Power Surge On The Hub Port

mario299

Hi Guys

I bought one of the new AIS 3G 7.2Mbps aircards and cannot use it on my laptop, an older Dell Latitude D600. When I insert it into the USB port I get an error window "power surge on the hub port...the USB composite device has exceeded the limits of its hub port". It instructs me to disconnect and reset the port. The aircard works fine on my PC (very very slow, but works), so what do I need to know about the "hub ports" on my laptop?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

mario299

1283153830[/url]' post='3849483']

One solution would be a powered USB hub, it is a device to connect multiple devices to one usb port and also has a power supply and does not use the computers power.

Hi garyh, that sounds like maybe the answer but where does it get its power...is it plugged into outlet as well as into USB port? I now use a "multi-plug" USB, which makes one USB become four, but no outside power source. ??

Thanks

mario299

One solution would be a powered USB hub, it is a device to connect multiple devices to one usb port and also has a power supply and does not use the computers power.

Hi garyh, that sounds like maybe the answer but where does it get its power...is it plugged into outlet as well as into USB port? I now use a "multi-plug" USB, which makes one USB become four, but no outside power source. ??

Thanks

mario299

Yes it has a power pack, do you need the hub you have now? that may be the cause of your trouble.

1283161948[/url]' post='3849773']

Try using the aircard directly in the laptop usb port. Some devices do not work in these muti-port hubs

Hi, both of you, and thanks. No, I don't need the multi-port, my laptop has 2 USB ports, and yes, I plug directly into USB on computer with the same power surge results. I know my question about power pack was a little obvious, but I wanted to be sure so I can explain to my wife before we head to the "big city" (Surin) to see if we can find it. We are in the sticks here without any landlines, so our choices are satellite for very poor connection at 2000 baht/month or more, or aircard at 150 baht/50 hours. We had previous AIS aircard that worked with no problems on laptop, so just trying to get it figured out. Thanks again for all your help.

mario299