Embassy Pension Letter

FarangBuddha

Going to get an embassy pension verification certification today and did the calculation for what I need to state as my pension (sorry guys, am American, so it's a "stated income" pension 55555) and see that B 800,000 per year now comes out to around B 66000 per month (@ B 30 - US$ 1) so that's now around $ 2200.00. That's quite a change from around $ 1700-1800 range a few years ago.

I wonder how many guys (non-Americans) have been knocked back home by this...I wonder if the Thais will ever lower the pension threshold for a retirement visa extension to keep some of their quality long-term family members around.

I think I am going to appy for OA at home. While the baht continues to appreciate and it's killing me, US26k can be invested. Money sitting in these banks earn nothing plus you have inflation. Then you have tax.

Pure folly really. You can buy a house in states clear (or maybe better now, rent?) and live in that house easily for that sum of money. Spend your winters here. For me, its a matter of time, Im sizing up the Pac NW and BC Canada as will as Mid Atlantic and select Florida,

In Thailand you cannot own land and under many terms of visas cannot even own a car - so what exactly are you spending that huge wad of cash on? Then you have the mystery that f married - you need half that amount to support no less than double (2) the people.

Its not about what makes sense, or right its about how high farang jump.

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 2

This old-timer is hoping that the in-laws enjoy the house. Too bad the mother-in-law and father-in-law are not around to live there. I certainly will not be living there anytime soon. It was built with cheap living in mind and that is certainly not the case any longer. I can live just as cheaply in the house I own in GA in the USA and not have the barking dogs, blaring loud-speakers at 0500 and noisy roosters that cannot tell time. If I want Isaan food, I go up the road to the Lao-Isaan community and eat, drink and speak all things Isaan. I can even get Singha beer at a good price. So, at 30-baht to the dollar, I will stay where I am and live out my days without the need to fight immigration and jump through their <deleted>' hoops. I will do my visit every year or so and be happy with that. Chok dee, Thailand.........Oh, here I am not worried about wearing the wrong color shirt either.

• Like 1

"I wonder how many guys (non-Americans) have been knocked back home by this...I wonder if the Thais will ever lower the pension threshold for a retirement visa extension to keep some of their quality long-term family members around."

I suspect that the Thais will fail to regard anybody who is unable to come up with the stipulated cash as 'quality', so they will probably be happy to see them depart. I also doubt very much that they will ever reduce the amount required for retirement here, rather the opposite. There has already been plenty of talk (unsubstantiated) about the 800K Baht being increased to 1 million Baht. Regardless of the reality, the Thais see us as infinitely wealthy.

There was a story told a while back. A farang on a minibus tour got out of the bus at a national park and stretched to ease his stiff joints. He looked at the prices to enter the park and noted that a farang must pay ten times what a Thai had to pay. A Thai man had just pulled up in the car park in his new Mercedes, and was walking over to the booth to pay. The farang went over to him and politely asked him why a farang had to pay ten times what a Thai did? The Thai man smiled at him and said, "Krup, that is because you farangs are all so rich."

Thais see us as infinitely wealthy.

Sad to say that the Thais have embraced too many 'western' standards, greed being taken to heart as No 1.

I've been in Thailand 20 years and never have I seen society so split. In lots of respects it's cheaper back home.

And yes, I love this country!

Thais see us as infinitely wealthy.

Sad to say that the Thais have embraced too many 'western' standards, greed being taken to heart as No 1.

I've been in Thailand 20 years and never have I seen society so split. In lots of respects it's cheaper back home.

And yes, I love this country!

In lots of respects it's cheaper back home.

Uh I don't know about that. Still can't build a 176 meter house in the states for $48,000 Including labor. Comparing McDonalds to Mcdonalds maybe. Florida is hella expensive to live in right now especially if you got a mortgage to pay & no job to pay it. Land is a better bargain in Maui Hawaii but you still can't build anywhere near as cheap . $10.00 per day labor compared to ball park $50.00 an hour $400.00 per day & that does not the include the contractors fee either.

I just had an MRI done at BNH Hospital (actually they ambulanced me to another hospital with a special type of MRI machine) for B13,600 (including ambulance charge).

Let's see, thats about US$450 at today's exchange rate.

How much would that MRI cost in the USA?

How much would the ambulance charge alone be? (Possibly more than the US$450 by itself!)

I just had an MRI done at BNH Hospital (actually they ambulanced me to another hospital with a special type of MRI machine) for B13,600 (including ambulance charge).

Let's see, thats about US$450 at today's exchange rate.

How much would that MRI cost in the USA?

How much would the ambulance charge alone be? (Possibly more than the US$450 by itself!)

I think just to turn the MRI machine on would cost at least $450...let alone do anything with it :lol: Ambulance transport in the states can easily cost $1000 or more :ermm:

Also, reminder to all, the notary letter fee is now around B1600 or US$ 50...up from $30 or so in the past.

so that's now around $ 2200.00.

I wonder if the Thais will ever lower the pension threshold for a retirement visa extension to keep some of their quality long-term family members around.

Be serious. ;)

A guy who don't even has a 65,000 baht monthly revenue certainly is NOT a "quality" one as seen by Thai people or Thai immigration...

Thailand want people who will spend money in the country. A logical choice.

PS: Don't reproach to the Thailand the fact that US$ is now weak. They didn't change the threshold for years. Japanese guys by example find today threshold for retirement 15% less than 2 years ago :)

First of all, you only need 65,000 Baht a month income, not 66,000 Baht a month. Yes if you choose the 800,000 Baht option, or the combined income and money in the Bank option, yes it will cost you more money. Expect the Baht versus the Dollar to go to around 30 Baht to the dollar. Don't get excited, it's been there before.

Barry

There are MANY other visa options that don't require funds like this.

Please enlight us; Which ones ?

Sure.

You can extend any visa, including a Visa Exemption, for 60 days based on visiting your wife or child. All you need is your marriage cert, her ID, and an official letter with her address.

Leave and re-enter without a visa, get your 15 days VE, extend for 60 days with your marriage cert at immigration. The result being a border run and trip to immigration every 75 days, or 90 days if you fly in and out.

No funds or anything else needed.

Edited by thomo

This old-timer is hoping that the in-laws enjoy the house. Too bad the mother-in-law and father-in-law are not around to live there. I certainly will not be living there anytime soon. It was built with cheap living in mind and that is certainly not the case any longer. I can live just as cheaply in the house I own in GA in the USA and not have the barking dogs, blaring loud-speakers at 0500 and noisy roosters that cannot tell time. If I want Isaan food, I go up the road to the Lao-Isaan community and eat, drink and speak all things Isaan. I can even get Singha beer at a good price. So, at 30-baht to the dollar, I will stay where I am and live out my days without the need to fight immigration and jump through their <deleted>' hoops. I will do my visit every year or so and be happy with that. Chok dee, Thailand.........Oh, here I am not worried about wearing the wrong color shirt either.

I agree. I love Thailand - the food, the people, the wonderful cheap massages, but I don't want to live there. I live in a nice place here in the US. If I was out of money, maybe Thailand would be the place, but until I run out of money I will stay here and visit Thailand every year (or maybe twice)

1- You can extend any visa, ...

2- Leave and re-enter without a visa, get ...

No funds or anything else needed.

Sorry but you omitted a "small" detail : You need a Thai wife... :whistling:

The OP was about retirement visa.

Yes, didn't you read the OP?

I wonder if the Thais will ever lower the pension threshold for a retirement visa extension to keep some of their quality long-term family members around.

Presumably 'family members' include a wife or child. :rolleyes:

Reading not a strong point huh.

Edited by thomo

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone watching has a scanned copy of the US Pension letter form?

The form can be saved in it's original format by using the ACS website and scroll down to Income Affidavit. Click on this and the form should open in pdf format. Just save a copy of this form to you're PC.

Pension Letter

Thanks longball,

After I make my appointment with the Embassy, what is the least expensive/easiest way to make the trip to the embassy and back?

Regards,

Joseph

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone watching has a scanned copy of the US Pension letter form?

The form can be saved in it's original format by using the ACS website and scroll down to Income Affidavit. Click on this and the form should open in pdf format. Just save a copy of this form to you're PC.

Pension Letter

Thanks longball,

After I make my appointment with the Embassy, what is the least expensive/easiest way to make the trip to the embassy and back?

Regards,

Joseph

Hi Guys,

Pension Letter

WALK

Thanks longball,

Regards,

Joseph

Hi Guys,

Pension Letter

WALK

OK, big yucks................. I really could use the exercise, but I don't think my reeboks would hold up!

Thanks longball,

Regards,

Joseph

Hi Guys,

Pension Letter

If you don't have a car or don't want to drive then I would suggest the Bell bus from Pattaya bus station to the airport, jump on the new rail link to Phaya Thai Station switch over to the BTS and go to the station closest to the Embassy and hoof it from there to Embassy.

Bus to airport is about 200 baht and 2 hours. Trains to BKK not sure but maybe45 minutes total? and cost I don't know. But all this beats driving into the city. Another option would be bus to airport and taxi to the Embassy.

Bus to airport is about 200 baht and 2 hours. Trains to BKK not sure but maybe45 minutes total? and cost I don't know. But all this beats driving into the city. Another option would be bus to airport and taxi to the Embassy.

What are you talking about!

Just go to the bus station on North Pattaya Road and catch the Pattaya-Ekamai bus [leaves about every 20 minutes from early morning to about 9 pm) and either get off at the On Nut Lotus stop and catch a cab to the embassy (cost = B 113 bus fare and about B 60-80 taxi) or take it to the Ekamai bus station (end of the line) and get the cab there.

At On Nut, one could also get on the Skytrain and get off at Phoenchit station but then you either still have to take a cab down Wireless to the embassy or walk (10-15 minutes). To get back, just do the reverse.

Uh I don't know about that. Still can't build a 176 meter house in the states for $48,000 Including labor. Comparing McDonalds to Mcdonalds maybe. Florida is hella expensive to live in right now especially if you got a mortgage to pay & no job to pay it. Land is a better bargain in Maui Hawaii but you still can't build anywhere near as cheap . $10.00 per day labor compared to ball park $50.00 an hour $400.00 per day & that does not the include the contractors fee either.

Sorry but I know many very nice house for $100k in the USA that you can rent +$1000 / month.

In Thailand if you buy a house the same price, how much are you going to rent it? $500 / month? Return on investment is sh.it here.

Also in the USA you own the ground, in Thailand you only own the walls...good luck if you want to invest in Thailand.

What are you talking about!

Just go to the bus station on North Pattaya Road and catch the Pattaya-Ekamai bus [leaves about every 20 minutes from early morning to about 9 pm) and either get off at the On Nut Lotus stop and catch a cab to the embassy (cost = B 113 bus fare and about B 60-80 taxi) or take it to the Ekamai bus station (end of the line) and get the cab there.

At On Nut, one could also get on the Skytrain and get off at Phoenchit station but then you either still have to take a cab down Wireless to the embassy or walk (10-15 minutes). To get back, just do the reverse.

This is another option and better than my suggestion. I was waiting for someone to post this way and you did not fail me.

I have lived here for three years now. I go to the States every 6 months for two week vacation. I have an "O" visa based on retirement. Not "O" "A" . I use USA Social Security income and that satisfy requirement. No doctor, no Thai bank account, no letters from embassy, no proof of residence in Thailand and most importantly no Thai wife. It costs me $175 a year for multiple entry. I go to the Thai "Consulate" in Portland, OR. and I am in and out in 15 minutes once a year (sometimes 15 months depending). If you don't stay in country all year, no need for retirement visa.

It costs me $175 a year for multiple entry

+ costs and lost of time of several visaruns... <_<

BTW this embassy pension letter "problem" is very specific to USA.

For most other countries the consulate send this letter by mail

after a simple request by email, and often free of charge :)

so that's now around $ 2200.00.

Be serious. ;)

A guy who don't even has a 65,000 baht monthly revenue certainly is NOT a "quality" one as seen by Thai people or Thai immigration...

Thailand want people who will spend money in the country. A logical choice.

PS: Don't reproach to the Thailand the fact that US$ is now weak. They didn't change the threshold for years. Japanese guys by example find today threshold for retirement 15% less than 2 years ago :)

I think they should put it up as this would a good way of culling the dirty old cheap charlies