Viet Nam, Cambodia, Or Phil For A Week'S Break From Los

jaideeguy

I will have a week off at the end of October and the first of November and want to take a break from the Thai insanity and experience another kind of insanity. Soft adventure for a 60+yr old.....not backpacker, I need decent food and a soft bed.

I was considering Burma until i read an earlier post saying that the elections will be held on 7 Nov and maybe not a good place to be?/

Any recomendations appreciated.....

I went to Manila and Davao City a few months ago, and it was very convenient and cheap. Next month I will go to Manila and Cebu for another break from Bangkok.

I use agoda to get good deals on hotels. Most people speak English, so almost no language issues. I suggest you don't stay in Manila as it's massively congested.

On an ethical level, I wouldn't go to Burma and spend my money there, which will find it's way to helping to prop up that evil reign.

Depends what you want to do on your break.

Sit on a beach? Trekking? Sighseeing? Moving around or staying in 1 place?

I've not been to PP in Cambodia but Angkor Wat is well worth a visit for a couple of days.

I used to live in Manila and have travelled around Philippines so would recommend Viet Nam.

South / Central VN if you want beaches. Ha Noi for sighseeing, Sa pa for trekking.

I agree with PattayaParent. VN has lots to offer. Beaches to easy trekking to big cities.

You mentioned good food...IMHO...that knocks out the PI! :rolleyes:

A few other choices would be Penang or Bali? But I think VN would fit the bill...have a blast!

Agree that Phil is the last choice, but having live there myself for 7 yrs, I still have some friends there......the only reason to go, but avoid Manila completely.

VN does sound interesting and have been reading up on the coastal train trip......sounds like a fun, but soft adventure. can anyone make recomendations as to which direction would be better in a soft sleeper for viewing coast?/ north to south or opposite?? and any nice stopovers along the way??

Hoi An is nice, interesting little town and nice beaches.

Hue, a historic former capital.

But it's a stretch trying to do North and South in 1 week, better go to one and see the places around.

eg. Ha Noi and visit Ha Long Bay, Bac Ninh, Perfumed Pergoda, and a week has just flown by.

Edit: or HCMC, Chu Chi Tunnels, Vung Tao.

Edited by PattayaParent

Agree that Phil is the last choice, but having live there myself for 7 yrs, I still have some friends there......the only reason to go, but avoid Manila completely.

VN does sound interesting and have been reading up on the coastal train trip......sounds like a fun, but soft adventure. can anyone make recomendations as to which direction would be better in a soft sleeper for viewing coast?/ north to south or opposite?? and any nice stopovers along the way??

Doesn't matter as the compartment is on the side away from the coast line, but you can stand in the corridor and look out of the window.

Hoi An is nice, interesting little town and nice beaches.

Hue, a historic former capital.

But it's a stretch trying to do North and South in 1 week, better go to one and see the places around.

eg. Ha Noi and visit Ha Long Bay, Bac Ninh, Perfumed Pergoda, and a week has just flown by.

Edit: or HCMC, Chu Chi Tunnels, Vung Tao.

You could for sure keep yourself busy for a week in just Hanoi and surroundings. The city is worth at least 2 full days to check out. Lonely Planet has a great walk that goes through the old town. Really cool. Halong Bay is a fun 2-3 night trip. Touristy, but very beautiful and different. Sapa will take a few days. Then are many other great day trips in and around the area. Lonely Planet has a forum called The Thorn Tree. Worth checking it out for pretty good recommendations on accommodations, restaurants, etc.

Take the 1 hour Air Asia flight to Phnom Penh, ( visa on arrival) for 2 days and nights then up to Siem Rep and vist Angkor Wat. A must see for anyone.

Bali is great place as well and you cna find good inexpensive places to stay. Avoid Kuta and take a taxi from the airport right up to Ubid and hang out there the whole time, Plenty to see and if ur adventerous. rent a car ( about $1200/day) and head up north

• Like 1

Take the 1 hour Air Asia flight to Phnom Penh, ( visa on arrival) for 2 days and nights then up to Siem Rep and vist Angkor Wat. A must see for anyone.

Bali is great place as well and you cna find good inexpensive places to stay. Avoid Kuta and take a taxi from the airport right up to Ubid and hang out there the whole time, Plenty to see and if ur adventerous. rent a car ( about $1200/day) and head up north

Is that USD? or Baht?

phuketrichard' timestamp='1283054728' post='3846980']

Should you want relaxation and good food , stay on the river-side where there are good hotels , even a luxury room with balcony for $35.00 pn overlooking the river . the esplanade has been reconstructed for pedestrians only , where you can walk in a liesurly manner without having to circumnavigate motos and all of the other disturbing hazards . There are trash cans everywhere and seats to sit and view the river with all of its goings on whilst taking advantage of its cooling breezes , vendors are available with snacks and soft drinks whilst personel patrol to keep things in order .

On the opposite side of the street there are a multitude of restaurants catering for most diets and tastes , comfortable open air bars with reasonable charges and pleasant staff , with of course the host of tuk-tuks and moto men waiting to whisk you off wheresoever your tiny heart desires , ask some-one you are sat with for the appropriate fee so you are able to negotiate . To obtain 'Other services'' you can go to street 184 , where many foriegners party and give sustinance to thier 'Nether regions' at reasonable cost also .

The royal palace woud be a good casual sight to enjoy , it is vast and still used for special events , you need to dress in a decent manner to be allowed in . The long boat races are a sight for sore eyes , very spectacular , with people coming in from villages by the thousand to cheer on the village boat , they are part of the changing of the river celebration , some time towards the end of November .

Whatever your choice of venue , relax , be happy and enjoy .