I Dork Thong

bambob

Suggest you don't play around with this one unless you have a death wish.

Thais regard it as an extreme form of abuse. Fighting talk!

If you want to say "golden flower" you can use the "dork" and "tong".

Just never, ever preface it with an "i' or an "ee'.

I learned my lesson the hard way. :o

ok i can make you clarify I Dork Tong it is rude of Thai words for a strong word. It is not golden flowers it dont have life.. Na ka

exsample

I quarrel with someone and i amnot dissatisfied i will abuse him /her

: she is I Dork Tong / u are Dork Tong

Do you clarify ?

Impossible_me

I guess to differentiate a flower that is gold for a you-know-what, I could suggest that if you really did see a golden flower you could say dork-sii-thong, to avoid any confusion, potential offence, and most likely a lot of laughter directed at yourself.

For the origin, look up ดอกทอง at www.thai-language.com.  The explanation was originally supplied to that site by 'Bryan' Suphawut.

What happened to Bryan, Richard? I dont see him posting anymore. He is arguably the best teacher of the Thai language I have come across to date. Truly bilingual and great analytical skills.

make sure you keep the language clean here peoples.... :D

Only if you change your Avtar :o

Mind you it may explain the origin of the worg "Dork" or maybe not

As far as I know the great man didn’t speak Thai, but if he was a Thai politician, I think he may have used the language to great effect, but he would have never resorted to swearing. It is a pity that there aren’t more great orators in public life today, especially in Thailand. Aphisit, is one, but I think he suffers from the same problem as Kim Beazley and is a little too ‘prolix’ (his term, not mine)

As for changing the Avtar, well I like it for now. It’s a little bit of burley I like to throw out……

Suggest you don't play around with this one unless you have a death wish.

Thais regard it as an extreme form of abuse. Fighting talk!

If you want to say "golden flower" you can use the "dork" and "tong".

Just never, ever preface it with an "i' or an "ee'.

I learned my lesson the hard way. :o

As far as I remember, Dork Tong is reserved for women only - unfortunately another one of those double standards in Thai culture. If a man fools around a lot sexually, he ususally gets a compliment instead.

I have a friend who calls a tree in front of her house with beautiful golden flowers "Tohn Dork Tong" - but I assume that she's tongue in cheek about the name.....

What happened to Bryan, Richard? I dont see him posting anymore. He is arguably the best teacher of the Thai language I have come across to date. Truly bilingual and great analytical skills.

He's still around, but I haven't had any contact with him. However, he might have been put off by losing his site when the FBI took Thai-language.com down. Glenn Slayden was hosting it on his machine. Bryan had to recover a year's worth of additions from the Google caches!

Richard.