Error On Letter Of Residency

NancyL

Today went to CM Immigration office for a Letter of Residency and decided to have a snack in the coffee/copy shop afterwards. Good thing. I was bored and decided to look over my new Letter of Residency and practice my Thai language reading skills. I didn't think my Tambon name was spelled the way I saw it on the Letter. Returned to Immigration office to learn that yes, they had listed the wrong Tambon. I don't know what could have happened if I hadn't checked or if I couldn't read some Thai. So, carefully check those Letters before you leave the office before you end up with an incorrect address on a drivers license, will or some other important document.

Why don't you get a yellow book and do away with the need for resident certificates once and for all?

That's a rather snobbish statement, when someone is just offering helpful advice.

So you have a yellow book.....well tickle my tits til Christmas, well done, congratulations, good for you.

Why don't you tell people exactly what's involved in order to get one?

Why don't you get a yellow book and do away with the need for resident certificates once and for all?

That's a rather snobbish statement, when someone is just offering helpful advice.

So you have a yellow book.....well tickle my tits til Christmas, well done, congratulations, good for you.

Why don't you tell people exactly what's involved in order to get one?

Noise annoys  ;)

I wrongly assumed, apparently, that long term residents knew about the yellow tabien baan and/or they would search TV for info. I know I have seen it covered several times.

I know some residents say it is too much trouble to go get one. A random resident certificate is easier. But I find it very, very useful. I have a copy of it with my car registration and once when I was stopped because the tag had expired (I forgot), I showed the policeman both. He then just told me to hurry up and get it registered. Did it make a difference? Who knows, but I like to think so.

As I remember the process I personally went through:

1. Got letter of residency

2. copied of all passport pages

3. wife got the blue tabien baan

4. we went to the amphur

5. she entered me in the blue book

6. the amphur then issued me a yellow book which shows that I live at a specific address.

I think it took about an hour; the time was because of the number of people there ahead of us rather than because of the process.

And it was interesting that they asked me for my long deceased parents names and they are shown in the yellow book.

For this to work, it assumes that you have a permanent address and the blue book holder is willing to add you as a resident. If the answer to either is NO, then you are probably out of luck. So if you are in a guest house, move around, on less that good terms with a landlord, or in some similar situation, you are probably not going to be able to get one. If you (your wife) own your house/condo, should be no problem.

Now, if I remember what condo owners told me, a condo owner can (maybe?) get a blue book? I am sure TV has the answer buried in its archives somewhere.

Edited by noise

I wrongly assumed, apparently, that long term residents knew about the yellow tabien baan and/or they would search TV for info. I know I have seen it covered several times.

I know some residents say it is too much trouble to go get one. A random resident certificate is easier. But I find it very, very useful. I have a copy of it with my car registration and once when I was stopped because the tag had expired (I forgot), I showed the policeman both. He then just told me to hurry up and get it registered. Did it make a difference? Who knows, but I like to think so.

As I remember the process I personally went through:

1. Got letter of residency

2. copied of all passport pages

3. wife got the blue tabien baan

4. we went to the amphur

5. she entered me in the blue book

6. the amphur then issued me a yellow book which shows that I live at a specific address.

I think it took about an hour; the time was because of the number of people there ahead of us rather than because of the process.

And it was interesting that they asked me for my long deceased parents names and they are shown in the yellow book.

For this to work, it assumes that you have a permanent address and the blue book holder is willing to add you as a resident. If the answer to either is NO, then you are probably out of luck. So if you are in a guest house, move around, on less that good terms with a landlord, or in some similar situation, you are probably not going to be able to get one. If you (your wife) own your house/condo, should be no problem.

Now, if I remember what condo owners told me, a condo owner can (maybe?) get a blue book? I am sure TV has the answer buried in its archives somewhere.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

No, you didn't wrongly assume that long term residents knew about the yellow book, as I think most do.

You wrongly assumed that all long term residents are in a position to get one.

noise,

I cannot get a yellow book. I am not eligible.

See, some of us prefer to lease or rent. A LOT of us prefer to lease or rent. I like a house, with birds, green, air and the smell of ....never mind. I like it.

There are many other reasons for renting or leasing, but some of us are not engaged in relationships with Thais, for example, that would allow a house or country living; others do not like condo living, which would allow a book (IF one owns it). Some may be keeping out an anchor in case the political winds change; others (let us imagine LOADED with money) don't want to commit funds in Thailand just now (can't think why). Still others can't afford to buy, to be sure.

So when you say, "Why don't you just get a ...." - I conclude that you want me to marry a Thai, adopt a Thai, or pay a Thai, or buy a condo.

We don't want to just now and maybe forever. That's why some of us took umbrage. I do not mind, though, because before my operation I was myopic too.

On the other hand, we are a little miffed to have to go to Immigration for a document that is only good for one month, even though our visa information and housing information, properly documented, runs on for much longer. And we are miffed when we have to pay 500 baht and hear that such a charge is not levied elsewhere. And it bothers us a little if errors are made for our 500 baht, so we welcome gratefully an alert such as the one we received from OP and posters here.

So thereB)

Edited by CMX

all the barriers and restrictions on foreign investment I consider to be a public service. 5 years ago I contemplated buying a condo in CM. Thank goodness I didn't. The prices are the same now.

It's easy for me to buy 2 and 3 year Brazil Govt bonds(BAA3/BBB-) which yield over 9-12% and the country is very well run and currency is appreciating. With currency appreciation that part of my portfolio is nearing 20% annual returns. If I had a lot of assets tied up in a condo(s) etc in Thailand I would want to cry right now.

Holding a non appreciating asset like a Thai condo and losing out on double digit returns for 5+ years means I would have lost nearly 50% of my capitals opportunity cost.

Thank you Thailand !!!!!

all the barriers and restrictions on foreign investment I consider to be a public service. 5 years ago I contemplated buying a condo in CM. Thank goodness I didn't. The prices are the same now.

It's easy for me to buy 2 and 3 year Brazil Govt bonds(BAA3/BBB-) which yield over 9-12% and the country is very well run and currency is appreciating. With currency appreciation that part of my portfolio is nearing 20% annual returns. If I had a lot of assets tied up in a condo(s) etc in Thailand I would want to cry right now.

Holding a non appreciating asset like a Thai condo and losing out on double digit returns for 5+ years means I would have lost nearly 50% of my capitals opportunity cost.

Thank you Thailand !!!!!

Hmmm,

If you had bought a condo in CM 5 years ago, you would have a tangible asset that you could have lived in and enjoyed, or gained a rental income from. Selling it today would also give you a profit in real terms because of the exchange rate.

I bought my condo at 67 baht to £1. Today it is more like 48 baht to £1 - but I have no desire to sell in the near future.

I hear those who boast of their clever paper investments (perhaps not so many now) - good luck.

Rgds

Edited by Contractor

noise,

I cannot get a yellow book. I am not eligible.

See, some of us prefer to lease or rent. A LOT of us prefer to lease or rent. I like a house, with birds, green, air and the smell of ....never mind. I like it.

There are many other reasons for renting or leasing, but some of us are not engaged in relationships with Thais, for example, that would allow a house or country living; others do not like condo living, which would allow a book (IF one owns it). Some may be keeping out an anchor in case the political winds change; others (let us imagine LOADED with money) don't want to commit funds in Thailand just now (can't think why). Still others can't afford to buy, to be sure.

So when you say, "Why don't you just get a ...." - I conclude that you want me to marry a Thai, adopt a Thai, or pay a Thai, or buy a condo.

We don't want to just now and maybe forever. That's why some of us took umbrage. I do not mind, though, because before my operation I was myopic too.

On the other hand, we are a little miffed to have to go to Immigration for a document that is only good for one month, even though our visa information and housing information, properly documented, runs on for much longer. And we are miffed when we have to pay 500 baht and hear that such a charge is not levied elsewhere. And it bothers us a little if errors are made for our 500 baht, so we welcome gratefully an alert such as the one we received from OP and posters here.

So thereB)

You can get a yellow tabian baan without owning any property or being married. In this case though you need the cooperation of your landlord. If you are a good tenant on a lease, the landlord may well be willing to help if you offer a lease extension in return. It is certainly very useful to have one.

Edited by neilrob

Quite right, and a yellow book would have saved me hours over at Immigration, plus baht, minus those involved in getting one. Incidentally, anyone who is ever there when aircons are out of service on a particularly hot or humid day, please say hello.

Of course, even assuming that I am a good tenant on a lease, the relationship with the landlord you describe is likely to hinge on many complicating factors, such as next year's lease price - or my future possibilities.

But definitely worth exploring, especially at the end of next year's negotiations but perhaps just before signing, if all the other stars are aligned, thanks.

Edited by CMX

Thank you Thailand !!!!!

please be kind enough and show us the appreciation of BRL vs. THB on the 5-year chart below. besides, BRL denominated bonds (debtor Brazil) with maturities of 2-3 years yielding 12% cannot be bought by non-domestic investors and yields of >9% can only be achieved with maturities 2016, 2022 and 2028.

post-35218-033200400 1282873232_thumb.jp

Edited by Naam

All this discussion of the yellow book has created an idea that maybe we should bring up this issue with our landlord when it's time to re-up on our lease. I'm not married to a Thai and we prefer to rent for the many reasons listed in this thread. We rent a condo and I didn't realize that it was an option for us to piggyback on the condo owner's yellow book. Thank you, Noise, for your kind suggestion and to everyone who clarified that we might be able to get one even though we rent and aren't married to Thais.

Hubby has suggested that life would be so much easier if he could just get a Thai mia noi and we could do everything in her name. Yeah, like that's going to happen!

I thought part of the condition of getting a yellow book, was can agreement to add you to the land title deed at the land office (or is this just for a usufruct)?

I couldn't see many landlords adding anyone to land deeds or Tabien Bahns.......may be I'm wrong? :unsure:

Just remember that requirements for a Yellow Tabian Baan, aka house book do not stay the same. It will change from Chiang Mai to Sansi to Doi Saket etc. If you want a book it is generally not that hard but you need to check with your local amphur on their requirements.

I thought part of the condition of getting a yellow book, was can agreement to add you to the land title deed at the land office (or is this just for a usufruct)?

I couldn't see many landlords adding anyone to land deeds or Tabien Bahns.......may be I'm wrong? :unsure:

I think you are confusing the yellow tabian baan with something else. You are not added to the title deed or even to the real tabian baan, which is blue. Only Thais get their name in a blue tabian baan (foreigners who buy a condo can get a blue tabian baan, but it is blank where the name of the owner would normally be). Instead you get a yellow tabian baan, which does not give you any rights over the property, simply certifies where you live. The only reason you need the cooperation of the landlord is that he or she must certify you live there and fill in some forms etc.---the only requirement on the landlord is thus some bureaucratic form filling.

I think you are confusing the yellow tabian baan with something else. You are not added to the title deed or even to the real tabian baan, which is blue. Only Thais get their name in a blue tabian baan (foreigners who buy a condo can get a blue tabian baan, but it is blank where the name of the owner would normally be). Instead you get a yellow tabian baan, which does not give you any rights over the property, simply certifies where you live. The only reason you need the cooperation of the landlord is that he or she must certify you live there and fill in some forms etc.---the only requirement on the landlord is thus some bureaucratic form filling.

Right thanks for that. Yes the yellow book is obviously something else.

I have a 'usufruct' and my name is on the land title deed.