Thai Tourism Regaining Normalcy

webfact

Thai tourism regaining normalcy

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The overall situation in the tourism sector has improved as travelers start returning to Thailand while the Thai Hotels Association (THA) is positive normalcy will be regained by year end if free from political unrest.

THA President Prakij Chinamornpong said the room reservation rate nationwide had recovered greatly after it had been affected by the political turmoil during April-May. In the first 8 months of this year, Phuket has had 60-70% of its accommodations booked, which is the highest percentage in the country and relatively normal compared to the pre-riot period. The hotels in Bangkok are also picking up, now having 40-50% of their capacity reserved.

Mr Prakij said visitors from China, Korea and Japan had started returning to Thailand. The recent bomb attacks in the capital may shake their confidence but not as much as the past turmoil.

The tourism and services sector is recovering quickly because Thailand is still among the top travel destination alternatives. New ventures also help boost the industry, forcing businesses to undertake adaptations in order to keep up with the dynamic demands.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-08-28 footer_n.gif

The word normalcy is an acceptable synonym for normality in American speech.

And my mate Norman is coming to visit next month.

That'll swell the numbers.

Edited by mahtin

The word normalcy is an acceptable synonym for normality in American speech.

And my mate Norman is coming to visit next month.

That'll swell the numbers.

I have just watched SBS television news here in Melbourne, it was a piece on the training camps the redshirts are organising in the NE of Thailand...what degree of normalcy does this represent...interested on anyones spin...

Samui guests in the moment are at least 70 % package tourists who assume they got the hotel for nothing compared to the price of a regular ticket. Individual tourists are almost not to be seen. And if they keep a close watch on their purses. 35 Baht for a Coke?? Better buy at 7/11... it's really no fun after 9 years in this business. The next one who might turn up and wants to pay 400 Baht for a bungalow with AC, fridge (already emptied...), safe and hot water I will ask how long he needed to reach Samui via hitchhiking. Would be very glad if the next months might turn only 50 % to normal.

The report says that normalcy is returning to tourist numbers not to the country, as some of you seem to be suggesting. I have noticed more tourists recently, so I have no reason to believe the report is incorrect.

Samui guests in the moment are at least 70 % package tourists who assume they got the hotel for nothing compared to the price of a regular ticket. Individual tourists are almost not to be seen. And if they keep a close watch on their purses. 35 Baht for a Coke?? Better buy at 7/11... it's really no fun after 9 years in this business. The next one who might turn up and wants to pay 400 Baht for a bungalow with AC, fridge (already emptied...), safe and hot water I will ask how long he needed to reach Samui via hitchhiking. Would be very glad if the next months might turn only 50 % to normal.

if western currencies dropped 20% it is no wonder businesses must feel that , wait until the so much expected "high season" is coming , let see how HIGH it go to be..??

This is pure propaganda ! of the worst kind.<br>Yes. the 5 star hotels have an occupancy rate at 50-60 % because 1/2 of the hotel is closed "for renovation" - the staff is fired. What a way to keep up the statistics !<br>Ao Nang is floaded with Asian  tourist, mostly Koreans, Japanese and Chinese. They buy their food and drinks in 7/11 and are not of any benefit to the locals.<br>Their package tours are paid in their home countries so only a little amount flow over to Thailand.<br>Take a look around and see for yourself anywhere in the kingdom its the same.<br>

The report says that normalcy is returning to tourist numbers not to the country, as some of you seem to be suggesting. I have noticed more tourists recently, so I have no reason to believe the report is incorrect.

I'm sorry, but increasing from what? From the number during BKK riots? There aren't many tourists despite what the TAT and others say. I rode around town last night and many places were closed and the rest had few if any customers on a Friday night...

Reports from Pattaya, better than Bangkok but its not jumping and Chiang Mai, they can only dream.

I wonder what the stats would look like if all sex tourists were eliminated from the count?

Then it wouldn't be normal! How did we say we define "normalcy". We are in Thailand we don't define anything that should be measurable. Hence why we are having such an enjoyable yet repititive subject. Do we not have something like this every other day?

if western currencies dropped 20% it is no wonder businesses must feel that , wait until the so much expected "high season" is coming , let see how HIGH it go to be..??

The currencies dropped, yes but 7 years ago the Euro brought 44 Baht - compared to this it dropped only by 10 % ....

im new........ but does it always turn into a usa vs. brit vs. aussie vs.muslim vs. jew vs. pattaya vs thai corruption vs new comer vs. established expat vs.how good things are vs international media misrepresentation vs blah blah blah....... thing on every thread.

before answering read a few threads

just a thought guys

and by the way any replies that say if you dont like it............. would be more than a little amusing.

• Like 1

im new........ but does it always turn into a usa vs. brit vs. aussie vs.muslim vs. jew vs. pattaya vs thai corruption vs new comer vs. established expat vs.how good things are vs international media misrepresentation vs blah blah blah....... thing on every thread.

just a thought guys

and by the way any replies that say if you dont like it............. would be more than a little amusing.

You left out a few interesting combinations, take that from a genuine Dutch uncle ;)

just a thought guys

We are only guests in Thailand......lmfao.

im new........ but does it always turn into a usa vs. brit vs. aussie vs.muslim vs. jew vs. pattaya vs thai corruption vs new comer vs. established expat vs.how good things are vs  international media misrepresentation vs blah blah blah....... thing on every thread.

just a thought guys

Hubs  Hubs  Hubs  You forgot hubs - of everything in the known world.

Normalcy in Thailand ??? Nothing is ever normal in Thailand Thats why i like it here. I dont believe the original post because it makes no sense.

The article was by The National News Bureau of Thailand - Propaganda always hyping up what is not reality to try to make Thailand look better in International eyes. I guess I would do the same if it were me but intelligent people read into it for what it is. A bunch of el torro poo poo! ohmy.gif

'asiawatcher' timestamp='1283047104' post='3846724']

'jalansanitwong' timestamp='1282971304' post='3844993']

Normalcy in Thailand ??? Nothing is ever normal in Thailand Thats why i like it here. I dont believe the original post because it makes no sense.

The article was by The National News Bureau of Thailand - Propaganda always hyping up what is not reality to try to make Thailand look better in International eyes. I guess I would do the same if it were me but intelligent people read into it for what it is. A bunch of el torro poo poo! ohmy.gif

Wow , what a fantastic suggestion to pass on to the Thai intelligencia , "Thailand , the hub of el torro poo-poo " this would at least be close to the truth , as apposed to all of the 'Extracted from fairy land' hype normally offered .

Give that man a brownie point for effort and originality .