Watch Out For Greedy Brits!

Adiccavamso

Out of every Benefit comes the checkbill.

i.e. My wifes UK Visa = £870.

Benefit to her = Free NHS care.

More than a fair deal to my way of thinking and nothing to do with "Greedy Brits" as the Stupid Topic Title suggests! where does the OP think the money comes from? for her health care, Thailand?

If you were in Britain, and had a British wife who did not work, she would get Free NHS care too. Why? BECAUSE SHE IS YOUR WIFE!. Surely, it does not matter where your wife hails from. And anyway it is not FREE! What about all the NI contributions you made over the years? The Income tax? VAT at more than double the Thai rate and about to increase again shortly.

What about all the NI contributions I made? I am in Thailand. If I return to the UK for medical treatment I have to pay! My pension is frozen! No cold weather allowance for me! No Christmas Bonus! No Child tax Credits! But they still take 20% tax off me from my private pension! Part of my contribution is helping to pay for your wife's FREE NHS treatment, and all the enormous benefits handed out to the millions of immigrants who pour into the UK.

I could go on -but I won't

Yes of course I agree with your point,that it was mainly my NI contributions,Tax and VAT, that has given my Thai wife "Free health care" something (I) her husband would not get in Thailand,30 baht cards are not given out to "Farang Husbands" as far as Im aware of?

But my point was: The system in the UK is not a bottomless pit,and money needs to be taken in finances in order to pay them out,to the needy,balancing the books is what it is all about i.e no system of looking after Citizens can be all about paying out,while not taking something in,from some source or another form.

Whilst I again agree with you,that it is grossly unfair that you do not get Pension increases because you are not resident in the UK (See my Posts on Topics concerning this very subject)

However I can't agree with you that you are losing out on the £250 winter fuel allowance,lets face it,you are in no need of extra heating in Thailand,the legislation does not cover extremes of heat either (Heatwaves),which has been known in the UK,and is also not available to British Citizens Resident in the UK either.

Also, Thailands Taxation system can't be compared with the UK,Thailand pays very little to their Citizens in Benefits,and consequently can keep their Taxation system low! and in the case of low earners,Tax on earnings is non existent.

If you return to the UK for Medical Treatment while you are considered permanently resident in Thailand then there is a question mark,as to whether you will need to pay for treatment.Again another Topic thoroughly debated in the past year,which I believe from my experience,and others you would not be disappointed with the treatment received by your own Country,but that would depend on your intentions whether to reside there permanently again,or merely fly in for that nagging Hernia,Hip replacement or whatever,and flit back home to Thailand? and leaving the other NI contributers to share the checkbill.

Child/working Tax Credits, (you are not working in the UK,and if your child does not live there) Tax Credits only get paid to permanent UK residents,the rights and wrongs of that one,are similar to not getting Pension Increases,but in my view different in as much as residency is the main eligibility factor,not the same as the Pension increases,because you have paid nothing into the system for this particular unearned Benefit.

And as to the Christmas bonus,a miserable £10,is hardly worth getting upset over,and will just about buy a small frozen Turkey,some Bonus eh? Im sure some poor old OAPs are really looking forward to a whale of a time on their own with the Christmas Festivities looming.

Your Private Pension,of which you pay 20% Tax on,presumably because it is generated in the UK by your Pension Provider,and thus incurs UK taxes,but you do offset this with, the normal Personal Annual Tax Allowance,exactly the same as the permanent UK resident,so absolutely no different treatment there either!

One final point:on the one hand you state..........

"If you were in Britain, and had a British wife who did not work, she would get Free NHS care too. Why? BECAUSE SHE IS YOUR WIFE!. Surely, it does not matter where your wife hails from. And anyway it is not FREE! What about all the NI contributions you made over the years? The Income tax? VAT at more than double the Thai rate and about to increase again shortly.And then you go on to state:

"Part of my Contribution is helping to pay for your wifes FREE NHS treatment"

Somewhat contradictory in my view!

If the latter is correct,then by your calculations,should you take your wife back to the UK? then someone else will be paying part of her contributions to your wifes healthcare

The very same Taxation system does and will apply to me,and will continue to do so, in the not too distant future.Including both my Private Pension and National 65 year old Pension,for which I worked,paid Taxes and NI contributions for 40 years.So dont feel I dont sympathise with you.

Normally I agree with your very sensible Posts.

Good luck

MAJIC.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than a fair deal to my way of thinking and nothing to do with "Greedy Brits" as the Stupid Topic Title suggests! where does the OP think the money comes from? for her health care, Thailand?

If you were in Britain, and had a British wife who did not work, she would get Free NHS care too. Why? BECAUSE SHE IS YOUR WIFE!. Surely, it does not matter where your wife hails from. And anyway it is not FREE! What about all the NI contributions you made over the years? The Income tax? VAT at more than double the Thai rate and about to increase again shortly.

What about all the NI contributions I made? I am in Thailand. If I return to the UK for medical treatment I have to pay! My pension is frozen! No cold weather allowance for me! No Christmas Bonus! No Child tax Credits! But they still take 20% tax off me from my private pension! Part of my contribution is helping to pay for your wife's FREE NHS treatment, and all the enormous benefits handed out to the millions of immigrants who pour into the UK.

Yes of course I agree with your point,that it was mainly my NI contributions,Tax and VAT, that has given my Thai wife "Free health care" something (I) her husband would not get in Thailand,30 baht cards are not given out to "Farang Husbands" as far as Im aware of?

But my point was: The system in the UK is not a bottomless pit,and money needs to be taken in finances in order to pay them out,to the needy,balancing the books is what it is all about i.e no system of looking after Citizens can be all about paying out,while not taking something in,from some source or another form.

Whilst I again agree with you,that it is grossly unfair that you do not get Pension increases because you are not resident in the UK (See my Posts on Topics concerning this very subject)

However I can't agree with you that you are losing out on the £250 winter fuel allowance,lets face it,you are in no need of extra heating in Thailand,the legislation does not cover extremes of heat either (Heatwaves),which has been known in the UK,and is also not available to British Citizens Resident in the UK either.

Also, Thailands Taxation system can't be compared with the UK,Thailand pays very little to their Citizens in Benefits,and consequently can keep their Taxation system low! and in the case of low earners,Tax on earnings is non existent.

If you return to the UK for Medical Treatment while you are considered permanently resident in Thailand then there is a question mark,as to whether you will need to pay for treatment.Again another Topic thoroughly debated in the past year,which I believe from my experience,and others you would not be disappointed with the treatment received by your own Country,but that would depend on your intentions whether to reside there permanently again,or merely fly in for that nagging Hernia,Hip replacement or whatever,and flit back home to Thailand? and leaving the other NI contributers to share the checkbill.

Child/working Tax Credits, (you are not working in the UK,and if your child does not live there) Tax Credits only get paid to permanent UK residents,the rights and wrongs of that one,are similar to not getting Pension Increases,but in my view different in as much as residency is the main eligibility factor,not the same as the Pension increases,because you have paid nothing into the system for this particular unearned Benefit.

And as to the Christmas bonus,a miserable £10,is hardly worth getting upset over,and will just about buy a small frozen Turkey,some Bonus eh? Im sure some poor old OAPs are really looking forward to a whale of a time on their own with the Christmas Festivities looming.

Your Private Pension,of which you pay 20% Tax on,presumably because it is generated in the UK by your Pension Provider,and thus incurs UK taxes,but you do offset this with, the normal Personal Annual Tax Allowance,exactly the same as the permanent UK resident,so absolutely no different treatment there either!

"If you were in Britain, and had a British wife who did not work, she would get Free NHS care too. Why? BECAUSE SHE IS YOUR WIFE!. Surely, it does not matter where your wife hails from. And anyway it is not FREE! What about all the NI contributions you made over the years? The Income tax? VAT at more than double the Thai rate and about to increase again shortly.And then you go on to state:

If the latter is correct,then by your calculations,should you take your wife back to the UK? then someone else will be paying part of her contributions to your wifes healthcare

The very same Taxation system does and will apply to me,and will continue to do so, in the not too distant future.Including both my Private Pension and National 65 year old Pension,for which I worked,paid Taxes and NI contributions for 40 years.So dont feel I dont sympathise with you.

Good luck

MAJIC.

Good luck

MAJIC.

My Humblest Apologies for the multiple Posts,

Nothing seemed to be working,so I posted several times.

Sorry

Good luck

MAJIC.

My Humblest Apologies for the multiple Posts,

Nothing seemed to be working,so I posted several times.

Sorry