Thailand Live Friday 27 Aug 2010

webfact

Govt admits difficulty in pleasing both US and Russia in Bout case

BANGKOK (NNT) – Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs Suthep Thaugsuban has admitted to difficulty in making both the US and Russia satisfied on the issue of arms dealer Viktor Bout, but is positive that both nations understand the Thai legal procedure.

Despite the seemingly escalating war of words regarding detained Russian weapon smuggler case Viktor Bout, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban assured the matter would be dealt with in compliance with the legal process. He commented that Thailand did not intend to be involved in the case but will not shrug away its responsibility.

Mr Suthep stated that it was expected that the United States and Russia would have different opinions on the case. However, he stressed that they must respect Thailand’s approach.

The Russian criminal is currently being detained at Bangkwang Central Prison putting the Thai government under pressure posed by both powerful nations in a bid to speed up the extradition process according to their opposing demands.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-27 footer_n.gif

Phayao Dep Mayor Charged for Bribery

Police have arrested the deputy mayor of Phayao Municipality for taking bribes in exchange for the appointment of a civil servant.

Deputy Secretary-General of the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission, Amphon Wongsiri, led officers from the Phayao police station in the arrest of Phayao Deputy Mayor Cherdsak Suktua, who was accused of receiving bribes from an individual in exchange for his appointment as a municipal worker.

Officers set up a trap following reports that the deputy mayor would meet the individual to receive the rest of money due to be paid to him.

Police also seized 80,000 baht in cash and charged the senior official with bribery and abuse of authority.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-08-27

footer_n.gif

BMA Takes in Negative Feedback on BRT

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration plans to study public opinion on the BRT, a new rapid bus system, following a recent survey that indicated negative feedback.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Theerachon Manomaiwiboon said that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will analyze the opinion of Bangkokians over the BRT or Bus Rapid Transit system, after recent survey revealed that most Bangkokians do not like the new bus system.

Theerachon said all of the planned construction may be called off if most of those polled voice opposition to the plan.

Many people claim the BRT takes up too many traffic lanes and causes serious congestion.

He added that some BRT routes even overlap the construction of the elevated rapid transit lines, such as the Pink Line, which brings passengers from Meenburi to Pakkret.

The Cabinet earlier ordered that no BRT construction overlap other rapid transit systems.

As for the current BRT line, tickets cost 10 baht for a single trip and will increase to 12-20 baht from January 1, 2011 onward.

Statistics show the BRT serves 20,000 passengers each day.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

BKK-Aranyaprathet train's brake fails, causing train to speed into a hit the platform at Hualumpong station; no injuries reported /via @TAN_Network

CRES: King Power bombing linked to BKK local elections; Suthep orders restructuring of state-owned CCTVs in capital /via @TAN_Network

Parliament runs Big Cleaning Day to prevent flu spread

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The government is preparing for a major cleaning of the Parliament building after an MP was found sick from seasonal influenza.

The Influenza A Prevention Subcommittee, chaired by Secretary General to the House of Representatives Phithoon Phumhiran, has coordinated with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to run a big cleaning day at Parliament on 27 August to ensure sanitation before next week's House meeting.

A Pheu Thai Party MP, Ms Aroonluck Kitlertphairoj, was found infected with a flu virus mutated from the Influenza A H1N1 strain. She fell ill after leaving a House meeting on 20 August.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-27 footer_n.gif

Bangkok security overhauled in the wake of grenade attack

The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation on Friday issued a series of instructions on improved security after reviewing the police report on the Soi Rang Nam explosion caused by the firing of M-79 grenade.

"The M-79 grenade launcher was used in the attack on Thursday's night and the police were trying to pinpoint from where the projectile was fired," CRES spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-27

Train driver injured at Hua Lampong accident

A train driver was injured after his Aranyaprathet-Bangkok train swerved onto a platform at the Hua Lamphong Train Station Friday afternoon.

The accident happened at 1:45 pm at Platform No 10.

The accident terrified passengers and people who were waiting for friends and relatives. They ran for their life when seeing the incoming train.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-27

About report of visit by Sirichoke. No tape nor recording is in possession of my wife. I don't know of any tape. /via @bangkokpundit

I met sirichoke in admin office of corrections official on april 15. He introduced himself as MP and aide to PM. He showed me article /via @bangkokpundit

About foreign media article talking about arms smuggling and Thaksin. He asked me whether Thaksin had brought those weapons for reds. /via @bangkokpundit

Bout also said he didn't know any Russian state secret or any Russian leader's secrets. (via NationChannel24) /via @tulasathit

I said I did not want to fantasize/speculate. He asked for advice on how to capture Thaksin's plane. I said it was US jet so u should (cont) /via @bangkokpundit

Ask them. He also asked me how many KGB ppl in bkk& what they do. I told him I don't know as KGB ceased 20 years ago & I know nothing of KGB /via @bangkokpundit

Raises questions stating that court decision was decide on May 24, but took 3 months before it was released /via @tulasathit

Viktor Bout's wife: husband not involved in arms trafficking;slams US for making up evidence against him;no knowledge about Russian secrets /via @TAN_Network

It seems to me Bout had his wife meet the press today because he was worried about her and their daughter's safety following tape claims. /via @tulasathit

Now we are in Q&A and first question is "how long have you and bout been married?" /via @bangkokpundit

To show example of how the US is pressuring and threatening thailand, see the letter from 6 US congressman and Senators (holds up letter) /via @bangkokpundit

Bout said Sirichoke asked him how many KGBs were in Bkk and what they were doing, to which Bout replied he had no idea. (NationChannel24) /via @tulsathit

The Sirichoke-Bout took place on April 15, 5 days after Rajdamnoen bloodshed. /via @tulsathit

Thomas Fuller of NYT asking Q asking if Bout's position is that he never transported weapons. A: he did not say that. he transported cargo /via @bangkokpundit

And this could include weapons or UN aid but not illegal weapons. /via @bangkokpundit

On his treatment in prison,he is being kept in solitary to apparently protect him from russians or that is what ThaiPBS states /via @bangkokpundit

Says not confident of US justice system and worried it could be a secret trial as they say evidence is top secret. /via @bangkokpundit

Press conference is over. /via @bangkokpundit

Bomb Hoax Spooks Si Sa Ket Mall

A bomb squad has been called to a department store in Si Sa Ket's Kantaralak district after a dubious explosive-like package was found there.

Police from Kantaralak police station rushed to inspect a bomb-like object left at an entrance of Kantaralak Plaza in the northeastern province of Si Sa Ket.

According to preliminary police findings, the object is believed to be a component of a car's air conditioner that was tied with electrical wires and wrapped around with tape.

The police closed off the area and called in a bomb squad from the 22nd Border Patrol Police Unit in Ubon Ratchathani to inspect and defuse it.

Investigators believe the incident was not politically motivated as there had been no political confrontation in the area. They said the attack could have been motivated by a business conflict.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif