Press Freedom Deteriorating In Thailand: Seapa Chief

webfact

Press freedom deteriorating in Thailand: Seapa chief

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Press freedom in Thailand, especially for broadcast media such as community radio stations and Web boards, has "palpably deteriorated" over the past six years, lamented Roby Alampay, outgoing executive director of the Southeast Asean Press Alliance (Seapa).

"The Internet over the past six years has played a crucial role in allowing people to debate and air their views," Alampay said, adding that things had become "more personal" when users began facing censorship, state monitoring and the threat of prosecution over content in their e-mails or social networking sites.

"Print media fortunately remain very vibrant and free," he added.

Alampay, who has completed his term at Bangkok-based Seapa and leaves Bangkok for Manila today, told The Nation that Thais have to be mindful about the growing legal constraints that curb freedom of press and expression.

Six years ago, Thaksin Shinawatra was "no friend of the media", but was "put in check" by the courts, Alampay said. Now, after political and military upheaval, there is Abhisit Vejjajiva.

"You have a prime minister who benefited from political and military upheavals, and he says all the right things about press freedom, but in the background, there's a lot of trouble," he said.

For example, he said, the current Computer Crime Act was "dangerous" because the authorities were exploiting its harsh penalties and weaknesses. Then there's the spate of arrests under the lese majeste law.

"I'm not just blaming Abhisit, because other people have also been exploiting the law and making it more confusing," he said.

When Abhisit first came to power, he told society "not to worry about the law", but Alampay said things have turned out to be "quite disappointing and unfortunately got worse" under the current administration.

However, Alampay stopped short of telling Thailand what to do. "It's not my place," he said.

On a positive note, he said the public TPBS television station was a model for the rest of the region to learn that free media still had strong roots in Thailand.

On the regional level, Alampay said Asean had adopted a human-rights charter and set up an inter-governmental human-rights commission, which at least on paper endorses free expression. Indonesia has become a beacon of hope with a very free press and successful transition, while Burma is still at the very bottom.

Alampay said he was worried about Singapore and its negative influence on press freedom.

The island state, he said, relied on "co-opting as well as intimidating" tactics to stifle press freedom, "especially when it comes to local coverage".

"There is practically no independence in Singapore media. The culture of self-censorship is most pervasive there," he said, adding that the republic and China were being "touted" as alternative models for freedom of expression in Asean - a trend he described as "disturbing".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-28

From experience - press in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand are all controlled. But I still think Thailand has more Freedom than the two former. I would think Cambodia would also be heavily scrutinised as well as VN. Asia in general is simply controlled but I believe Thailand has far more freedom now that under Thaksin when he shut television stations etc. Overall I think the article is much to do about nothing. Not much has or will change.

From experience - .... But I still think Thailand has more Freedom than the two former. I would think ... but I believe Thailand has far more freedom now that under Thaksin when he shut television stations etc. Overall I think the article is much to do about nothing. Not much has or will change.

I assume then that you are not a Thai or Foreign Correspondent officially registered with the Press Division of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs and in possession of a Press Card issued by the Ministry of Public Communications?

If you are, then I assume your eyes are not as widely open as you perceive, nor that your peripheral vision is as acute as it was in your youth?

Perhaps it is simply that you have not recognised certain things, nor has your computer the correct operating system to log certain code-events, at various moments when you are online?

From my position, I can answer the above three questions by saying, I am, mine is, and mine does, and that from my perspective, the extracts quoted from your post are incorrect.

The relative heady days of press freedom in the mid 90s are well over it has been down down down since the turn of the millenium and it wont reach the previous peaks in a long time.

As always I would add the caveat that the independence and freedom of press the world over is also a myth perpetuated by ruling elites although in Thailand it is worse than in some places

Um, I hope this doesn't get me kicked off Thaivisa forum.

Freedom of speech grinds to a disturbing halt when the simple act of criticizing employment superiors is often seen as rude, and in some circles is dangerous, it may just cost you your job.

Monkey see monkey do, the current freedom of speech rules, laws are a reflection of the society that makes the laws. People see and follow while not wanting to seem rude by asking the simple question of WHY do we have these laws regarding freedom of speech for the press. When the cats away the mice will play!!!!!

Thats my free speech for the day done.

I hope that I have not offended anyone, my aforementioned comments are there to open up personal lines of thought, not to spark a revolution. Please feel free to edit as seen fit.

From experience - press in Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand are all controlled. But I still think Thailand has more Freedom than the two former. I would think Cambodia would also be heavily scrutinised as well as VN. Asia in general is simply controlled but I believe Thailand has far more freedom now that under Thaksin when he shut television stations etc. Overall I think the article is much to do about nothing. Not much has or will change.

From experience - press in North Korea, Cuba and Thailand are all controlled. But I still think Thailand has more Freedom than the two former. I would think Burma would also be heavily scrutinised as well as Loas. .................................. but I believe Thailand has far more freedom now that under Thaksin when he shut television stations etc. Overall I think the article is much to do about nothing. Not much has or will change.

This govt has shut down TV stations, internet sites blocked youtube wikileaks etc .. who gives a flying <deleted> what Thaksins govt done, he is not in power this govt has to take 100% responsibility for its actions, though as in the west no one is accountable, its just easier to blame Thaksin or some other previous govt.

Just because Thaksin wasnt very nice doesnt mean you can try turning it on its head that this govt are anything other then freedom fearing rich communists who wish to control the media that people can access that suits their agenda, no need to bring Thaksin into it.

This govt would love to be as Totalitarian as China, fortunately the people wont stand for it, the people i am refering to are the ones you and this govt wish to call terrorists.

From experience - press in North Korea, Cuba and Thailand are all controlled. But I still think Thailand has more Freedom than the two former. I would think Burma would also be heavily scrutinised as well as Loas. .................................. but I believe Thailand has far more freedom now that under Thaksin when he shut television stations etc. Overall I think the article is much to do about nothing. Not much has or will change.

This govt has shut down TV stations, internet sites blocked youtube wikileaks etc .. who gives a flying <deleted> what Thaksins govt done, he is not in power this govt has to take 100% responsibility for its actions, though as in the west no one is accountable, its just easier to blame Thaksin or some other previous govt.

Just because Thaksin wasnt very nice doesnt mean you can try turning it on its head that this govt are anything other then freedom fearing rich communists who wish to control the media that people can access that suits their agenda, no need to bring Thaksin into it.

This govt would love to be as Totalitarian as China, fortunately the people wont stand for it, the people i am refering to are the ones you and this govt wish to call terroris

Communists? Ah yeah, like Obama. Communists everywhere. We're surrounded. Listening to fUx News, at least.

Singapore,Malaysia are paradises of freedom compared to Thailand.

The repression and brutality here is not matched by any other country, with the exception of the Pol Pot regime in Cambodia.

Dozens of thousands of innocents , including women and children are perodically massacred in Thailand, in 1992 thousands of students have been smashed into pieces , children as young as 2 have been jailed ,tortured and killed, their young mothers have been raped ,killed, and raped again while dead.

Not even in China or Myanmar ever happened something like that.

When you are outside Thailand-where 400 000 websites are blocked and every book, document or paper regarding its past is forbidden including magazines articles , you can investigate and get informed .

Just have a raid here in the Northeast, there are villages where almost everybody is malnourished, people are kicked out from the hospitals because they are pennyless, virtually nobody has a pair or shoes, or a bed, many not even a mattress.

These people are considered subhumans by the class elite

How can you compare Singapore or Malaysia to this ?

None is democratic of course, but this kind of brutality and SLAVERY of the population is something gruesome.

Maybe for the expats Thailand is more democratic, for Thais forget it.

The only period in history Thailand has had a SEMBLANCE of democracy was in the late 90s and early 2000s when the 1997 Constitution was -not fully respected- but at least taken into account and it was taking into account the right of the ordinary citizens, and not only the ones with a dark uniform.

Singapore,Malaysia are paradises of freedom compared to Thailand.

The repression and brutality here is not matched by any other country, with the exception of the Pol Pot regime in Cambodia.

Sorry to interrupt, but it would seem the organization that is the source of the OP would contradict your opinion quite a lot, if one peruses their alerts:

Journalists' group condemns killing of Indonesian reporter

TV reporter slain while covering clash between Indonesian villagers

Indonesian journalists hold protest rally over legislator's harassment of reporters

Fourth Burmese journal suspended in six weeks

Two accused in 2004 killing of Filipino journalist acquitted

or their news:

Media, opposition party under fire from Cambodia’s strongman

Race and religion influence Malaysia's media policies

Indonesian journalists prepare for more legislative battles

Ampatuan Massacre a portent of more unpleasant things to come?

The year 2009 gave the Philippines the dubious record of having the most number of journalists killed in a single incident. Thirty media practitioners were killed on November 23 in the Southern Philippines province of Maguindanao, with one missing and presumed dead. -more

Please resume now with your various other exaggerations and miscellaneous unfounded points.

Edited by Buchholz