Nicole John, Daughter Of Us Ambassador To Thailand, Plunges To Death From High-Rise Party

TAWP

I have to think that growing up in BKK or at least the doing high school at ISB would definitely impact underage drinking as well as prescription drug abuse. So sad and tragic, and actually surprising common story when you look closely at the international school scene here in BKK

Jeez.

Growing up in a suburb with plenty apartment blocks (concrete jungle), it was the norm to start drinking/smoking at the age of 14 (first year at jr. high).

Didnt know it was like BKK.

It seems that all the diplomats I've known in Bangkok, seems to have alcoholism or problems with drugs in their families. Very sad situation. I refused to put my children to the 2 big international schools in Bnagkok for this very reason.

Condolences to the family.

So sad and tragic...

I last saw Nicole in June when she stopped by the house (she roomed with my daughter on the Koh Samui senior trip)... such a sweet and polite young lady.... and such a tremendous loss.... Ironically, my daughter had wanted to go to NY to hang out with that group, but her university classes started two weeks ago... But from what i've heard second-hand, the partying was not as extreme as the press is portraying it.

Bangkok expat kids have the same challenges, stresses and temptations as kids in the US, but the main difference being that partying and clubbing is more openly allowed by the clubs/bars and their bouncers and the BIB.... usually the first place most kids visit is Khaosan Rd to get a fake ID. But I've seen as many, if not more, problems at private homes than in the clubs. Successful parenting *anywhere* requires honest open communication, fair boundaries and expectations, mutual respect, and interested parental involvement.

Sincerest condolences to the John family

RIP, dear Nicole...

It seems that all the diplomats I've known in Bangkok, seems to have alcoholism or problems with drugs in their families. Very sad situation. I refused to put my children to the 2 big international schools in Bnagkok for this very reason.

Condolences to the family.

IME as well. Have seen it here with children of diplomats, captains of industry, etc. etc., have seen it stateside in the most affluent neighborhood/school districts.

That said, it happens in all families, but for some reason it's more 'tragic' when it happens to kids who appear to already have everything.

:)

• 5 months later...

a sad mix of booze, drugs, 4am parties, and inexperience culminating in tragedy in someone so young with a promising future. Even sadder that it's been preceded by so many others and no doubt with many successors:

John, an incoming freshman at Parsons The New School for Design whose blog portrayed a tormented party girl keen on vodka and Xanax, died at the scene.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/27/2010-08-27_nicole_john_daughter_of_us_ambassador_to_thailand_plunges_to_death_from_highrise.html

From same link:

Ilan Nassimi, who hosted the late-night party in his one-bedroom Herald Square Towers apartment, was hit with two charges of handing out booze to someone underage. The 25-year-old real estate broker was released without bail and faces up to a year behind bars.

Responsible to some degree, but at the same time Nichole was a university student and considered an adult at that point, but, yet again, at the end of the day she was still, at 17, under-aged.

Update:

Ilan Nassimi, 25, cleared of serving booze to minors at party where Nicole John, 17, had fatal fall

New York — Prosecutors dropped charges Tuesday against a real estate broker accused of serving booze to minors at a party where a U.S. ambassador's teen daughter plunged to her death.

Ilan Nassimi, 25, faced two misdemeanor counts but they were tossed after investigators couldn't prove he gave alcohol to teens at his Herald Square apartment in August.

Nicole John, 17, tumbled out of a window at the party - falling 22 stories to her death. "The people cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt [he] actually served alcohol in his apartment," Assistant District Attorney Molly Brottmiller told a Manhattan judge. John, an incoming freshman at Parsons The New School for Design, died after stepping onto a window ledge of Nassimi's 25th-floor apartment on W. 34th St.

Continues:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-02-08/local/28550650_1_ilan-nassimi-nicole-john-fatal-fall

New York Daily News - Feb. 16, 2011