Driving From Trat To Hat Lek

jimmi

I will be driving from Trat to Hat Lek in about a week. Along highway 3/318 are there any check points. If so how many check points. Do the police at these check points give falangs any problems. A Thai friend in Isaan told me not to go there as these check points are a real problem. When I ask for more info from him, he could not give any more details. What's the story on these check points?

There are a couple of army checkpoints - but they wont stop you unless you look like you are shipping illegal immigrants into the country. I have driven from Trat to Hat Lek a dozen or more times and no hassle at all. Dont actually stop at the checkpoints just slow down. But if you were in an old pick up with loads of Isaanners who look Cambodian then they might get questioned. Take time to follow the coast road past the beaches and a couple of nice fishing villages too if you arent in a hurry.

There is also a police / army checkpoint on Highway 3 about 25km before you reach Trat, coming from Chantbauri direction. Again no hassles, I have been asked to show my driving license a couple of times but never have tpo pay anything as the army are there. ( I use an old UK licence from 20 years ago - a tatty bit of pink paper) They are also checking for road tax and anything dodgy coming into Thailand from Cambodia.