Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai

tayto

I have noticed that one of our right honorable gentleman wannabes, has been making a right honorable fool of himself of late, without the assistance of others, so I have been quietly enjoying a little chuckle at the way things have been unfolding. We needn't look far for nominees to the Joel Barlow thread, it seems.

With my greatest respect of course. :)

This thread started 5 years ago with Family Bakery.

We just ate there.

No baby back ribs or garlic bread - out.

Things came one at a time, my lemonaid after about half of the food.

I had the salmon steak - fine, but so easy, and so much cheaper,

to buy at Northern Farms and do yourself. Only takes but a few minutes...

Fried rice American for the little ones came when we were mostly full

(from french fries - at least they were good, and not called freedom fried);

then some locals came in, and I figured something out.

They'd called in advance!

Real, real good idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Have eaten at Vivien House several times in the last few weeks. We go with friends, order too much food and spend the evening sampling all of the different dishes that arrive. Every time is good but last night was exceptional. Four people ordered eight different dishes. Each item was outstanding. I don't know where they learned to cook but they learned well.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Echochar (bad spelling of course) restaurant tonight, its located on the same road the Rimkok Hotel, on the same side of the road opposite a big red school building.

I went there a couple of years ago ,the food was good then.

Now the place has been done out allover, alot more tables including an air-con dining area inclosed seating.

The place is an upmarket Thai family restaurant , catering for kids with a big play area , but if you go later in the evening all the kids should be home in bed.

The food was fantastic,mostly fish and shellfish but have a good selection of beef,chicken,duck ,salads, etc etc.

Tonight I had chicken wings in a whiskey bbq sauce (double portion ) I knew it was good, accompanied by prawns with sliced coconut, sliced tender medallions of beef and broccoli, bbq'd squid with a nam prik dip, boiled rice and one big beer for the two of us, the Mrs insisted on coming :D Total price for it all was just over 500bht . A really delicious meal , good service ,good atmosphere, an excellent all round restaurant. The menu is quite extensive and as we went later in the evening there was next to no waiting for the food, however , I ordered duck as well but that had already sold out. GOOOOOOOOOOOOD FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD 5* rating from me.

Da Vinci Restaurant .

Went there this evening with the wife, both ordered Pizza, hers was the Smoked Salmon Pizza and I ordered the Choritzo Pizza. The Smoked Salmon Pizza was very salty , hard to eat really but I added my Pizza to hers to make a sandwich so it was less salty and edible , just.

My Choritzo Pizza was very nice , however, the Choritzo sausage was sparse, and the size of a 2 bht piece. Grrrrrrrr

Washed down with a big beer between us, we left FULL.

Pizza size was good, the Pizza dough thin and crispy (real Italian style)and hot from the oven. Price for what we had was 645bht. A little bit pricey but would have been better if the sausage was visible and had the choritzo flavour and the Smoked salmon wasnt so salty. If the other pizza on offer are to their standard , then I think they should be good.

Noticed they had Duck breast in black current sauce, I nearly ordered that as I had it once before somewhere and was wonderful. Many items on the menu but more Farang Tourist price than local price.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the Wife tonight to the BAN KLANG WIENG restaurant , located on the road to the central police station , coming from the town centre , to the 2nd sets of traffic lights and situated on the right hand corner on the lights. Its opposite Kurts Deli .

They have been open for 5 years and this is my 4th visit in those years . Every time I have been I have been impressed.

Tonight was no exception , they offered a full menu of steaks , pizza, pasta , salads and have a selection of pastries.

AS they have been open for 5 years they had a promotion for 399 Bht . So we decided to go for that .

You can chose ANY pizza on the menu, Any Spaghetti dish , Any salad , and an Ice cream / sorbet to end.

I chose the ham and mushroom pizza, so much Mozzarella they must have had a buffalo parked out the back . Ive not had a pizza with so much cheese on it . The Pizza was good BUT the base was soft , if it had been crispy it would have been one of the best I have eaten. The Prawn salad we ordered was delicious , half a dozen chunky prawns that were full of flavour , a very nice mix of crisp fresh lettuce , with eggs tomato and cucumber and sliced raw carrot,topped in a very nice dressing . The Bacon Spaghetti was very tasty and well cooked . I chose not to have the ice cream , im on a diet :D but the wife ordered Orange Ice cream , again very nice and full of flavour. I had 2 excellent cups of coffee , provided from Doi Luang , on the way to Mae Sai/Chang Saen I think. I also ordered the Lasagne to take home incase im peckish later , had a nibble already just to report on it , again tasty but a bit heavy.

The bill was 579 Bht for the lot and we left there stuffed . As it is the 5th Anniversary we were given a free Mug as a gift as we were leaving . A nice meal in a nice place, again not disappointed. I am not sure if it is foreign owned but all the staff are Thai , those front of house speak good English. The Cooks in the kitchen are also Thai , so it is good to see someone has trained them well to cook western Fare. There is no Thai food on offer in the menu .

Recommend it , YES.

I asked my wife if she knew this Ban Klang Wieng restaurant as it hadn't previously been mentioned in any of the restaurant threads and she told me she had suggested it to me more than once and I had always given up due to lack of easy parking in the vicinity, but I gave it a go today, and I second the thumps up.

My pizza was also tasty and my wife seemed to enjoy her pasta and soup. Whilst I also noticed the base was softer than I expected, it wasn't so soft that it was a problem, and I am sure next time I could just ask the nice lady who served us to leave it wherever they cook it a minute or two longer.

It is a pleasant place to sit and enjoy and lunch, and even though its on the junction of two busy roads, with windows open on both sides, you get a nice relaxing breexe through.

Ban Klang Wieng Restaurant is otherwise known to Farang as The Tree House. I asked the owner why there were two names for her place. She said that a Farang started calling it the Tree House because it was easy to say and remember. I was introduced to it as The Tree House several years ago but it was a young Thai woman who called it by that name in that case. It seems that most of the people I know who go there know it as the Tree House, also.

Anyway, it is my favorite place in town. If you're up for a calzone, order the Miss Pauline Special. In my opinion, that is by far the best one on offer. The seafood salad is the wife's favorite. They do a good job with that as well.

Edited by kandahar

RICOS BAR AND RESTAURANT : I went to Ricos place today , located near the Condotel , I think before it was called Chaing Rai corner ? I spotted a few foreigners sitting in the bar , so as I was there for lunch decided to use the restaurant area. Quite a spacious place with seating inside and out .

Menu was limited on the western fare but quite extensive on the Thai Menu .

I decided to have western fare, I noticed that it was a Thai lady cooking , Mrs Rico , I believe.

She pointed out the owner., a large actually a very large man , possibly about 60 years old who has trained his wife how to cook, so I gave the Schnitzel stuffed with ham and cheese a go . It arrived 22 minutes after ordering, and wow , looking at the size of the pork I didnt think I would be able to manage it. It was served with french fries and a side salad , dressed in a quite nice olive oil., dont know what though. The pork was succulent and very tasty , didnt really notice the ham but the melted cheese inside was oozing out and complemented the pork. I think it was Swiss Cheese, not sure really but I think had it been an English cheese it would have been wonderful. Cheese is expensive , maybe Swiss cheese is cheaper to use , who knows.

I managed to get through the lot , and I was stuffed at the end. VERY GOOD food and just goes to show that some foreigners owning restaurants can get Thai's to do a great job in cooking if trained well. The Price for my meal a very reasonable 130 bht ,. well worth a visit for good food , good service and great prices. Then if you feel the need , have a beer with an Expat in the bar.

You are a Joker 'Sunny Hysteria' . I suspect the rather Large , (looks about normal to me) Mr Rico is closer to 46 years of age. And Swiss cheese is amongst the best in the World and probably not cheaper than English Cheese.

Anyway, nice positive post . Congratulations. :D

Ban Klang Wieng Restaurant is otherwise known to Farang as The Tree House.

Treehouse has long been on my list of to go places, as I liked also your Vivien House recommendation, so thanks for clearing that up and saving me some embarassment with the family as we spend hours looking for something that doesn't exist..

Seems I actually killed two birds with one stone, this week. Makes a very pleasant change from the normal 20 stones to barely wound one bird I normally experience when trying to accomplish things locally.

Edited by Paul888

Ban Klang Wieng Restaurant is otherwise known to Farang as The Tree House.

Treehouse has long been on my list of to go places, as I liked also your Vivien House recommendation, so thanks for clearing that up and saving me some embarassment with the family as we spend hours looking for something that doesn't exist..

Seems I actually killed two birds with one stone, this week. Makes a very pleasant change from the normal 20 stones to barely wound one bird I normally experience when trying to accomplish things locally.

Yes, both places are stand-outs in a landscape of mediocre restaurants. In a sense, I wish more people would discover them and bring success to those places. The success is deserved. At the same time, I am happy that I never have to wait for a table or for my food when I go to either place.

Ban Klang Wieng Restaurant is otherwise known to Farang as The Tree House. I asked the owner why there were two names for her place. She said that a Farang started calling it the Tree House because it was easy to say and remember. I was introduced to it as The Tree House several years ago but it was a young Thai woman who called it by that name in that case. It seems that most of the people I know who go there know it as the Tree House, also.

Anyway, it is my favorite place in town. If you're up for a calzone, order the Miss Pauline Special. In my opinion, that is by far the best one on offer. The seafood salad is the wife's favorite. They do a good job with that as well.

Klang Wieng, named after Wat Glang Wieng, which is the temple opposite.

Translated: Wat Glang Wieng - City Centre Temple

Yes, excellent grub and VERY friendly and helpful staff, although it is a little noisy.

Klang Wieng, named after Wat Glang Wieng, which is the temple opposite.

Translated: Wat Glang Wieng - City Centre Temple

Yes, excellent grub and VERY friendly and helpful staff, although it is a little noisy.

Went there last night and, as usual, wasn't disappointed. The promotion for their 5th birthday is still on until the end of the month so for 399baht you get a pizza, salad, spaghetti dish & ice cream.

Very nice food served quickly by friendly staff, can't fault it. It can be a tad noisy at times due to it's location but worth putting up with if you ask me.

Chiang Rai seems to be lacking more that a few decent Farang eating places. :o

If you saw the size of some of the local farang here, you would disagree about that statement.

Some of the better places are disguised with only Thai writting to keep out the farang.

yeah right, it's the great thai conspiracy to put the menus in thai only...or maybe becausce they are Thai?

There is a very nice little place near the sports stadium called Thai-Tex, great Thai food and some good western food as well. its on Sahamitr road between the super highway and the sports park. One of the better burgers in the area, as well as other Falang food.

GREAT FRIES ALSO!!!!

Edited by TALBOT983

There is a very good place on Hasamitr road between the super hiway and the sports park called Thai-Tex

Great burger, big french fries, good western food and very good Thai food, cheap too!

1,5 years ago I had the greatest fried chicken in butter at a mainly open-air restaurant almost opposite of Big C. (Thai for thai restaurant. No english menu). A few months ago I was there again, and the place had been taken over. No more delicious fried chicken. Can anybody recommend a good alternative?

You might like a place called Thai-Tex on Sahamitr road near the sports park.

good Tex-Mex food as well as a great burger (HUGE) oh yea and fresh cut wedgie fries.

This may be a small example of how emails/postings can be taken wrongly sometimes. I thought your were complimenting BKK Grill and wanted to support you on that. It seems that there are better steak places and I will stay tuned tuned, but next I want to try that Italian place DaVinci's, which comes well recommended. I have tried that Mexican food place at Overbrook and agree with everything said about it here - we all apparently await a really good place to eat Mexican. I am partial to Tex-Mex style over California style, and El Paso style above all, but few know about the tasty difference.

Thanks for a nice response.

SeeJo

Kay had a restaurant at the back of Overbrook hospital , she then moved to Jetyod, now she has moved again awhile ago to the Night Bazaar. She cooked alot of the meals fresh so there was always a lengthy wait and to be honest I wasnt over impressed. Dons Cafe does Mexican food , not eaten myself but mixed reviews from others who have. Best to try yourself and report on it .

Went to Lamyai Bistro tonight , situated near the clock tower at the top of Jetyod road. The restaurant was already serving 3 foreigners when me and the Mrs went in . We ordered our food and a beer while we waited 30 minutes for the starters to arrive , 2 salads, one a normal green salad and the other a spicy sea food salad.

Main course we both ordered Sirloin steak ,it arrived more or less at the same time as the salads !! The steaks were cooked as ordered , served with a selection of sauces, eg, mushroom , pepper etc, accompanied with french fries and 4 veg, carrots , green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. All the veg was cold , the fries were hot and good, the steak and sauce very nice. Portion size for me was a little small , but I eat like a buffalo but for the average person maybe enough. The wife thought it was all ok. Both salads very nice , apart from one long grey hair in my salad. Not sure who's it was as all the staff were young with dark hair and it wasnt mine , lol.

Total price was 480 bht for all . Very nice food but could improve if they get the veg hot ., good service , clean and reasonably priced . Recommended YES.

I could be wrong but I always thought the Veg was always served cold with 'steak & fries' here in Thailand.

Please correct me if I'm wrong . :(

maybe worth asking them to nuke the veg in the Microwave !?

You aren't wrong. The cold veggies are a staple here and hot ones are the exceptions. That is just the way it is done here.

Ate at Phu Lae again tonight and, once again, it was worth the visit. It was my boss's 60th birthday so everything was free which I imagine made it taste better but even if I'd paid I would have been happy. They've recently located to the saturday night 'walking street', it's directly opposite Damrong Vocational college.

If you've not been and enjoy traditional north thai food then this is the place to go and if you hurry up tonight I'm sure they'll still be some JW black label

to be enjoyed.

http://www.phulaerestaurant.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Ate at Phu Lae again tonight and, once again, it was worth the visit. It was my boss's 60th birthday so everything was free which I imagine made it taste better but even if I'd paid I would have been happy. They've recently located to the saturday night 'walking street', it's directly opposite Damrong Vocational college.

If you've not been and enjoy traditional north thai food then this is the place to go and if you hurry up tonight I'm sure they'll still be some JW black label

to be enjoyed.

http://www.phulaerestaurant.com/

We all have different opinions so always best to try and decide for yourself .

I have been there also , the food was good but the wait for it to arrived seemed like an Eternity . The other problem I thought was the air-con , it was freezing cold in there even for me and I am from the highlands of Scotland . my poor old wife's teeth would have dropped out if she had any :D

• 2 months later...

Noticed a few weeks ago that Corleon's Pizza finally gave up. Or moved. Anyway, it isn't in the location by the Wang Come now. Nice guy but that's all that he had going for him, from my two experiences.

Had a late lunch at By Heart last week. It appears that they have a new chef. The wife's usual Thai dish was unsatisfactory. I had the 160 baht sirloin. Tough as shoe leather. The chick set me up with a butter knife. I tried to return it in exchange for a steak knife. She says they don't have steak knives. Huh?!?!?! Will probably give them another chance in the future but they are on thin ice with me. They used to be exceptional.

Tried Don's on the suggestion of companions this week. Yawnnnnnn......