Broken Wmv9 Codec - How To Fix?

katana

I recently installed a video editing suite on Win XP/SP3.

However shortly after I installed it, I found that Microsoft's Windows Media Player 9 (WMP9) playback of video files became corrupted with some files no longer playing at all (just a black screen with sound), to others with choppy video playback or distorted picture playback.

Uninstalling the offending software made no difference.

I was able to get .avis and some .wmv files to play again by allowing WMP9 to re-download the required codecs and by restoring the registry from an earlier date (I had backed up my registry). However at the moment, WMP9 playback of .wmv files with the 'Windows Media Video 9' (wmv9) codec are corrupted. The picture just plays back with rolling horizontal lines down the screen, although sound is unaffected. The picture looks a bit like that on an old cathode ray tube TV when the vertical hold has gone.

VLC player is able to play these wmv9 files ok though, presumably since it comes with its own codecs.

Also, trying to encode any file to WMV format in TMPGEnc 4.0 Express now fails with the error message 'Falied to obtain the codec information'' (80004002)'.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the 'windows media video 9 vcm codec' from Microsoft via Add/Remove Programs made no difference.

Any ideas on how to fix wmv9 playback?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Supernova:

Going to GraphStudio, here's a screenshot of one of the rendered problematic .wmv files.

I'm not really sure how to interpret it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

post-7357-037417200 1282762863_thumb.jpg

In GraphStudio, have you checked the decoder properties (right-click the color boxes)? I'm no expert at this stuff, but the AVI Decompressor seems way out of place. Here's a screen shot of mine in comparison:

libavcodec.png

As you can see, I use ffdshow to playback Windows Media. If I disable it, the "WMVideo Decoder DMO" becomes the default decoder for WMV files.

wmvdecoder.png

BTW, what video editing suite did you install? It would help to know the name of the program...

Edited by Supernova