Work Permit Is There A Minimun Wage Boss Must Pay Me

As said the minimum wages only applies if you're applying for extension of stay.

Normally they do want to see minimum 30.000 baht if you're not a teacher.

ATTACHMENT TO ROYAL THAI POLICE HEADQUARTERS ORDER NO. 777/2551 dated November 25, 2008 Income Table Referred to Clause 2.1 (2)

1. European countries (except Russia), Australia continent, Canada, Japan, and U.S.A.

Baht 50,000/month

2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong

Baht 45,000/month

3. Asian countries (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam), South America continent, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South Africa

Baht 35,000/month

4. African countries (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam

Baht 25,000/month

It depends of your nationality

It only depends on nationality for the extension of stay based on employment

There are no stated minimums to get a WP as such

I am Canadian on Ed visa have 6 months left on visa so it is not for extension of stay. I could be teaching him English, Managing his hotel (if the is an allowed job) or running his landscape business. What you do think would be best to ask for the work permit for the above three. As of now I think the monthly income at about 15,000 bhat. he is deciding now what to offer me.

You could survive on 15k/month or is this a work-position and WP for another reason? I mean, you will not get extension on that level of salary, and unless they are a BOI you will not get a easy extension thanks to the job that way either...

(Note to explain: I previously held a position with a BOI company and the required salary level wasn't even mentioned for them to accept the extension of stay for us foreign workers - mine was not enough to reach the 'western European level' as in the guide lines. It is more a concern with normal companies or people managing their own companies it seems. To make sure the companies are legit and make sure taxes are paid, I presume.)

You could survive on 15k/month or is this a work-position and WP for another reason? I mean, you will not get extension on that level of salary, and unless they are a BOI you will not get a easy extension thanks to the job that way either...

(Note to explain: I previously held a position with a BOI company and the required salary level wasn't even mentioned for them to accept the extension of stay for us foreign workers - mine was not enough to reach the 'western European level' as in the guide lines. It is more a concern with normal companies or people managing their own companies it seems. To make sure the companies are legit and make sure taxes are paid, I presume.)

Two legit companies Resort and Landscape business owner is famous for the large gardens and parks you see 3 in Korat including the one at the fossil museum, many 2 Contracts to build gardens from 200,000 bhat to 2 million bhat contracts. He likes me we have become friends he he having trouble with dishonesty with his hotel staff. Would also like me to teach him English. He is well respected and connected. I should have mentioned accomodation and meals would be included, that is why the wage may be less than 20,000 bhat per month.

Two legit companies Resort and Landscape business owner is famous for the large gardens and parks you see 3 in Korat including the one at the fossil museum, many Contracts to build gardens from 2 million bhat to 20 million bhat contracts. He likes me we have become friends he he having trouble with dishonesty with his hotel staff. Would also like me to teach him English. He is well respected and connected. I should have mentioned accomodation and meals would be included, that is why the wage may be less than 20,000 bhat per month. Builds huge gardens for Government, Schools etc. He pays taxes and all is honest. I have been giving him business advice for free and he now feels that I would be an asset to his organization.

While I cant answer the original topic of your post I know the topic; getting a work permit while holding a Type-ED, has come up before on the forum.

I also know of someone who posts on here, lives in Chiang Mai, works at CMU, and holds work permit with a Type-ED visa. I think this may be the only exception Ive heard of and is certainly NOT the norm. :(

From what I understand, IF you're studying for a degree at a 'real thai uni', (not a private thai language school); you can get a work permit to do an 'internship' as it relates to your field of study, and in fact the uni helps assist students with this.

I have never heard of a foreigner holding a Type-ED visa who has secured a work permit here in Bangkok from the Ministry of Labor. Again, that's not the same as saying it ain't possible, only that anything other than anecdotal evidence is awfully thin on the ground. ;)

Also please be advised of the trades foreigners are prohibited from working in. Here's the T/V web link to the prohibited trades;

http://www.thaivisa.com/330.0.html

Now 'working in', is NOT the same as consulting in that field, so many foreigners here actually 'work' in a prohibited trade yet their work permit lists consultant, or some other nomenclature. FWIW; the one option you mentioned; Hotel Management is NOT prohibited. :)

Heck, I just saw the trade dynamiting rock is prohibited. Thank god I didnt go out and buy the dynamite FIRST. :o ..

Edited by tod-daniels

While I can't answer the original topic of your post I know the topic; getting a work permit while holding a Type-ED, has come up before on the forum.

I also know of someone who posts on here, lives in Chiang Mai, works at CMU, and holds work permit with a Type-ED visa. I think this may be the only exception I've heard of and is certainly NOT the norm. :(

From what I understand, IF you're studying for a degree at a 'real thai uni', (not a private thai language school); you can get a work permit to do an 'internship' as it relates to your field of study, and in fact the helps assist students with this.

I have never heard of a foreigner holding a Type-ED visa who has secured a work permit here in Bangkok from the Ministry of Labor. Again, that's not the same as saying it ain't possible, only that anything other than anecdotal evidence is awfully thin on the ground. ;)

Also please be advised of the trades foreigners are prohibited from working in. Here's the T/V web link to the prohibited trades;

http://www.thaivisa.com/330.0.html

Now 'working in', is NOT the same as consulting in that field, so many foreigners here actually 'work' in a prohibited trade yet their work permit lists consultant, or some other nomenclature. FWIW; the one option you mentioned; Hotel Management is NOT prohibited. :)

Heck, I just saw the trade 'dynamiting rock' is prohibited. Thank god I didn't go out and buy the dynamite FIRST. :o ..

Thanks Todd. How would one change the visa from Ed visa if necessary? What type of Visas to most foreign workers have in Thailand?

Most foreigners I know working here have Non-Immigrant Type-B visas or yearly extensions of stays tied to their original Type-B visa. Some only have 6 months extensions of stay as it was based on the term of their employment contracts which weren't a full year.

If company company will get the application turned in for the work permit, you take that form showing you’ve applied for a work permit, along with the other required pertinent documentation from the company to a thai consulate or embassy and you’d mostly likely get at least a single entry 90 day Non-B. You can find the required documentation by searching this sub forum as it's been talked about a LOT.

Other's have a Non-Immigrant Type-O. I even think you can get a work permit holding a Non-O yearly extension of stay based on marriage, but am not sure.

As long as you don't have an extension of stay based on retirement, Immigrations usually stamps in your passport (or at least they stamped in mine) "employment prohibited" because I'm supposed to be retarded <sic> :o , err I mean retired, or a Type-ED I think either an O or B will work fine.. ..

I don't know if you could do the 'in-country' conversion from an ED into a Non-B or Non-O based on employment or not.

Other more knowledgeable posters will hafta weigh in on it.

Most foreigners I know working here have Non-Immigrant Type-B visas or yearly extensions of stays tied to their original Type-B visa. Some only have 6 months extensions of stay as it was based on the term of their employment contracts which weren't a full year.

If company company will get the application turned in for the work permit, you take that form showing you've applied for a work permit, along with the other required pertinent documentation from the company to a thai consulate or embassy and you'd mostly likely get at least a single entry 90 day Non-B. You can find the required documentation by searching this sub forum as it's been talked about a LOT.

Other's have a Non-Immigrant Type-O. I even think you can get a work permit holding a Non-O yearly extension of stay based on marriage, but am not sure.

As long as you don't have an extension of stay based on retirement, Immigrations usually stamps in your passport (or at least they stamped in mine) "employment prohibited" because I'm supposed to be retarded <sic> :o , err I mean retired, or a Type-ED I think either an O or B will work fine.. ..

I don't know if you could do the 'in-country' conversion from an ED into a Non-B or Non-O based on employment or not.

Other more knowledgeable posters will hafta weigh in on it.

Know you have me thinking in the short term before going out and getting the B Or O visa, If I was being taught hotel management as I will be initially by the owner, before I got the WP I would be ok under my Ed Visa.? not being paid money but given free accomodation until the work permit and proper visa was obtained?

ill

He likes me we have become friends ... So your 'friend' may soon become your employer ... OK ..

Visited lawyer today to assist in the work permit application, $6,500 bhat fee. Checked on the Governments website for what the employer must supply. Will have to take the WP application to Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to get new B visa.

Hey ... Give it a shot ... Why not? ... But as the OP himself elsewhere wrote: I think I am doing the right thing, but it is never to late to change the road that I am on.

The prospective boss paid me half of the lawyers fee and told his secretary/accountant to start to prepare the paper work for the lawyer. He will ask for a 2 year work permit.

I will consult again tomorrow with the lawyer he says it will take about 3 weeks and then I will pick up the application myself at the Labor office, when it is ready.

I have been giving him business advice for free and he now feels that I would be an asset to his organization. You will find out just how good a friend and asset you are when he starts paying for business advice with which he disagrees.