New To Teaching

hello, i am just about to finish a celta tefl course in london...my plan is to remain in london to save a few more lovely british pounds and go to thailand in early 2006...

i have a bachelor degree in social work and a master's degree in ethics and legal studies...in addition now, i will have my celta paperwork...

i do not have any experience in teaching English as a second language, although i may have it before i go to thailand...

as stated, i was planning on arriving at the end of january...is there work available in bkk at this time? When do employers begin interviewing, and hiring?

even though my two degrees are unrelated to tefl, will they influence the kind of jobs, and salaries i can reasonabley apply for?

My master's degree was aquired with distinction, is there much work available to do research, or consultancy in areas such as aged care, drug and alcohol, hiv/aids, mental health as i have social work experience in those areas...

i have experience, from social work, in adult education, but in relation to behavioural/relationship dynamics...is this relevant to tefl?

I understand that the job must come first and an apartment second...any suggestions of cheap, reasonable conditioned accommodation until a job is aquired?

edward der grosse

There is always work all year round. What will vary is the quality of jobs.

Most schools follow the May - October, November - March school year so you are coming in part way through the 2nd semester. You may be lucky and find a good job but more likely you will get an ok one and then in April/ May get a better one.

As far as schools go, there may be a slight difference in the salary, it depends on the school. Have a look at the job ads now on ajrn.com and eslcafe.com that will give you an idea.

With your quals, you might get a NGO job. It may be easier to get them in the uk rather than be a local hire, not sure. But bear in mind you could be competing with thais with the same quals but who would get paid a damm site less than you.

• 2 weeks later...
There is always work all year round.  What will vary is the quality of jobs.

Most schools follow the May - October, November - March school year so you are coming in part way through the 2nd semester.  You may be lucky and find a good job but more likely you will get an ok one and then in April/ May get a better one.

As far as schools go, there may be a slight difference in the salary, it depends on the school.  Have a look at the job ads now on ajrn.com and eslcafe.com  that will give you an idea.

With your quals, you might get a NGO job.  It may be easier to get them in the uk rather than be a local hire, not sure.  But bear in mind you could be competing with thais with the same quals but who would get paid a damm site less than you.