Dpost-29230-0-00045400-1307881896_thumb.g

Thank You Sven for giving us good directions on how to get to the Mexican food restaurant in Chiang Khong. The couple that own it call it "Bamboo House". They are both Thai and they used to own a Guest House for 10 years and learned about making Mexican food little by little from their guests (or at least from comments from their guests) if I understood him right.

It is a little place, maybe can seat 15 or so, and he and his wife make the food on the spot basically rather than using canned or refrigerated foods made a few days in advance. This is a main reason the food is so good. When you order, he explains that it will take some time, and has a sign on the wall saying that also. So if one is in a hurry, don't go there. But it is WORTH the wait! His English is good and he likes to talk with you if he isn't too busy with other customers while his wife is preparing most of the food in the back.

Our friends from San Diego have never been able to find good Mexican (authentic tasting) food in Bangkok and they have lived there for several years and tried many places. When I told them about this posting you made, they couldn't wait to get to that restaurant. And their assessment? Authentic, very good, Mexican food! The absolute best they have ever found in Thailand (Bangkok . . . they haven't been to Chiang Mai yet so maybe there is a good place there?)

They also make very good whole wheat bread daily and the best brownies I have ever had (along with some ice cream of course.) We took some loaves back with us.

We will definitely go back there with friends from Bangkok every time they make it up to our area.

Here is a collage I put together showing the signs outside their place (the two black ones on the lower left), Dtao and Jeep (the owners), a name card scan (front and back), and the GPS coordinates.

If this photo seems to be too much in the way of an advertisement, please just delete it.

Morris (not the cat)

post-1154-0-68751700-1313251386_thumb.jp

Edited by mojaco

This sounds like a commercial promotion. How many free meals have you had there?

Yes Don,

This whole thread is one big commercial promotion. All the contributers in this thread had meals for free for the whole family as well as the drinks.

Please realize there are more restaurants with beautiful dishes! At least we can choose from the recommended ones.

Edited by cmjantje

Don

Just because someone says "the best steak I've eaten in CR" or writes a glowing

report on another restaurant, doesn't mean they're saying your place is no good.

They really don't have to justify their report to your or anyone truth be told.

I've noticed that some of your recent posts about others dining experiences

have been a tad harsh. It is possible to have a nice meal out of your restaurant.

I think an apology is in order mate.

Regards

Will

He's possibly concerned about his sponsorship but the rules say that a couple of free plugs for businesses are ok on the forum.

In fact most of the sponsors probably only became sponsors after being told to stop the free plugs for their business.

Now he's stirred it up they will probably get a whole page of freebies! :lol:

He's possibly concerned about his sponsorship but the rules say that a couple of free plugs for businesses are ok on the forum.

In fact most of the sponsors probably only became sponsors after being told to stop the free plugs for their business.

Now he's stirred it up they will probably get a whole page of freebies! :lol:

Not necessarily but there have been cases I have stopped going to sponsors because of attitudes shown in posts about others.

One of the maNY reasons I have never gone back to Dons, amongst bad service and not having many items on the menu, were his attitude to other restaurants in Chiang Rai on this website.

Sorry. Don there are other restaurants in Chiang Rai, many much better than yours and some not so good.

Maybe, if you drop the attitude, concentrate on the service and availability of items on the menu, you'll be a lot more sucessful.

I just came back from a beautiful biketrip to Chiang Khong together with 2 friends.

We had lunch at Bamboo Snack Bar and we all three ordered mexican food. It was just fantastic, best mexican food I have ever eaten in Thailand.

We talked there to two tourists from Arizona and they said they stayed in Chiang Khong for 4 days instead of two just because of the food in Bamboo Snack Bar! And they owned their own mexican restaurant in US so they probably knew what they were talking about

Wonderful news....I love Kay's at the night bizarre, and there are indeed several good ones in CM, but that is a wee bit far just to go for good mexican food. Can't wait to try it out! ett

Thank You Sven for giving us good directions on how to get to the Mexican food restaurant in Chiang Khong. The couple that own it call it "Bamboo House". They are both Thai and they used to own a Guest House for 10 years and learned about making Mexican food little by little from their guests (or at least from comments from their guests) if I understood him right.

It is a little place, maybe can seat 15 or so, and he and his wife make the food on the spot basically rather than using canned or refrigerated foods made a few days in advance. This is a main reason the food is so good. When you order, he explains that it will take some time, and has a sign on the wall saying that also. So if one is in a hurry, don't go there. But it is WORTH the wait! His English is good and he likes to talk with you if he isn't too busy with other customers while his wife is preparing most of the food in the back.

Our friends from San Diego have never been able to find good Mexican (authentic tasting) food in Bangkok and they have lived there for several years and tried many places. When I told them about this posting you made, they couldn't wait to get to that restaurant. And their assessment? Authentic, very good, Mexican food! The absolute best they have ever found in Thailand (Bangkok . . . they haven't been to Chiang Mai yet so maybe there is a good place there?)

They also make very good whole wheat bread daily and the best brownies I have ever had (along with some ice cream of course.) We took some loaves back with us.

We will definitely go back there with friends from Bangkok every time they make it up to our area.

Here is a collage I put together showing the signs outside their place (the two black ones on the lower left), Dtao and Jeep (the owners), a name card scan (front and back), and the GPS coordinates.

If this photo seems to be too much in the way of an advertisement, please just delete it.

Morris (not the cat)

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful news....I love Kay's at the night bizarre, and there are indeed several good ones in CM, but that is a wee bit far just to go for good mexican food. Can't wait to try it out! ett

Morris (not the cat)

Thanks for the heads up Sven with the breaking of the weather this weekend I was able to go get some Mexican food rolleyes.gif it was awesome to say the least and well worth the trip which turned out to be a pleasure in its self with all the views... Owners are awesome I ordered two dishes... and they recommended I just take one as the servings are some what large.. great people and food.. big thumbs up!

Lunch At The Meridian.

Been doing a bit of work for my neighbour and he took me to brunch/lunch at the Meridian yesterday.

Started with smoked salmon on what I think were bagels. (I'm Australian, never seen bagels before).

They turned out to be the highlight of the meal, next we got some Dim Sum, the crab ones were nice but the pork ones were not. We agreed the meat wasn't quite fresh and left them after a exploratory nibble.

So I went back for more "bagels" and while I was eating them the waiter came around with a bowl of ribs that turned out to be mainly bone. The sauce was nice though.

Baskets of fish and chips arrived that were also nice. The chips were great and my neighbour who knows these things says they were steak cut chips from Macro. The fish was nice and crisp in batter.

I had a small pork sausage (or two), which needed to be hotter and some small hash browns which were very good.

Starting to fill, I went to the cheese tray, a selection of tasty cheeses that needed crackers. They may have had some but they weren't anywhere near the cheese.

Purely in the interests of accurate reporting I staggered to the desert table that had impressed my neighbour when we walked in and finished off with a selection of nougat, chocolate and other sweet morsels.

Over all it was an enjoyable meal but the Thai dancer who sprang into the room with a shattering gong beat scared the crap out of me. One wonders whether it's suitable for Sunday mornings.

The orange juice was excellent and the glass constantly topped up. The service through out was first rate.

No complaints about the surroundings, with great views of the gardens and river.

Now I'd have recommended this unreservedly (part from the dim sum) but when the bill arrived it was 550 baht a head. Now this didn't worry me, my neighbour insisted on paying it, but I think a little more attention to detail is required for that price.

Still made for a nice way to have a relaxing Sunday meal.

Edited by sceadugenga

I think the experience at Le Meridian depends upon what time you arrive there.

On the occasions I have been there, the food quality has always been good, but the stock and variety on offer visbly depletes as the time goes by. It is a little on the pricey side compared to the economy buffets on offer around the other hotels in the town, but I think it is worth it quality wise.

You can actually get a Le Meridian membership card from them which entitles you to a very generous 20% off of food and drink (including the visit that you sign up for the card). There is probably some small print on that but I can't say I bothered to read it.

A good point, we arrived about 12.30 after my neighbour had to go home for his phone when halfway there.

It wasn't busy though and a few arrived after us.

Another point that could be made is that late arrivals pay the same as those first at the trough and should be entitled to similar fare. B)

Edited by sceadugenga

Lunch At The Meridian.

Been doing a bit of work for my neighbour and he took me to brunch/lunch at the Meridian yesterday.

Started with smoked salmon on what I think were bagels. (I'm Australian, never seen bagels before).

They turned out to be the highlight of the meal, next we got some Dim Sum, the crab ones were nice but the pork ones were not. We agreed the meat wasn't quite fresh and left them after a exploratory nibble.

So I went back for more "bagels" and while I was eating them the waiter came around with a bowl of ribs that turned out to be mainly bone. The sauce was nice though.

Baskets of fish and chips arrived that were also nice. The chips were great and my neighbour who knows these things says they were steak cut chips from Macro. The fish was nice and crisp in batter.

I had a small pork sausage (or two), which needed to be hotter and some small hash browns which were very good.

Starting to fill, I went to the cheese tray, a selection of tasty cheeses that needed crackers. They may have had some but they weren't anywhere near the cheese.

Purely in the interests of accurate reporting I staggered to the desert table that had impressed my neighbour when we walked in and finished off with a selection of nougat, chocolate and other sweet morsels.

Over all it was an enjoyable meal but the Thai dancer who sprang into the room with a shattering gong beat scared the crap out of me. One wonders whether it's suitable for Sunday mornings.

The orange juice was excellent and the glass constantly topped up. The service through out was first rate.

No complaints about the surroundings, with great views of the gardens and river.

Now I'd have recommended this unreservedly (part from the dim sum) but when the bill arrived it was 550 baht a head. Now this didn't worry me, my neighbour insisted on paying it, but I think a little more attention to detail is required for that price.

Still made for a nice way to have a relaxing Sunday meal.

Solid reporting B)

Another point that could be made is that late arrivals pay the same as those first at the trough and should be entitled to similar fare. B)

I agree, but it doesn't seem to be the MO for the few buffets I've seen.

Most seem to the case of get there early to get your pick of everything, otherwise if you get there too late, some trays will be empty.

Plus any food that is best eaten cold/cool has probably been sitting at room temperature since the buffet opened. Not sitting on ice or frequently replaced/topped up throughout the night.

I love going to eat moo katar (sp?) but I always try and get there about 6pm. Every place I've been, by 7:30 or 8pm most of the trays are half to completely empty and a few are usually empty.

Also the big aluminium tin of ice cream always seems to run out without fail.

And I still see people turning up at 8pm and only getting to pick through the left overs and paying the same price.

• 3 weeks later...
Having lived in Chiang Rai for over 3 years, it is surprising sometimes to hear of a restaurant you did'nt know about.

One I know , The Family Bakehouse serves the finest steak ever.

Do you know of any good restaurants?

Last April a friend was visiting us and he

found a little Indian place on one of the side streets

between Jetyod and Phanonyothin Rds

It was just opposite the Wang Come and

beside quite a big massage place

It was pretty a pretty basic plastic table and chair job

but I am partial to Indian style curry

and a bit of nice bread instead of rice

It made a nice change

Don't know if its still there !

tungtsz

IT'S GONE!

I just discovered the mexican restaurant across Overbrook. An American with a Thai wife that can speak Spanish own it.

Hey can you tell me where exactly is this Mexican restruant at?

Kae's Mexican Restarant is now at the Night Bizzare Market.

Souht-West corner of the Food Stalls next to the WCH Hamburger stand in there (not confuse with WCH on the main road).

Open from about 6:30pm til about 8 or 9pm or until she runs out of food.

Souht-West corner of the Food Stalls next to the WCH Hamburger stand in there (not confuse with WCH on the main road).

night bazzare thats near the old bust station right?

night bazzare thats near the old bust station right?

Right