Local Mazda Dealer Wants To Cancel My Warranty

Ski_Goong

Weird stuff..received a call from my local Mazda dealer informing me that since I did not have my oil changed by an authorized Mazda center, my engine warranty will not be honored if I have problems. I though this was funny after reading the "Ford Canceled My Warranty" thread. I Had a Toyota before this and changed oil myself regularly and my GF has a Honda and I change the oil in her car and not once has Toyota or Honda told me my warranty would be voided if I didn't use their service. Maybe this is a Mazda/Ford game/policy.

Changing the oil yourself is not worth the hassle here, it is so cheap to do. Why do you service your cars yourself? If you are not taking new cars to a dealer for the scheduled service how do you expect them to know if the oil has been changed at all? fair enough to Mazda I say. If you want to save a few baht on servicing why didn't you just buy a second hand car?

I have a mazda BT0

I had 4 years full warranty.

It is clearly written in the mazda maintenance book that you have to have regular service with an official mazda dealer in order to keep the warranty.

seems logic to me: you go to a cheap garage for oil change.

he does something wrong and you decide to go back to mazda and claim your warranty///??? come on....

Not only that but I would not buy your car without it being regulary serviced by Mazda. It only costs 1500 baht to go for an oil change, I don't understand why one would do it at home!

Because I enjoy working on my car. Well...I hope Mazda put a decent engine in my Mazda3 so I will never need an engine repair. I've own several cars and I've always did normal maintenance myself or with family. Luckily I've never had a bad engine so here's hoping the trend continues.

P.S to person that stated their warranty specifically stated they must have regular service done by an authorized center, please scan and send it to me if possible. I can't find anything in my that says that. It only suggest/recommends-no formal requirements.

Seems the "why" someone prefers doing their own maintenance is besides the point. Some people don't look at it as a chore, some even enjoyment.

In the states.. or at least 10 years ago in the states.. they'd only talk about voiding your warranty if there was an issue they could trace to not doing the maintenance. Oil analysis was listed as their means to tell if the oil had been changed regularly.

Really.. if you think about it.. Even if you just 'top up' but never change your oil, there should be no mechanical issues during the short warranty period. Most dealers are putting synthetic or semi-synthetic oil scheduled to last 10,000km's.. the warranty is 50,000km or 3? I really doubt not changing oil will result in mechanical breakdowns during that time.. its more the long term damage I'd be worried about. Of course if you over heat the oil then it breaks down and loses its properties.. but you can just as easily overheat oil in the first 500km as the last 50,000km's..

With that said I let Toyota service my vehicle every 5000km.. If I had a garage and my tools here.. I might do much of it myself just because I enjoy simple mundane tasks when I have the time.

All's well that ends well.Just got back from meting with the Mazda manager. He admitted that his staff made a mistake. I received 6 coupons for free oil change (which I probably won't use). How did I do it?

I took the warranty booklet and we sat down and read it together. It clearly states

1: You must....blah blah blah

2: You must ...Blah blah blah

3: YOU SHOULD get your car serviced by the dealer/authorize service center.

4: You must...blah blah

5: You must.....

As I informed him about the difference between MUST and SHOULD were quite great and that the person or committee that review the warranty statement were probably pretty smart.....therefore the warranty statement is most likely correct. He smiled, offered me 3 free oil change coupons and I countered with 6.....and I got t.

For all you Mazda owners. Look at page 12 of your warranty booklet. You should have the same book if you bought your car recently.

Strange that Toyota didn't say anything about that you void your warranty if you don't do the services at an Toyota authorised workshop, they clearly told me

But then, they shouldn't have to tell you . Nor should Mazda have to. It is common knowledge in Thailand is that you must use authorised workshops or you void your warranty

I agree with Mazda too, of course they have all right to cancel your engine warranty if you haven't serviced the car at an authorised Mazda service centre

• Like 1

If you did the oil change yourself, rather than at the dreaded Somchai Bloggs garage, it may help those others here that like to do the same to know where you found to dispose of your old engine oil legally.

.....and if you were able to explain the technicalities of "must" and "should", hopefully you were honest enough to explain that they can both have consequences - for example "you must get your oil changed at Mazda, etc, or your warranty will be cancelled" and "you should get your oil changed at Mazda, etc, or your warranty may be cancelled".

Edited by JohnLeech
  • Like 1

Strange that Toyota didn't say anything about that you void your warranty if you don't do the services at an Toyota authorised workshop, they clearly told me

But then, they shouldn't have to tell you . Nor should Mazda have to. It is common knowledge in Thailand is that you must use authorised workshops or you void your warranty

I agree with Mazda too, of course they have all right to cancel your engine warranty if you haven't serviced the car at an authorised Mazda service centre

I've owned three new Toyota's in Thailand. Each time I was told the car must be serviced and I must be able to show proof of that service. Not that only Toyota must service it. Just because some guy tells you something.. doesn't mean he's read the manual or understands it any more than you have. The level of competence and knowledge in such jobs isn't what I'd consider high.

And I disagree its common knowledge. I think its more like urban legend. Mazda or any manufacturer only have no 'rights', none more than an average citizen. Your warranty booklet should be regarded the same as a legal contract.. Read it, adhere to it, and understand the differences that could cause disagreement. And forget what the dealer Somchai tells you.. it's not worth anything. Even if he puts it in writing it's not worth anything because employees are not able to legally obligate their employers.

In the states when I did my own service I kept the itemized receipts that showed the date and brand/type of oil/parts used. I also filled in the warranty book myself on the dates I did the service. No issues with this at all. Besides, my dealer said if there was ever a total engine failure because of a suspected lubrication problem.. they're going to have the fluids analyzed. Heck, even when Toyota responsibly bought back my lemon Tundra, they still had the fluids analyzed to make sure I wasn't hiding something. These tests are very telling.. I'd recommend them before purchasing any used car..

• Like 1

Back home my father always drove BMW and ( being in the trade) always did his own servicing. BMW were fine with this but said during the warranty period he had to use genuine BMW parts. Non genuine parts would invalidate the warranty.

Fair enough. It's a bit like owning a restaurant, somebody in the corner eating their own food and then coming back complaining to you when they get food poisoning.

• Like 1

I've owned three new Toyota's in Thailand. Each time I was told the car must be serviced and I must be able to show proof of that service. Not that only Toyota must service it. Just because some guy tells you something.. doesn't mean he's read the manual or understands it any more than you have. The level of competence and knowledge in such jobs isn't what I'd consider high.

And I disagree its common knowledge. I think its more like urban legend. Mazda or any manufacturer only have no 'rights', none more than an average citizen. Your warranty booklet should be regarded the same as a legal contract.. Read it, adhere to it, and understand the differences that could cause disagreement. And forget what the dealer Somchai tells you.. it's not worth anything. Even if he puts it in writing it's not worth anything because employees are not able to legally obligate their employers.

In the states when I did my own service I kept the itemized receipts that showed the date and brand/type of oil/parts used. I also filled in the warranty book myself on the dates I did the service. No issues with this at all. Besides, my dealer said if there was ever a total engine failure because of a suspected lubrication problem.. they're going to have the fluids analyzed. Heck, even when Toyota responsibly bought back my lemon Tundra, they still had the fluids analyzed to make sure I wasn't hiding something. These tests are very telling.. I'd recommend them before purchasing any used car..

Your last paragraph - Please post information relevant to the thread. What does the states and what you did there have to do with Thailand?

You disagree that it is common knowledge, then I will ask: Have you ever asked your neighbours in Thai if they know that you have to service your car at an authorised garage or you loose your warranty?

All Thai citizens who have enough money to find the issue interesting (i.e., potential buyer) will answer: Yes, you do. I was also surprised nearly 20 years ago when I heard it the first time, but I have heard it ever since so it's not a surprise any longer. I did ask both neighbours and at work again before answering in the "Ford cancelled my warranty" thread and surprise, surprise: It is still the same. All answered Yes, you do, in Thai of course

Nothing's changed in 20 years and I don't mind at all about that because I don't expect that things should be the same here as they are in Europe and get upset if they aren't

• Like 1

Not only that but I would not buy your car without it being regulary serviced by Mazda. It only costs 1500 baht to go for an oil change, I don't understand why one would do it at home!

I can understand it, (not the DIY bit), however, ensuring you are getting a much higher quality oil than the standard bulk multigrade crap (which they charge a premium price for) that the dealers use.

Solution! Take your own oil along to the service centre for the oil change. :)

• Like 1

I can understand it, (not the DIY bit), however, ensuring you are getting a much higher quality oil than the standard bulk multigrade crap (which they charge a premium price for) that the dealers use.

Solution! Take your own oil along to the service centre for the oil change. :)

Good suggestion Soundman. I can also confrm that Toyota offered me exactly that, they told me that I can bring my own oil if I wanted - except at the very first oil change when the car was new for which Toyota told me that I had to use their oil.

Very fair, I have no objections

If you did the oil change yourself, rather than at the dreaded Somchai Bloggs garage, it may help those others here that like to do the same to know where you found to dispose of your old engine oil legally.

.....and if you were able to explain the technicalities of "must" and "should", hopefully you were honest enough to explain that they can both have consequences - for example "you must get your oil changed at Mazda, etc, or your warranty will be cancelled" and "you should get your oil changed at Mazda, etc, or your warranty may be cancelled".

To dispose of the oil, simply give it away to any local car repair shop. They will sell it/recycle it.

Regarding warranty statements...very very clear.

1: You MUST use parts which meets or exceeds OEM requirements.

2: You MUST have warranty work done by authorized serviced center.

3: You SHOULD have scheduled maintenance done by an authorized service center.

and of course here are other "MUST" but the manager knew that servicing the car yourself (not repairing)will not void the warranty. That's why he quickly capitulated.

Edited by Ski_Goong
  • Like 1

To dispose of the oil, simply give it away to any local car repair shop. They will sell it/recycle it.

Regarding warranty statements...very very clear.

1: You MUST use parts which meets or exceeds OEM requirements.

2: You MUST have warranty work done by authorized serviced center.

3: You SHOULD have scheduled maintenance done by an authorized service center.

and of course here are other "MUST" but the manager knew that servicing the car yourself (not repairing)will not void the warranty. That's why he quickly capitulated.

doesnt matter what service manager at a dealer says. He is not authorised to honor warranty claims

what matters is if Mazda BKK will honor a warrantyclaim today or in the future.

When they consider, they check your service log in their own computer. If they dont find you, I find it hard to believe they will honor a claim

The dealer has dealt with you in the thai way, by inviting you to service at authorised dealer for free. Enjoy it:D

BTW, why so much focus on oil cange? A service consists of 30-90 items to be checked or replaced, oil and filter being one of them. It is extremely unlikely lack of oil change will damage any engine within initial 100k km.

BTW, why so much focus on oil change? A service consists of 30-90 items to be checked or replaced, oil and filter being one of them. It is extremely unlikely lack of oil change will damage any engine within initial 100k km.

That's because they don't know of the other 28 to 88 other things that the mechanic at the authorised garage / dealer have been trained to check / replace :)

• Like 1

BTW, why so much focus on oil change? A service consists of 30-90 items to be checked or replaced, oil and filter being one of them. It is extremely unlikely lack of oil change will damage any engine within initial 100k km.

That's because they don't know of the other 28 to 88 other things that the mechanic at the authorised garage / dealer have been trained to check / replace :)

yepp

and even if they think they know, lets say by reading the service manual that came with the car 2 years ago, Mazda has updated their authorised servicepartner on 3 more items to check, or sometimes replace for free without stating on invoice. Thats called a quiet recall

One of the most recent recalls are on electric throttles. They are never to be checked according to printed servicemanual, but I bet ALL cars serviced by authorised serviceprtaners have checked them anyway. Just to see if the spring is in position. takes 2 seconds to check

• Like 1

yepp

and even if they think they know, lets say by reading the service manual that came with the car 2 years ago, Mazda has updated their authorised servicepartner on 3 more items to check, or sometimes replace for free without stating on invoice. Thats called a quiet recall

One of the most recent recalls are on electric throttles. They are never to be checked according to printed servicemanual, but I bet ALL cars serviced by authorised serviceprtaners have checked them anyway. Just to see if the spring is in position. takes 2 seconds to check

Shall we ask ski_goong and Warpy about the last 2 things that the dealer has taught their mechanics to check and fix without charging to avoid bad publicity on their car models? :lol:

Edited by MikeyIdea

Your last paragraph - Please post information relevant to the thread. What does the states and what you did there have to do with Thailand?

You disagree that it is common knowledge, then I will ask: Have you ever asked your neighbours in Thai if they know that you have to service your car at an authorised garage or you loose your warranty?

All Thai citizens who have enough money to find the issue interesting (i.e., potential buyer) will answer: Yes, you do. I was also surprised nearly 20 years ago when I heard it the first time, but I have heard it ever since so it's not a surprise any longer. I did ask both neighbours and at work again before answering in the "Ford cancelled my warranty" thread and surprise, surprise: It is still the same. All answered Yes, you do, in Thai of course

Nothing's changed in 20 years and I don't mind at all about that because I don't expect that things should be the same here as they are in Europe and get upset if they aren't

1. Stop being silly. 2 out of 3 paragraphs were directly about Thailand, and the last one about a company who sells cars in Thailand. If that's the best you have to debate with why bother?

2. I said it was an 'urban legend' and then you go and verify that's exactly what it is by referring to your Thai neighbors and not the warranty booklet or Thailand Toyota. Thank you! "Common knowledge" infers it's also true. "Urban legend" is when many think it is.. but in fact it isn't.

3. Wow.. in 20 years you're still listening to your neighbors and haven't read the warranty book yet?

• Like 1

Apparently not :whistling:

Care to elaborate Warpy? Maybe I'm the slow one but I find your post a bit lonely. What do you mean?

All's well that ends well.Just got back from meting with the Mazda manager. He admitted that his staff made a mistake. I received 6 coupons for free oil change (which I probably won't use). How did I do it?

I took the warranty booklet and we sat down and read it together. It clearly states

1: You must....blah blah blah

2: You must ...Blah blah blah

3: YOU SHOULD get your car serviced by the dealer/authorize service center.

4: You must...blah blah

5: You must.....

As I informed him about the difference between MUST and SHOULD were quite great and that the person or committee that review the warranty statement were probably pretty smart.....therefore the warranty statement is most likely correct. He smiled, offered me 3 free oil change coupons and I countered with 6.....and I got t.

For all you Mazda owners. Look at page 12 of your warranty booklet. You should have the same book if you bought your car recently.

There ya go, I highlighted the contradiction for ya....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yeah, like what? A few busings and bearings? Purely sensationalist rubbish, You guys sensationalize it just for the purposes of making it sound SOoooooo complicated just to bolster your argument or more likely because you don't really know?? But it isn't the rocket science you apparently think it is, if it were that would just serve as even more reason not to leave it to a Thai..

Edited by WarpSpeed

1. Stop being silly. 2 out of 3 paragraphs were directly about Thailand, and the last one about a company who sells cars in Thailand. If that's the best you have to debate with why bother?

2. I said it was an 'urban legend' and then you go and verify that's exactly what it is by referring to your Thai neighbors and not the warranty booklet or Thailand Toyota. Thank you! "Common knowledge" infers it's also true. "Urban legend" is when many think it is.. but in fact it isn't.

3. Wow.. in 20 years you're still listening to your neighbors and haven't read the warranty book yet?

Careful!!!!! You're using to much logic and making too much sense these guys heads are going to explode...........................or is it implode? :lol:

I understand more then your little mind will ever conceive...

Warpy, do you understand that public recalls aren't that attractive from a business perspective and that Thai companies therefore are prone to take to diligently fixing any safety concern when cars come to service instead. Like the rear brake problem on early Fortuners.

Do you understand that you don't know if your car that you drive around your children in may not have something done to it that should have been done because you do not follow your dealers rule, you possibly arrogantly risk your childrens safety by deciding to follow your American dealers rule even though you are in Thailand now and bough the car from, surprise surprise, not an American dealer. Even if it is 99.999% chance that your car is perfectly safe, I find your thinking somewhat selfish, toward your children of course

I am glad that you understand more then my little mind will ever conceive now Warpy...