Passport Expires Soon...

Hello All,

I am British, under retirement age and not married to a Thai.

I have been stupid enough to only notice that my passport is due to expire on the 11th March next year. I am aware that immigration requirements are that passports must be valid for at least 6 months from date of arrival for entry into Thailand. Making this September 11th 2010.

I am currently in Bangkok having arrived using visa on arrival stamps. My last visa run across the border takes me up to the 7th September. However, I wish to stay longer and was planning on flying out of Thailand, returning to get a 30 day stamp.

I have contacted the, not very helpful, embassy. I was told that I need to send my passport to Hong Kong and they will be able to issue a new one. But this will mean that I will be overstaying my visa until it is returned. According to the website this could take around 30 days.

Other than the flames, what advice or options do you all have? I know that passport enquiries are handled by Careline Services Limited and they have a help line to call.

Thanks for the time,

Benson

It is not necessary to send the actual passport to Hong Kong; just the application form, pictures, photocopy of old passport data page, and fees etc. Check the British Embassy, Thailand website for further details. You keep the unexpired passport in your possession here in Thailand.

Edited by InterestedObserver

It is not necessary to send the actual passport to Hong Kong, just the application form, pictures, photocopy of old passport and fees etc. Check the British Embassy website for further details. You keep the unexpired passport in your possession here in Thailand.

True. It is actually ilegal to give your passport to ANYONE. That is why they put a stop to all these visa run companies that used to take your passport and return it to you.

Also I'm Canadian and last year when my passport was almost ful I went into the Canadian Embassy in Bkk and applied for a new 42 page passport. They took my old one, gave me a piece of notarized paper and a copy of my passport. They had to send it back to Canada and it qwent through Ottawa etc but luckely enough i had me new passport in the embassy in bkk after 7 days.

I have just had my british passport renewed while in Bangkok and it was easy.

Get all the needed documents ready before you do your next visa flight., When

you return to Bangkok go to the British embassy the next day, they will review all

your paper work and then they will send it to Bangkok for you.

I had mine back on the 10th business day after handing it in

I have just had my british passport renewed while in Bangkok and it was easy.

Get all the needed documents ready before you do your next visa flight., When

you return to Bangkok go to the British embassy the next day, they will review all

your paper work and then they will send it to Bangkok for you.

I had mine back on the 10th business day after handing it in

I've PM'd you for more details. Thanks

geoffphuket

Quote from the British Embassy website in Bangkok:

From 9 August onwards, we will not be accepting applications to renew British Passports at this Embassy.

In line with other British Embassies across Asia these applications will be processed by our Regional Processing Centre in Hong Kong. This will not affect the present four week turn-around time expected.

If you are applying for a British Passport for the first time, or your passport is lost/stolen or damaged (and are not renewing your present passport), we will continue to accept your applications at this Embassy.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

Got to say, the British Embassy web site is really confusing. Here they say you can't apply for a replacement in Bangkok:

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/apply-from-se-asia/thailand/

And here they say you can:

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/apply-from-se-asia/thailand/other-categories

So which is it?

You will waste time sending it to Bangkok ( unless it is lost, stolen or damaged )

Send it straight to Hong Kong - you only send a copy there so you will still have your real passport. Reports I have read suggest about 10 days.

Make sure you comply exactly to the photo requirements. The Embassy website has all the instructions.

It is not necessary to send the actual passport to Hong Kong, just the application form, pictures, photocopy of old passport and fees etc. Check the British Embassy website for further details. You keep the unexpired passport in your possession here in Thailand.

True. It is actually ilegal to give your passport to ANYONE. That is why they put a stop to all these visa run companies that used to take your passport and return it to you.

Alarmist claptrap. There are many times when you need to give your passport to someone. I'll bet your one of these "you have to carry your passport 24/7" protaganists also. :rolleyes:

You will waste time sending it to Bangkok ( unless it is lost, stolen or damaged )

Send it straight to Hong Kong - you only send a copy there so you will still have your real passport. Reports I have read suggest about 10 days.

Make sure you comply exactly to the photo requirements. The Embassy website has all the instructions.

Most sensible advice so far - listen to this guy and you won't go far wrong.

BTW the 6 month rule is only normally noticed by airlines, if you are in a tight spot and do a land border run, 99% of the time you will be fine. If posting to HK may as well get a receipt also (describing the contents and destination) and carry this when you go, this at least shows intent.

Good luck

Edited by QED

Leave the country on the 7th Sept, fly back in the country and you have 30 days the time before you need to have your passport back.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. I think that I will go for this option.

My only concern is if they notice when I come back to Bangkok and I try get a 30 day stamp that I don't have the 6 months left on the passport. Do you think that they will notice or check?

Thanks and best regards to you all

• 3 weeks later...

Well I survived! For anyone searching for this next time…

I got a flight from Bangkok to Cambodia on the 3rd and returned on the 7th. The 7th was the date 6 months before the passport expired. I had no problems coming back into BKK and gained another 30 day stamp.

I have sent my passport application off to Hong Kong and I hope to have a new passport soon. Application forms can be found at the British embassy website for Thailand. Easy!