Tiger Cub Found Hidden Among Toys In Suvarnabhumi Airport Luggage

webfact

Tiger cub found hidden among toys in Thai airport luggage

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A two-month-old tiger cub was discovered hidden with a stuffed tiger toys in the baggage of a woman heading to Iran from Thailand, wildlife protection officials said Friday.

The 31-year-old Thai woman, who has not been named, was arrested on Sunday night after the tiger was spotted by X-ray staff in overweight luggage destined for the cargo hold.

An official from the Wild Fauna and Flora Protection Division said the cub was drugged and placed in the bag with the toys -- apparently to make it appear as if it were a stuffed animal.

"He was very calm, half asleep and half awake when we rescued him," he said.

The cub was found at Thailand's Suvarnabhumi Airport and has since been sent to a rescue centre.

It is not yet known whether the animal was wild or had been bred in captivity.

The woman, who admitted carrying the tiger, according to officials, faces four years in prison, a 40,000-baht (1,280-dollar) fine or both for possessing and smuggling an endangered animal.

Manop Lauprasert, of the ASEAN Wildlife Enforcement Network applauded the successful operation.

"We are all very happy to have saved this tiger cub from entering the illegal trade," he said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-08-27

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

four years in prison OR a 40,000-baht (1,280-dollar) fine. Something ridiculously stupid with the Thai fine rates.

The cub would have died in the -40C in the cargo hold, if not of asphyxiation. She deserve the 4 years IMO.

I agree. The fine is a joke.

Edited by Taro
  • Like 1

four years in prison OR a 40,000-baht (1,280-dollar) fine. Something ridiculously stupid with the Thai fine rates.

The cub would have died in the -40C in the cargo hold, if not of asphyxiation. She deserve the 4 years IMO.

Or adjust the exchange rates to the dollar so that 40,000 represents the "value" of 4 years prison.  

How many animals died today just to supply you with food?

• Like 1

Or adjust the exchange rates to the dollar so that 40,000 represents the "value" of 4 years prison.  

Well I doubt any of them were on the endangered species list.

and they weren't put into a bag that would be in a cargo hold at well below zero degrees.

Yes, but it is actually not the woman fault that the tiger is on such a list.

What makes the life of the unborn chicken i had for breakfast less worthy than that of a tiger who wouldn't think twice to have another animal from the endangered species list for his own breakfast? nor would a tiger think twice about if any cruelty is involved when he hunts down his food.

As the natural habitat of the tiger is mostly destroyed by humans, we humans would put him lifelong in a jail anyway.

What makes the life of the unborn chicken i had for breakfast less worthy than that of a tiger who wouldn't think twice to have another animal from the endangered species list for his own breakfast? nor would a tiger think twice about if any cruelty is involved when he hunts down his food.

As the natural habitat of the tiger is mostly destroyed by humans, we humans would put him lifelong in a jail anyway.

I think you are lying about the egg for breakfast, looking at your post i can't see you eating a poor unborn little chicken.

:D

• Like 2

Contrary to popular belief, baggage compartments are pressurised and heated. Otherwise your luggage would arrive frozen and destroyed. Not to defend the acts of this woman of course. Not like it was a common domestic cat, but an endangered species. 40,000 dollars would be more appropriate as a deterrent for anyone considering to follow suit. She was probably being offered about same from someone in Iran.

Edited by Captain_Bob
  • Like 1

You sound like a vey STUPID person!

• Like 1

I'm not sure it's an either or both scenario with the punishment: "according to officials, faces four years in prison, a 40,000-baht (1,280-dollar) fine or both for possessing and smuggling an endangered animal." Reads to me that she gets up to 4 years and there could be a monetary fine added to that. Nowhere does it say one or the other or maybe both. As far as eating unborn chickens. Sadly biology is not a strong point here. Chickens "menstruate" and pass an egg about every few days, they are not fertile unless there is a cock around to fertilize it. Other females pass an egg somewhere around every 28 days, and they are also not fertile as well. Just an egg. It takes two to tango. :ermm:

• Like 1

"How many animals died today just to supply you with food?"

Since you asked, you must be interested. No offense intended.

So far today,

6 prawns

3 chickens according to you, 1 was living, 2 unfertilized eggs.

a pig

a cow

not sure what will die for dinner, maybe a duck, I love bet dang..

Also many plants died as well, I presume plants have feelings to and you talk to them as well .......

For the record, I appose eating pet puppies.

EDIT: 6 prawns under digestion.:rolleyes:

I presume this lady is a maul, this really is not much of a deterant.

Edited by Gobbledoc
  • Like 1

just sending permanently this imbecile of a woman to yuk- Iran -yuk should be enough of a punishment.

Hope they use every possibility to make her cough up where the cub comes from ; and dig deep into her life, she could be in human trafficking as well.

she beats the Brit dustbin cat lady yousurely saw on you tube.

• Like 1

I think you are lying about the egg for breakfast, looking at your post i can't see you eating a poor unborn little chicken.

:D

You are wrong. I am not an animal rights activist nor a vegetarian. I will have pig muscle in slices next and steal the mother milk from little cows and make roast beef out of them.  I am the last one to moralize this issue and just had a few thoughts what it makes difficult to judge here. 

I welcome that there is a law against smuggling an endangered animal. It is good that there are such restrictions.  But in the end it is still a little bit odd and an ethical question.

Droped out of school pretty early didnt you ?

Eggs you eat for breakfast are not unborn chicken... No need to explain all the biology behind that, just make a research on google.

Edit: Didnt see Danielle post she answered already

Edited by BigPanda

No, she should also be put in a suitcase and shipped off to Iran under the same conditions she was sending the cub......

correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jap:

Off topic but what the heck.

Most of the animals that we eat are only on this planet to feed us. If we did not eat them, they would not be here!

I look forward to helping them to fulfill their destiny. (Mind you 0 the lettuce on the other hand......)

OMG! Its like we are sharing the same brain! I was thinking this EXACTLY!

LOL - yes, all those animals who ride in there, almost every single plane ride (dogs, cats, etc) die from that every day. :blink: The hold is pressurized, just like the rest of the plane.

]

Eggs you eat for breakfast are not unborn chicken... No need to explain all the biology behind that, just make a research on google.

Take things to literally do we? Dropped out of school to early?  

Fact is we, humans, enslave and kill animals for our needs or jail them lifelong since generation to produce unfertilized eggs.  Isn't that cruel too?

The question is where is the difference? Makes it us humans to a better animal if we judge it is okay to kill this animal but morally wrong to kill that animal? An amoral tiger in its natural habitat wouldn't think twice about such an issue if there is the choice between a common chicken or an endangered rabbit for breakfast.

It depends on the contents of the Cargo in the Bulk holds.If its live stock,Temp mantained is between 18-24degC.If its perishables below 10degC.Each individual hold can have its temperature regulated as needed.

Some aircrafts have heated cargo holds which airlines use for the carriage of animals, unheated holds would be around 10 deg C. But 10° is anyway cold for a tiger...

just sending permanently  this imbecile of a woman to yuk- Iran -yuk should be enough of a punishment.

Hope they use every possibility to make her cough up where the cub  comes from ; and dig deep into her life, she could be in human trafficking as well.

she beats the  Brit  dustbin cat lady yousurely saw on you tube.

yuk- Iran -yuk ???  

You just beat her when it come to imbecility. Nothing is worse than look down at other countries or at people of a certain origin.

Some of the smartest people in world history come from Persia.

]

Take things to literally do we? Dropped out of school to early?

Fact is we, humans, enslave and kill animals for our needs or jail them lifelong since generation to produce unfertilized eggs. Isn't that cruel too?

The question is where is the difference? Makes it us humans to a better animal if we judge it is okay to kill this animal but morally wrong to kill that animal? An amoral tiger in its natural habitat wouldn't think twice about such an issue if there is the choice between a common chicken or an endangered rabbit for breakfast.

The load of rubbish and pseudo-intellectual philo garbage you spouted in the last two pages are already very often spouted by people who 1) do not love animals and 2) also happens to have no brains. For people with either 1) love for animals but no brains, or 2) with brains but no love for animals, they have no problems recognizing the crap.

There are a lot of disgusting low-class third world barbaric China freaks who continually fuel the demand for endangered species to smuggled into China as food and unproven traditional medicines.

The China freaks and the few western supporters of these China freaks' same old arguments against people who lash them at them (usually westerners), are invariably "are you a vegetarian yourself?" "why do you care or talk about conserving these almost extinct rhinos, tigers or leatherback turtles when you merrily eat chicken or pig?" "don't you westerners eat cow also?" stupid retarded things like this..in different version..the list goes on. Some of the more shameless among these retards even try to cloak their idiocy in a veil of pseudo existentialism arguments about suffering and what is the value of one life over another.

While hundreds of animal groups all over the west are desperately trying to save endangered animals, the China freaks and savages catch from the wild and murder endangered juvenile 2-3 year old hawksbill turtles in restaurants and wet markets.

The fact is that not all animal lovers claim to be vegetarians. Neither do we claim to be Amish who don't use computers or electricity or claim we draw water from wells and don't drive cars or use any animal-by product in the house eg honey.

All we ask of fellow human beings is to understand the concept of preservation.

There is a reason certain animals are continually eaten and farmed on a large scale for the purpose of food and not others.

No one is taking away your "rights" to enjoy animals of any kind in your typical 3rd world disgusting savage ways, in so far as you ensure the continual survival of the species for the future generations to enjoy and see.

I wonder if you could even understand the concept above. Because you are a retard who could not finish school.

Edited by iloveturtles