What'S The Official Speeding Fine In Thailand?

sumrit

I think we've all been stopped for speeding at some point and paid the 100-200 baht tea money, and stories about this have probably been done to death on this forum, but I was asked the other day what's the official speeding fine if you choose to take the ticket and go to the police station to pay it? So far nobody can tell me, not even Thais. I tried googling it but gave up after going round in circles for about an hour.

So you're my last hope, can anybody here provide me with a link to the official cost please?

Probably depends on how much time it takes to bring you to a police station to fine you, taking into account how much they think they lose by leaving the roadside. :rolleyes:

Where do they do this ??

Ive had numerous speeding tickets(legit) , they write em out on the spot and keep my licence, I wander into the police station the next day and pay the fine, they return my licence.

A PDF download of the Land Traffic Act BE. 2522 http://thailaws.com/.../tlaw0140_5.pdf lists the various fines for traffic infringements. Section 67 shows 1,000 Baht as the fine for speeding.

All laws, acts, regulations in LOS state the MAX applicabel fine for offence, and as I said thats 1000 baht for speeding.

Anyone ever been legally fined close to 1000 baht for speeding?

Most legal speed checks have on site clercks doing the fines and reports, and every single one for me has been 200 baht. Even saved some of themB)

Highway Police (Brown & Yellows) on Route 21, Lop Buri Province - 1000 Baht.

Provincial Police, outskirts of Petchabun City - 400 Baht, confiscated licence, trip to Police station to pay fine.

Both times well above the speed limit (90kph) for pickup/car on dual carriage way type road.

Going through red light in Saraburi - no fine, 'farang' - go, go!

Never. I've lost count of how many times I've been done (more than 20), and it's always been 200 Baht at the window.. The highest I've ever been caught at was 162 in a 90, but that's just because I only drive faster than that on more deserted roads ;)

Edit: The one and only time I've ever had to do the trip to a police station was in Pattaya for not wearing a helmet (was 200m from destination, pulled it off, got nabbed). Was a total PITA - went straight to station, paid and returned to the scene within 15 mins, but officer who took my license was nowehere to be found.. Next day had to queue for 45mins to get the license back... Always pay direct if you can!

Had a few close calls with police insisting on doing it by the book - all in BKK. Took a 1000 to settle those on the spot.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thats all in the past!!. Abhisit has appointed a new Police Czar.

Offending motorists are an easy target for revenue, look what is happening in Bangkok and the new road into Pattaya.

Plus on the newly opened sections of the Eastern Ring road - Route 9. Stacks of signs informing you of speed limits and camera warnings. I went down to Swampy last week, a good piece of track now, not many taking much notice, but early days yet.

If you can read some Thai script have a look at the pad that the Highway Police fill out, its says 1000 Baht fine for speeding, I know, the to**er who done me had great pleasure in wafting it in front of my nose.

Thats all in the past!!. Abhisit has appointed a new Police Czar.

Offending motorists are an easy target for revenue, look what is happening in Bangkok and the new road into Pattaya.

Plus on the newly opened sections of the Eastern Ring road - Route 9. Stacks of signs informing you of speed limits and camera warnings. I went down to Swampy last week, a good piece of track now, not many taking much notice, but early days yet.

If you can read some Thai script have a look at the pad that the Highway Police fill out, its says 1000 Baht fine for speeding, I know, the to**er who done me had great pleasure in wafting it in front of my nose.

I always thought / guessed it was B400, I've somehow been very lucky and not been caught speeding, in the UK the speed limits are so slow that people must spend half the time viewing the speedo to ensure their speed has not crept up.

That said - speed kills is the common buzz phrase we hear. However, I suggest a far more accurate buzz phrase would be 'Idiots kill' but idiocracy cannot be measured easily without dispute so speed works as a denominator... IF the B1000 fine (as it appears to be) is enforced, many more of those driving dangerously maybe forced to back off the pedal a little, but I believe the issue is not solely speeding, rather the issues are driving dangerously, driving drunk, driving with undue care and attention etc... but I'm rather happy the Police officers here in Thailand do not exercise this discretionary power.

Never. I've lost count of how many times I've been done (more than 20), and it's always been 200 Baht at the window.. The highest I've ever been caught at was 162 in a 90, but that's just because I only drive faster than that on more deserted roads ;)

Edit: The one and only time I've ever had to do the trip to a police station was in Pattaya for not wearing a helmet (was 200m from destination, pulled it off, got nabbed). Was a total PITA - went straight to station, paid and returned to the scene within 15 mins, but officer who took my license was nowehere to be found.. Next day had to queue for 45mins to get the license back... Always pay direct if you can!

Had a few close calls with police insisting on doing it by the book - all in BKK. Took a 1000 to settle those on the spot.

One advantage in real speedchecks with plenty of officers and clercks to issue official fines, is that paying 200 baht officially gives you cart blanche for speeding until midnight.

One trip leaving Phuket I was caught at 162kmh (yepp my speed on cruise is usually 160kmh) in Phang Nah just leaving Phuket. 200 baht with ticket, pulled over 3 more times same day, and waved on when showing ticket. Any other country the law works this way:D

Edited by katabeachbum

Why does everyone always complain about having to go to the station to get their license back? First, most stops have a "desk" to pay your fine. He is usually at a small makeshift table. Watch the Thai drivers, they will seek him out. Hand him your ticket, haggle with him and come to an agreement, he writes PAID on your ticket. Go hand it back to the ticketing officer, and get your license back. Smirk really big if you paid less than what he refused to take from you in the first place. Once you pay the "boss" he can't refuse to give you license back.

On the rare occasion where the cop won't give your license back, then call the police station and haggle on price. Then go to your ATM and pay your ticket through there, it is an option under Transfer money or pay bill of some sort. When that is done, call back to the police station to let them know it is paid and they will post the license back to you. I got mine in 2 days. If you are pulled over in the mean time, show your ticket and your paid ATM slip, and they will not fine you for not having your license.

In my case, I was parked on the side of the expressway leading to BKK airport waiting to pick someone up. Cop comes up, asks for my license and walks back to his car without saying a word. Then, he comes back, hands me a ticket, and walks away again without saying a word. I got out to speak to him, and he just drove off. So, that is how I know you can just call and negotiate a price over the phone, pay by ATM, and they will post it back. Simple. BTW, the ticket said 2000 baht fine, I paid 400. It would have been less if I could have spoken with the ticketing officer. I have never paid more than 200 baht for any offense.

To the OP, I argued with a cop at the Chonburi Motorway toll booth about fines. He showed me on his ticket pad what the fines were. It is written in Thai, but the numbers are clearly legible in typed English. It is a tiered structure. Let me try to remember... as in most countries, the faster you are going over the speed limit, the higher the fine. Something like 10kmh over, 20kmh over, etc. The fines went from 200 to 400 to 800 to 1000 I believe. I can't really recall. Next time you see a traffic cop, he will gladly show you.

most stops have a "desk" to pay your fine. He is usually at a small makeshift table.

Only one some motorways in and around BKK.. Up-country it's normally just a highway patrol car stopped by the side of the road with one officer running the radar and another one or two officers pulling people over. Normally they don't stay in the one location more than an hour or so..

One advantage in real speedchecks with plenty of officers and clercks to issue official fines, is that paying 200 baht officially gives you cart blanche for speeding until midnight.

One trip leaving Phuket I was caught at 162kmh (yepp my speed on cruise is usually 160kmh) in Phang Nah just leaving Phuket. 200 baht with ticket, pulled over 3 more times same day, and waved on when showing ticket. Any other country the law works this way:D

You are a very brave guy to do 160 on Thai roads :D.

If you know where they are there are sections of highway in Thailand you could do 200 kmh.:o

If you know where they are there are sections of highway in Thailand you could do 200 kmh.:o

On the elevated highways between Bangkok and Rayong/Chonburi, there really are good stretches of road with very few cars that do allow that speed. And, they are not patrolled or monitored by the police. Traffic is minimal because of the 65 baht toll fee.

You are a very brave guy to do 160 on Thai roads :D.

If you know where they are there are sections of highway in Thailand you could do 200 kmh.

Not worried about the BiB, worried about the natives and the really unexpected. :D.

Not brave, just plain stupid, but at least it keeps me awake while driving. and 160 is cruising speed, usually cruise control, there are several faster roads in LOS:D

I am a much better driver at 160-200 kmh doing 700-1200km a day focused, than half asleep at 120 kmh:)

And the rest.. ;)

This stretch (heading North) is usually one where you can see what your car can do without fear of any roadside hazards:

http://maps.google.c...6,0.132694&z=13

Arrow straight for many KM's at a stretch, good high speed bends, good surface, and usually almost totally deserted.. But do stay in the fast lane JIC an e-tan is making a big trek :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

A PDF download of the Land Traffic Act BE. 2522 http://thailaws.com/.../tlaw0140_5.pdf lists the various fines for traffic infringements. Section 67 shows 1,000 Baht as the fine for speeding.

All laws, acts, regulations in LOS state the MAX applicabel fine for offence, and as I said thats 1000 baht for speeding.

Most legal speed checks have on site clercks doing the fines and reports, and every single one for me has been 200 baht. Even saved some of themB)

Yes, 900 baht at the toll booth near the airport heading into Bangkok. They even gave me a receipt. Could not complain, they said I was doing 160, and I was going faster than that. Very polite, no lectures or other nonsense. Unfortunately they have taken one of the few roads on which it really is safe to speed and turned it into a speed trap.

• 4 months later...

i just got a ticket for 200kmh was actually doing more but I think the guy was guessing as he kept going on his radio and changing it, on the new link road into pattaya, it's a very wide road with four lanes and very light traffic