Phuket Consuls' Meet: Rape Unit, Passports Top Agenda

webfact

Phuket consuls' meet: Rape unit, passports top agenda

med_gallery_327_1086_79416.jpg

Consuls meeting is a positive step forward,

says German Ambassador to Thailand Hanns Schumacher.

PHUKET: -- Topping the billing at today’s meeting of top-level provincial officers with honorary consuls for 24 countries responsible for Phuket and southern Thailand were the setting up of a police anti-rape unit and the handling of passports.

Hanns Schumacher, German Ambassador to Thailand, told the Gazette, “We have a general problem that local police in particular who come in contact with Germans, and other European tourists, are not always playing by the rules.

“According to the Vienna convention on consular relations there is a commitment of local authorities whenever a foreign national is detained that the embassy is informed without any delay, or that the person concerned is given the right to call the embassy,” he explained.

“In addition, we have noticed recently that the practice of passports being confiscated – for whatever reasons – is still continuing,” he added.

On a positive note, though, the ambassador said, “I have heard with great interest from the ‘commissioner of police’ that the police have been changing their practice. I do sincerely hope that this will be the case in the future.

“Passports are the property of the issuing state and should not be withheld by the host country,” he said.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pekad Tantipong noted that Phuket police always reported arrests of foreigners to the relevant consulates, though he admitted the process was sometimes slow.

Cdr Pekad, however, also confirmed that vehicle rental companies had no right to withhold a passport from a foreigner, and that any foreigners who found themselves in such a position should report the company to the police.

Dirk Naumann, German honorary consul to Phuket, asked the commander for statistics of foreigners held at police stations for more than six hours.

This might prove difficult, Cdr Pekad replied, explaining that some small cases not worthy of reporting would only over-complicate cases that would just require fines.

Australian honorary consul Larry Cunningham said there were reports of some police asking foreigners for money to have their passports returned. To this, Cdr Pekad said he had already ordered all police in Phuket to not exhibit such behavior.

Following an earlier suggestion from Mr Cunningham, Cdr Pekad confirmed that police were currently setting up a special branch of English-speaking female officers experienced with rape cases to respond to rape victims, who Mr Cunningham said often did not want to tell the police, or a court, about their harrowing experience.

In the other direction, Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop asked the consuls to tell their respective nationals to listen to beach guards, to be aware of the red flags and warning signs in the monsoon season, especially at Karon Beach.

He pointed out that some foreigners, notably tourists from Russia and the Middle East, thought they were good swimmers and were free to do what they liked. That attitude may well have contributed to many of them drowning, he said.

Overall, the meeting was considered a positive step for Phuket. “This meeting today gave me the very good impression that the governor, the police, immigration, airport and other authorities are really willing to take up problems, to discuss them in a transparent manner with embassies and consulate officials. So the impression I am taking with me to Bangkok is very good. Phuket is developing in a very positive direction,” said Ambassador Schumacher.

Hélène Fallon-Wood, honorary consul for Ireland, agreed. “This has been a very good step forward for all foreign nationals who are living on or visiting Phuket and issues that have come up are being dealt with by the highest authorities.

“It’s a fantastic forum. This was our third meeting today. We are due to meet again on November 22 under the direction of the new governor of Phuket, so it is very nice to continue this forward so everybody can get the best out of it,” she said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-08-23

Sounds like a positive step. I hope the police do recognize that passports are the property of the issuing government! Ah yeah, sure they will... And report motorbike rental agencies that want to hold your passport to the police. So, the police can make some money from the rental place I guess? I'm just a bit cynical about the police... biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a positive step. I hope the police do recognize that passports are the property of the issuing government! Ah yeah, sure they will... And report motorbike rental agencies that want to hold your passport to the police. So, the police can make some money from the rental place I guess? I'm just a bit cynical about the police... biggrin.gif

It's really not that difficult: If the police hold (or want to hold) your passport, contact your local honorary consul or your embassy.

If the car or motorbike rental company wants to hold your passport, move away.

When I was a tourist and a traveller, I never let anybody hold my most valuable posession, the passport. This was without knowing the law, it's a gut feeling.

It's really not that difficult: If the police hold (or want to hold) your passport, contact your local honorary consul or your embassy.

When I was a tourist and a traveller, I never let anybody hold my most valuable posession, the passport. This was without knowing the law, it's a gut feeling.

This is in Phuket. The USA doesn't have an honorary consul here. The Consul outreach happens whenever they feel like it. BKK is the closest consul, and guess what, the Thai Police here don't follow any rules but their own, unless the top guys from BKK come down for an inspection. I have a car and two motorbikes in my name and all other contracts are in my name.

As far as traveling, I keep my passport as safe as possible. But it is the law in Thailand that you must carry your actual passport, not a copy, or you are subject to arrest. Same as a Thai national not carrying their ID card...

Thank you for your advice though! biggrin.gif

Edited by Jimi007

This is in Phuket. The USA doesn't have an honorary consul here. The Consul outreach happens whenever they feel like it. BKK is the closest consul, and guess what, the Thai Police here don't follow any rules but their own, unless the top guys from BKK come down for an inspection. I have a car and two motorbikes in my name and all other contracts are in my name.

As far as traveling, I keep my passport as safe as possible. But it is the law in Thailand that you must carry your actual passport, not a copy, or you are subject to arrest. Same as a Thai national not carrying their ID card...

Thank you for your advice though! biggrin.gif

It may be the law in Thailand to carry your passport at all times, but I have seen embassies advise to keep the passport in a safe place and carry a photocopy around instead. I have seen police accepting the photocopy as ID. Of course, if it is something serious, they will still ask for the original. I have not heard of any foreinger being arrested for the reason of carrying only a photocopy of his passport.

If you have a car and two motorbikes, I guess you will have a driver's licence. I always use my driver's licence for ID and it has always been accepted.

That said, if anybody takes your passport in Phuket and your country doesn't have a consul in Phuket, you can always call to Bangkok. Even if there were a consul in Phuket, you would still call ahead before visting, I'd guess.