Rejected For 1 Year Multiple Entry Visa In Kl

Sorry your application got rejected . A bit of a surprise really cause you have a legitimate right to stay with your family .

perhaps they are shaping their policies again , I remember they did that before , and later on take it easy again , Penang even more so .

I've got no idea if you will be able to do it in penang , or if they are given it out there at the moment , sure some others know this from recent reports , so long they do not give you a red stamp in your passport it might be good to give it a try .

The 30 days VOA , or is it 15 ,is not as in the past , not unlimited anymore , the onlt other thing you could do is go to your home country to get a multiple or do the extension if you got 400k , its not that hard to do if you got the money .

Good luck and keep it posted how things are going , hope others will do too , so we can be warned and ready for possible situations .

btw you could try Bali as well , nice place to visit too . I know someone who got it a short while ago .

Thailand seems to change the rules daily, two months ago I got my one year Non 0 visa in Penang (through Banana Guest house on Chulia Street) I have 6 previous 1 hyear visas in this passport,,, I can't help but think there is a misunderstanding of some sort,, Good luck!!

i don't think their was a misunderstanding, as they did ask specifically for other bank account statements. At the time, i did not think why, but comments from another poster about 'logical funds' and 'frequent travellers' did make me realise that my personal and financial situation is not the same as most others. i honestly do believe that if i had my other bank statements with me i would have been approved, so ther people who are not of retiring age and living off their savings should take extra proof of funds. also, i believe that most people will not have problems getting 1 year visa from KL with normal documents required, but the real question is for how long? In the 6 years i have been married, i have received two 1 year visas from penang until they stopped issuing them, then one from singapore until they changed their policies, one in KL and then the rejection this time. KL has been the destination of choice for 1 year visas for about two years now, so statistically KL is due a policy change. i am sure that some time in the future, the only place to go is back to your home country.

Could very well be they become overloaded ( KL ) .

It could very well be as you said the only place to go back to is your home country .

Makes me think about the comment from a Honorary consul , thought from Canada , who posted on this forum , telling us they were thinking that the Thai government was trying to eradicate all consuls , they can stay open when they make a profit , the free touristvisas is killing all consulates everywhere of their profits , so also their existence to stay open . Not sure if it really turns out like this , but Perth is already closing .

Let us not talk about doomscenarios , cause its been for years that rumours dominate , but the call from a real consulate officer means is pretty serious imho .

I don't believe its a good thing for us having to deal with embassies only , cause they are famous for being arrogant and unhelpful , at least in Europe they are terrible , except the consulates who are run by locals are extremely helpful , and flabbergusted at times how things and rules change all the time ....

But right here in the area , you can get multiples on Bali and in India as well , bali

got a one man consulate giving out easy but not used many ....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the same boat as the OP, refusing the humiliation given to both my wife and me by the arrogant and nosey Immigation offers for 4 Years in a row, plus having to cope with new regulations all the time, and watching them as they making them up as we speak, and demanding bribes from the lawyer who was in the past accompanying us, I said this spring 'Enough is Enough!" As I have to travel more often this and the coming Year, I went to KL for a 1 Year Multiple O Visa. I had several 1 Year extensions at the Immigration stamped in my passport, which is valid another four Years, and about 6 pages left.

No problems.

I really wonder what made them turn down this application.

1. From personal experience I can only recommend Hull.

2. When the yellow shirts occupied the airport my flight to Thailand was canceled. I would have arrived a week before my non-0 expired and therefore would have got 3 month of stay . I did arrive in fact a day after expiration and was given 30 days on arrival. We had a family emergency (my Thai wife's mother had broken her spine in a bike accident). I myself had planned to find a hospital in Bangkok as I needed surgery. I am over 50 and have been married for a few years. Regardless of all this my application for a 60 day extension was refused twice at the immigration office in Bung Khan, even though I could show them the relevant legislation (police order) in Thai and English. I was not given a proper reason, just went away with the feeling that they had not understood what I wanted int he first place. We ended up going to Vientiane for a tourist visa which covered the two month more I needed to stay.

The point I try to make is that you indeed always rely on the "discretion of the officer". If you want to reduce uncertainty it seems a lot better to plan a trip to the UK for example to get your visa sorted there. Good luck Stefan

I can only offer one piece of advice. I can personally attest that the Perth, Australia Thai consulate is an easy place to get a one year O visa. I merely had to say that I had a Thai gf (copy of id card and address) and I was in business. Others agree. Perhaps a trip to sunny Perth?

Perth is closing soon, I forgot the date, but the closing has been confirmed by their staff.

October 10th. 2010 the consul in Perth is retiring after many years of service.

Since the OP says he doesn't need to work, it would be much easier to get a one year extension in Thailand based on marriage to a Thai by showing the requisite B400k and save all this hassle.

If you have British and Hong Kong SAR passports, that should add another string to your bow in terms of being able to alternate passports and not show too many back to back visas to curious officials. Briish citizens British Nationals Overseas and Hong Kong SAR passport holders all have the same entitlement to 30 days visa free travel to Thailand.

Incidentally the Hong Kong SAR has done much better than Thailand in getting its travel document accepted for visa free travel or visa on arrival, even though it is not even a sovereign state. The HK passport gets you into 141 countries, including the UK, several other Western European countries and Canada. Thai passports get you into some 70 countries but, apart from Russia, South Africa and ASEAN countries, most of these are banana republics. Before everyone rushes to apply, HKSAR passports are only issued to Chinese Nationals who also hold right of abode in Hong Kong. Holding both HKSAR and British National (Overseas) passports is permitted, since China quite rightly doesn't regard BNO entitlement as a citizenship, but holding an HKSAR passport and a real British passport is illegal because dual citizenship is prohibited under Chinese nationality law.

Re honorary consulates staffed by farangs in the UK. I heared that the Liverpool consulate was closing but I believe the Hull consulate is still going. Any updates on these?

Edited by Arkady

Since the OP says he doesn't need to work, it would be much easier to get a one year extension in Thailand based on marriage to a Thai by showing the requisite B400k and save all this hassle.

If you have British and Hong Kong SAR passports, that should add another string to your bow in terms of being able to alternate passports and not show too many back to back visas to curious officials. Briish citizens British Nationals Overseas and Hong Kong SAR passport holders all have the same entitlement to 30 days visa free travel to Thailand.

Incidentally the Hong Kong SAR has done much better than Thailand in getting its travel document accepted for visa free travel or visa on arrival, even though it is not even a sovereign state. The HK passport gets you into 141 countries, including the UK, several other Western European countries and Canada. Thai passports get you into some 70 countries but, apart from Russia, South Africa and ASEAN countries, most of these are banana republics. Before everyone rushes to apply, HKSAR passports are only issued to Chinese Nationals who also hold right of abode in Hong Kong. Holding both HKSAR and British National (Overseas) passports is permitted, since China quite rightly doesn't regard BNO entitlement as a citizenship, but holding an HKSAR passport and a real British passport is illegal because dual citizenship is prohibited under Chinese nationality law.

Re honorary consulates staffed by farangs in the UK. I heared that the Liverpool consulate was closing but I believe the Hull consulate is still going. Any updates on these?

i have a full british passport, and a permanent HK id card and right of abode. i was there during the hand back of Hk to China, and i was told i could keep both British passport and HK id card. are you saying i cannot get a HK passport, even though i have a HK id card? if so, do i now have to give up my HK id card also?

@Manicminer - I couldn't get a 1 year multiple entry visa either, although my employer and lwayers had asked for one, KL just gave me 90 days single, and so of course I have to renew. Her's one option, and a friend of mine (American) does this every year, he has a Thai fiancee but lives in Malaysia....and he gets a one year multiple everytime!

Get two UK passports (the embassy should issue you with that), then fly cheap cheap to Penang or Phnom Penh - wherever, with both your passports. The one with the exit stamp from Thailand you DHL or FedEx to a mate in the UK, you give them the form with necessary photos and money and they post internally to the Hull consulate. Meanwhile you fly into Thailand with your second passport. When first passport is ready in the UK get it DHLed to an address overseas, go and pick it up and then enter Thailand with your new 1 year visa attached. My friend has been doing this for 3 years - just an option.

Were you able to provide a logical source of funds? Do you believe it a foreign job and frequent travel might have been accepted as a reason for using this type of visa?

Not trying to question you but the more information for others the better and if you had a long conversation you might have picked up on what they might have been looking at.

they did ask if i had bank statements of my home country accounts, which i did not have as it was not one of the stated requirements. i am not of retiring age, and do not need to work, so looking back it could be that my age was of disadvantage to me - i guess it is a sin to be relatively young and wealthy - but this did not stop me from obtaining visas in the past. Maybe they wrongly assumed i must be working illegally in Thailand, so my guess is that people of retiring age or are frequent travellers will not have any problems. another strange thing was they actually stuck a multiple entry visa into my passport, but it was not stamped. when they offered me the single entry, they just crossed out the 'M' and wrote 'S' beside it, so i am thinking the boss change his mind at the last minute.

I am confused.

You do not need to work. You say you are young and wealthy.

Why do you not apply for a Married Extension at Imigration in Thailand?

Yes, i have done the 1 year extension before, but i find the whole process intrusive and demeaning, when they ask you questions like whether we are having sex or not - maybe i should take my baby along as proof. as this has to be done every year, i do not wish to put my wife through it again, unless as a last resort. i much prefer to get 1 year visas until i am of retirement age when i just have to provide proof of 800k in the bank, and apply on my own. i would just like to thank everybody for their suggestions and help. My plan of action is first to renew my British passport, and go try in penang. if that does not work out, i will go back to the uk. the uk option sounds like a sure thing, but if for some unknown reason they refuse me, i can just get a Hong Kong passport and come in on 30 days entries and tourist visas.

@Manicminer - I couldn't get a 1 year multiple entry visa either, although my employer and lwayers had asked for one, KL just gave me 90 days single, and so of course I have to renew. Her's one option, and a friend of mine (American) does this every year, he has a Thai fiancee but lives in Malaysia....and he gets a one year multiple everytime!

Get two UK passports (the embassy should issue you with that), then fly cheap cheap to Penang or Phnom Penh - wherever, with both your passports. The one with the exit stamp from Thailand you DHL or FedEx to a mate in the UK, you give them the form with necessary photos and money and they post internally to the Hull consulate. Meanwhile you fly into Thailand with your second passport. When first passport is ready in the UK get it DHLed to an address overseas, go and pick it up and then enter Thailand with your new 1 year visa attached. My friend has been doing this for 3 years - just an option.

that's a pretty innovative process. in fact, if you just stayed overseas, you wouldn't even need the second passport. there are plenty of cheap hotels in penang, so if you just stay there for a week, it would work out cheaper considering the cost of a passport. but is it legal?

While you may have properly exited Thailand, it would be obvious that your passport has never entered UK or any EU country ... You however are asked to certify as below ...

Royal Thai Consulate

Priory Court Saxon Way Hessle Hull HU13 9PB

VISA APPLICATION FORM

Date of departure from UK: _______________________________ Date of arrival in Thailand: _______________________________________

I hereby certify that the information given in this form is correct

Signature of applicant: ___________________________________ Date: ________________________________________________________

Edited by jazzbo

While you may have properly exited Thailand, it would be obvious that your passport has never entered UK or any EU country ... You however are asked to certify as below ...

Royal Thai Consulate

Priory Court Saxon Way Hessle Hull HU13 9PB

VISA APPLICATION FORM

Date of departure from UK: _______________________________ Date of arrival in Thailand: _______________________________________

I hereby certify that the information given in this form is correct

Signature of applicant: ___________________________________ Date: ________________________________________________________

yes, i thought it sounded a bit dodgy. i haven't been to the UK for sometime, but i thought that if you entered the UK on a UK passport, it is not stamped on entry. When i enter Hong Kong, i don't even need to show my passport: i just flash my id card and i am in.

I recomment the 1 year extensions. Who cares what questions they ask

I don't see the problem either. Of course they refused to give you more multiple-entry non-B visas, they're not being used for the purpiose they were intended. They're not for border runners, they're for non-immigrant residents.

I've got the extension of stay quite easily in Chiang Mai, no annoying questions as mentioned. Perhaps you give them some reason to suspect your marriage is a front? Or maybe it's just your attitude.

At any rate, you're better off following the law, staying legal, doing it by the books, then getting two passports, trying to change embassies and consulates etc. Seems to me that is *much* more hassle than answering a few questions.

Can anyone help clarify? Is 100k in the bank sufficient for an "0" visa with others necessary documents if i married with a Thai lady? Why is the thread owner said he has only 100k baht and not 400k baht as i always read. Many thx to all.

100k is the requirement in Kuala Lumpur to issue a multi entry non immigrant visa valid for one year of 90 day stays if married to a Thai.

400k is the Immigration requirement to extend your stay inside Thailand for one year for those married to a Thai woman.

Completely different things.

i have a full british passport, and a permanent HK id card and right of abode. i was there during the hand back of Hk to China, and i was told i could keep both British passport and HK id card. are you saying i cannot get a HK passport, even though i have a HK id card? if so, do i now have to give up my HK id card also?

You are entitled to keep your HK ID card and maintain right of abode with British or any other nationality but you are not entitled an HKSAR passport unless you are a Chinese citizen with right of abode in Hong Kong.

Re two British passports, this is still possible but you have to present an acceptable reason in the form of a company letter explaining that you need two passports to facilitate extensive business travel to countries that require visas or that you need to travel to both Israel and Arab countries or something similar. They will also check your passport for non-immigrant B visa and evidence of extensive business travel and I am sure it is much harder to get a second passport now that they are issued by UKBA in Hong Kong and there is no opportunity to explain your case to a vice-consul in Bangkok. I very much doubt that a second UK passport would be issued to an unemployed border runner. The guy you refer to probably had a job when he got the two passports. I have had two for nearly 30 years but find it not so useful living in Thailand any more, since you have to enter and exit on the same passport and many embassies in Bangkok will now no longer issue visas in a passport without a Thai entry stamp. When I lived in the UK the second passport was useful for applying for visas to countries like the former USSR that took weeks to process visa applications. That meant I could still travel on my other passport while waiting. In those days there was also a prohibition on travel to some African countries like Nigeria, if they found a South African stamp in your passport. I don't think I will bother with the trouble and expense of applying to renew my third second UK passport when it expires.

Edited by Arkady

You are entitled to keep your HK ID card and maintain right of abode with British or any other nationality but you are not entitled an HKSAR passport unless you are a Chinese citizen with right of abode in Hong Kong.

Re two British passports, this is still possible but you have to present an acceptable reason in the form of a company letter explaining that you need two passports to facilitate extensive business travel to countries that require visas or that you need to travel to both Israel and Arab countries or something similar. They will also check your passport for non-immigrant B visa and evidence of extensive business travel and I am sure it is much harder to get a second passport now that they are issued by UKBA in Hong Kong and there is no opportunity to explain your case to a vice-consul in Bangkok. I very much doubt that a second UK passport would be issued to an unemployed border runner. The guy you refer to probably had a job when he got the two passports. I have had two for nearly 30 years but find it not so useful living in Thailand any more, since you have to enter and exit on the same passport and many embassies in Bangkok will now no longer issue visas in a passport without a Thai entry stamp. When I lived in the UK the second passport was useful for applying for visas to countries like the former USSR that took weeks to process visa applications. That meant I could still travel on my other passport while waiting. In those days there was also a prohibition on travel to some African countries like Nigeria, if they found a South African stamp in your passport. I don't think I will bother with the trouble and expense of applying to renew my third second UK passport when it expires.

Just wondering if you know if i can pass my right of abode status in HK to my child. i have done a quick google but can't find anything.

For those wishing to obtain British citizenship for their child, you can pass your citizenship onto your child if you obtained your citizenship by a way other than by descent, so i can pass it onto my children, but they cannot pass it onto their children, unless they are born in the U.K.

• 3 weeks later...

I recomment the 1 year extensions. Who cares what questions they ask

Yeah I agree with you on this 100%. Why be so picky and have to go through all this just because of some annoying or silly question. Your Thai wife is a Thai , for sure she can deal with this without you having to fear a mental breakdown from her as she has to go through this. Come on..!

What you do is talk to your wife on beforehand and beef her up a bit, and if you get questions about for example having sex. You tell her to answer with a big smile on her face, yes every day! And I never have good sex like this before. Farang is big equipped, I like.. its good feeling for me!

I guess you ll pass that part of the questioning quite fast.

You gotta stand up for yourself and fire back. Its like you accept to loose and you will go to KL to sort it out or even considering going to UK. You ll never gonna win over them or get them to change. Once you re out the door you re gone. They re not gonna miss you.

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with this method is that you are in Thailand when the visa is issued, that is not allowed.

You could post from another country to a friend and then they apply, and then post to you. it would entail a stay of a week or more, and cost a fair bit in delivery charges.

It does seem there is a bit of drama over a few questions. The OP needs to do what he thinks best for him and family but two eleven hour flights to England for a visa sounds more of a hassel than a few questions from a perve official.

Good luck to you. Let us know how it works out.