Garlic

gennisis

Is it just me,or is the Garlic here not as strong as European Garlic.

Back in Europe to chew a whole garlic clove would sting your mouth....but not so here.

I've tried big cloves and the little cloves....white and purple but just cant get what I call a strong Galic taste.

Also the Mushrooms,

China has become the garlic capital of the world with close to 80% of the world's production.  But Chinese garlic is noted for its large size, easy peeling, and mild flavor.  Most of the garlic you see in the markets here in Thailand is Chinese, and most street vendors use it as well.  Thai garlic has much smaller cloves, the the skin is much harder to remove.  It is far more "garlicky," though.

As far as mushrooms, the shitakes hold some robust flavor, but the rest which are available here are more mild in taste.  For most Americans, used to the white mushroom, the types available here are probably tasty enough.  But for Europeans and Latin Americans (and particularly Russians),  where far more robust and savory mushrooms are available, I can understand why the mushrooms available here in Thailand might seem lacking in flavor. 

buy the really small ones if you want strong - but a pain to get the skin off.

I use the 'smash and peel' technique with the flat edge of a chopping knife, usually works a treat...<deleted>? yer gonna mince/chop the cloves anyway?

I do the same mate but still a pain_a bit like ironing ;)