Un Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon Offers To Mediate In Thai-Cambodia Dispute

webfact

UN chief offers to mediate in Thai-Cambodia dispute - VNA

HANOI: -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has showed his willingness to work as a mediator in the Cambodia-Thailand border dispute, the Cambodian media reported.

According to Vietnam News Agency, the deputy spokesperson for UN Secretary General, Farhan Haq, replied to an email from the Cambodian press on August 18 saying that, "The Secretary-General is willing to mediate situation when both sides request him to do so".

Last week, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen called for an international conference to seek a peaceful solution to the two-year-long dispute over the Preah Vihear temple which has world heritage status.

Hun Sen said that he would put forward the proposal to Ban Ki-moon as he plans to pay a two-day official visit to Cambodia in late October.

Cambodia 's Foreign Affairs spokesperson Koy Kuong also welcomed Ban Ki-moon's response to the border issue.

Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen are expected to meet when they attend the upcoming Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM) early in October in Brussels, the Nation online reported yesterday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-23

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has showed his willingness to work as a mediator in the Cambodia-Thailand border dispute? But Mark made it VERY clear that Farang will NOT be allowed to get involved. This is a matter between Mark & Hun Sen. UN still don't get it do they. How many times must Mark make the same statement OVER & OVER again. Don't be such a busy body.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has showed his willingness to work as a mediator in the Cambodia-Thailand border dispute? But Mark made it VERY clear that Farang will NOT be allowed to get involved. This is a matter between Mark & Hun Sen. UN still don't get it do they. How many times must Mark make the same statement OVER & OVER again. Don't be such a busy body.

Let me get this straight, Farang should not get involved, and you consider Ban Ki-moon a farang. Shouldn't that also make Hun Sen a farang. So you want to discuss the border dispute among the Thai's, and then inform the world of your decision. Great idea, and that is why I think Thailand is on a losing path on this issue.

"Mr Suriyasai then suggested that the Government should immediately send a letter to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon indicating the stance of the Thai Government together with comprehensive information on the border dispute because the UN had never before expressed its stance toward the issue as clearly as this time." From the nation.... This mean, Thailand should tell UN, "mind your own business". Do I understand correctly?

Dont want to hijack this thread, but has anyone read the crapola that Rangsit University posted in the guise of an advertorial in the other English newspaper today?

Yes I have, and found it very revealing of a certain type of Thai mindset.It expressed the predictable PAD quasi fascist uber nationalist position, and Iwondered whether Rangsit university understands the contempt it will attract for endorsing this trash.The only saving grace was the comic effect of the appalling and semi literate English with which it was written.

Thailand requested International court of Justice for an international decision in 1962

Thailand did not like the international verdict but accepted it

Now Thailand does not accept the verdict and wants no international involvement.

Doesn't leave much room to manouevre then does it?

Tell Cambodia to give in or else.....what?

This is nothing to do with Preah Vihear it is a power game between Thai persons of influence (not Thaksin this time!) before the next election with the Thai (and Cambodian) people being used as pawns.

Please go ahead and enjoy the feeling of righteousness you get when having your nationalist, patriotic button pushed. :w00t::crazy:

Because the effect wears of, like most drugs, with repeated pushing. :wai:

If, just if, a war break out, who do you think win win. THAILAND or cambodia?

Difficult to say.One would have though Thailand obviously since it is so much larger and better armed.But last time Thailand went to war with a small neighbour (Laos) on some trumped excuse it retreated with its sorry ass well and truly whupped by the tiny Lao army.In any case some people say that since the Thai senior officer corps army is corrupt, incompetent and more focused on politics than battle - that adds another element of doubt.I do not know if these reports are true or not.In fact I could not possibly comment.

If, just if, a war break out, who do you think win win. THAILAND or cambodia?

Cambodia will win. Thai’s might have the weapons and out number them but Cambodian will fight guerilla style. But in the end there will really be no winners just large groups of people how suffer.

There will be no war over Khao Phra Vihan.

The war a previous poster was referring to is I believe the skirmish with Laos about 15 years ago. The leader of the Thai army at that time was none other than General Chavalit, the proposed next leader of Pheua Thai!

Regarding the Rangsit University's communique,it's owned by Dr Athit,previously a Democrat MP and now a prominent PAD supporter.

The war a previous poster was referring to is I believe the skirmish with Laos about 15 years ago. The leader of the Thai army at that time was none other than General Chavalit, the proposed next leader of Pheua Thai!

Regarding the Rangsit University's communique,it's owned by Dr Athit,previously a Democrat MP and now a prominent PAD supporter.

Good clear post.Thanks.

I was of course teasing about the Laos misadventure.Can I also take the opportunity to pay tribute to the ordinary fighting men of the Thai army(and many officers) who serve their country well.They are let down by their senior leadership,lions led by donkeys.

Didn't know about Dr Athit/Rangsit although the piece had PAD footprints all over it of course.I still am amazed that someone should go to the time and expense of producing an English language release and not bother to get the English right.Any educated English speaker would have been able to edit it for publication purposes.

:giggle:

Has Pheua Thai's next PM candidate ever done anything right? :D

I still am amazed that someone should go to the time and expense of producing an English language release and not bother to get the English right.Any educated English speaker would have been able to edit it for publication purposes.

Whether its menus or road signs or UDD protest posters or travel brochures, that's S.O.P. for all facets of LOS (Land of Spelllling).

Given the current level of xenophobia here, I can't see Thais stooping to accept the assistance of foreigners to solve their disputes with a neighboring country which they consider inferior. Heck, the public agencies here don't even ask native-speaker foreigners to edit their signage! Why would they think foreigners are capable of settling a territorial dispute? whistling.gif

foreigners are not welcome to help / assist since they are neutral to the matter. Thailand lost the Temple in 1963 and accepted it.

A neutral view will then just say well "sorry lads it is too late".. and thats why the only Thai option is to deal straight with Cambodia...

But I sense the Cambodian smarter on this issue... so my guess is... Temple lost for thais

Thailand cannot win Laos? I wonder what weapon did they have which Thai have not, at that time?

They more than likely had three weapons the Thai army did not possess at that time :

Courage

Determination

Fortitude

Even today Thai army has a problem with rebel citizens for the same three reasons , mostly unarmed .

You seem to have a very large tongue that exudes a huge amount of drivel and very little else .

Yes, the discussion should be between Thais, because the Khmer were Siamese in the old days. get it!

I went all the way back to the 9th Century, and it was still Khmer owned, when they started building the temple. Should I keep going back even longer to find the original Siam ownership as you claim?

Hey, wait a minute didn't the Sukhothai Kingdom only being in the 12th century!!!! I think you have your history kinda of messed up.

Good clear post.Thanks.

I was of course teasing about the Laos misadventure.Can I also take the opportunity to pay tribute to the ordinary fighting men of the Thai army(and many officers) who serve their country well.They are let down by their senior leadership,lions led by donkeys.

Didn't know about Dr Athit/Rangsit although the piece had PAD footprints all over it of course.I still am amazed that someone should go to the time and expense of producing an English language release and not bother to get the English right.Any educated English speaker would have been able to edit it for publication purposes.

As in Dr. Arthit of the Dulwich International College fiasco? ;) That explains the shoddy language - at least! :lol: