Iphone Sync Question

Lost in LOS

So I thought I understood syncing contacts with window contacts. A friend of mine got a new phone number. I put it in my 3gs legal unlocked, phone and deleted the old one. I went to window contacts and deleted the entire name with the old number so syncing wouldn't put two of the same names in without me knowing which number was new. I did the sync, and was under the impression this would put my new phone contacts in the existing window contacts folder. I also thought that if they were different the itunes would ask which one I want or do I want to delete one, etc. When I did the sync it took the new phone number off my phone and didnt put it in contacts, instead of keeping it on my phone and putting a copy in contacts.

Am I doing something wrong? I checked set up and it doesn't reflect this nor does the help button. Now I have to try and find my friend and get the number again, I cannot call like I said I would.

any help appreciated

Syncing does this for you, normally.

If you change the contact only on one side (e.g. only on the iPhone), then sync, there is no conflict. The contact will just be updated on the computer (because the one on the phone is newer).

If you change the contact on both sides you have a conflict. But if you change the contact's name, I don't now what would happen... best to just sync any changes, rather than trying to do it manual...

Syncing does this for you, normally.

If you change the contact only on one side (e.g. only on the iPhone), then sync, there is no conflict. The contact will just be updated on the computer (because the one on the phone is newer).

If you change the contact on both sides you have a conflict. But if you change the contact's name, I don't now what would happen... best to just sync any changes, rather than trying to do it manual...

I dont see where I can do that. I want to update my computer to reflect the new stuff on my ipone. I would only need it the other way if I lost my iphone. where can i tell it to update the saved contacts and not change the phone contacts. I have clicked every button, searched help, searched the apple website and cant find it

I add phone numbers to my phone constantly and want the new stuff synced into contacts

I just found this:

Click Apply in the lower-right corner of the screen. Your computer syncs with your device according to your settings.

The first time you sync your device, you are asked if you want to merge data, replace data on the device, or replace the data on your computer. When you choose to merge information, any differences between the data will be mingled together. If you choose to replace information, information from either the computer or device will overwrite the information on the other. These options can not be undone. After that, anytime you connect your device to your computer, iTunes opens and syncs with your device according to the settings in iTunes.

I hope that is not true, maybe i clicked wrong to start with, how can it be that you cant change it? ever

Edited by Lost in LOS

one option I used, was to copy my Windows live contacts to Gmail, then sync them with gmail/itunes everything I update.

not perfect but whenever I make a new contact in Gmail or on the Iphone the sync each way

You only needed to change it in your iphone and all changes would be reflected in windows, it would have altered the old contact and not have added a second contact..... you shouldn't change it in 2 places ever, it can cause a problem. But what you did was actually delete it from windows right? So it then deleted it from the iphone to sync properly (you deleted it therefore it thinks you want it deleted!). You will have to re add the number to your iphone OR windows and then sync again. If you cant get the number from your friend again then its lost.

Ok after rereading your 2 posts I feel I should be more clear.

You CAN change a contact or add a contact on either iphone or windows and then it will sync to the other device. The second you change the same contact on both devices prior to syncing you have caused a conflict and will have to answer a question when syncing.

If you DELETE a contact, Im positive this takes priority automatically over altering a contact. So it would automatically delete the number from the other device without asking like in your case.

So from now on, feel free to alter contacts to your hearts content on ONE device. Either windows or iphone and then sync the changes, no problem. Dont try to help the sync process by deleting a contact you changed on another device... this will just erase it from both devices. The sync process works just fine on its own and doesnt need you to take any further steps (such as deleting the old contact from windows).

One thing you might want to consider if you love being updated automatically all the time is a mobileme account. This is what I use, when I update a contact or calendar event etc on my iphone, it syncs that change over the air with my online account and then automatically with all my pc's and ipad anywhere. So when I check my other device without ever having connected to itunes for a sync Im already synced. But mobile me is $100 a year. It also gives you 20 gigs of online storage and stuff so check it out if you are curious.

Ok after rereading your 2 posts I feel I should be more clear.

You CAN change a contact or add a contact on either iphone or windows and then it will sync to the other device. The second you change the same contact on both devices prior to syncing you have caused a conflict and will have to answer a question when syncing.

If you DELETE a contact, Im positive this takes priority automatically over altering a contact. So it would automatically delete the number from the other device without asking like in your case.

So from now on, feel free to alter contacts to your hearts content on ONE device. Either windows or iphone and then sync the changes, no problem. Dont try to help the sync process by deleting a contact you changed on another device... this will just erase it from both devices. The sync process works just fine on its own and doesnt need you to take any further steps (such as deleting the old contact from windows).

One thing you might want to consider if you love being updated automatically all the time is a mobileme account. This is what I use, when I update a contact or calendar event etc on my iphone, it syncs that change over the air with my online account and then automatically with all my pc's and ipad anywhere. So when I check my other device without ever having connected to itunes for a sync Im already synced. But mobile me is $100 a year. It also gives you 20 gigs of online storage and stuff so check it out if you are curious.

Thanks for that, I will try a couple of tests to see whats up.. I already got the number I needed.