Girl Friend Or Her Dad

drum

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone owes you 5500 pound and doesnt pay, what you do is go round there and politely ask for your money and get a date when theyll pay it.

Then when this dates comes you go round and collect it, if they dont pay you bounce their head off a wall, no matter who it is.

And then park the girl up for causing you such a headache.

well apart from the old man would probably shoot me the g/f would and is capable of kicking the shit out of me the relatives are high ranking police officers,i think i will give her dad a little more time,

high ranking police officers who need to hustle a farang out of a used automobile?

Someone owes you 5500 pound and doesnt pay, what you do is go round there and politely ask for your money and get a date when theyll pay it.

Then when this dates comes you go round and collect it, if they dont pay you bounce their head off a wall, no matter who it is.

well apart from the old man would probably shoot me the g/f would and is capable of kicking the shit out of me the relatives are high ranking police officers,i think i will give her dad a little more time,

I think you should have mentioned that the father in law was a policeman earlier... the replies would have been much shorter :)

Good luck anyway I know it's big headache to get "scammed" by the in laws, but really you should politely confront the in law. If he doesn't have the money tell him to pay you back 5000-10 000 every month until its completed. He gets a loan without interest and you get your money back after a few years. I did that recently to someone and apparently they agreed but I am still waiting for the first payment so maybe it's not the best advice after all. Worth a try maybe you get luckier.

no my g/f father is not a police man, her relatives are high ranking police,again the time ive spent with him and is family he seems a real nice guy,

I think you should have mentioned that the father in law was a policeman earlier... the replies would have been much shorter :)

Good luck anyway I know it's big headache to get "scammed" by the in laws, but really you should politely confront the in law. If he doesn't have the money tell him to pay you back 5000-10 000 every month until its completed. He gets a loan without interest and you get your money back after a few years. I did that recently to someone and apparently they agreed but I am still waiting for the first payment so maybe it's not the best advice after all. Worth a try maybe you get luckier.

no my g/f father is not a police man, her relatives are high ranking police,again the time ive spent with him and is family he seems a real nice guy,

Sorry you wont like this,

but i wish i was your g/f,

from what we have all read here from you....you are a gold mine, please please for your own sake and you`re own future and well being.....get out now!!!! PLEASE

Probably best not to think or do like me in such circumstances in all honesty.

But if your mrs doesnt sort it out it shows she has no respect for you whatsoever and needs to be sent on her way, if youre going to keep face farang style.

Probably best not to think or do like me in such circumstances in all honesty.

But if your mrs doesnt sort it out it shows she has no respect for you whatsoever and needs to be sent on her way, if youre going to keep face farang style.

i wish i could sort it out,,i dont want to belive the g/f friends made a plan with the old fellow to gain a motor car if this is the case they can be sure of one thing she they wont get another chance to do it,

Sorry I'd missed the update to 270k.

You have been royally turned over. That's a shame.

You are not the first and won't be the last. But if you let it happen again, its all on you.

Did you REALLY sign over the papers for the other car before getting payment?

Giving the keys is one thing, but signing over the papers is pure folly without the folding stuff in your hand. For that your owe yourself a reality check :(

If you sold a 5000 quid car on ebay would you let the punter pick it up with the V5 docs and drive off saying, "the cheque is in the post, honest!" ?? If you would, please advise me of your ebay user name. B)

Edited by Loz

But the 270,000 was never there. That was the discount the vendor of the new motor was willing to offer for trade-in; not an estimate of the real value of the car that the OP gave to his father. Presumably it was worth a good deal less than that, hence why the OP's FIL is unwilling to fork out over the odds for a motor that his daughter said was surplus to requirements. I imagine the vendor of the new motor is creasing himself laughing, having sold the new motor at near list price when he was willing to offer a discount of quarter of a million against the OP's previous Heap.

It's good to talk, and better to listen... I'm surprised the FIL has not been on to explain why he's hired a hitman after being bad-mouthed in a public forum - he does speak English and have internet access, doesn't he?

SC

A used car dealer offering more money for a car than it's really worth?

What planet are you from where that happens?

some very interesting and thoughtful replies,and yes very funny one liners,i want to go down the road of a misunderstanding by all parties,has some post have indicated,i say our car the trade in one i brought 2 years back in g/f name,she paid all running costs and insurance,the trade in value offered and agreed by dealership was bt 270.000 the new car cost 3 times this amount paid for by me and all running costs and insurance paid by g/f and yes brought in her name,if she had asked can we have a new car and give old one to dad i would of said no chance,he can buy is own,

so I'm back to the point,why did he sell is nearly new truck,I'm told to many problems with it,( understandable) I'm sure the g/f would have told him he has to pay something for the old car,maybe how much was not mentioned by her,sure as hel_l was by me,trade in price i thought was fare,,after all the dealership would still have to make some profit, i cant see my self confronting her dad has it would make for an awkward situation all round, lesson learned,but a right nasty pill to swallow,not the money so much,but a broken agreement if there ever was one,

i think i will give her dad a little more time,

Please forgive my forthrightness/crudness. I don't have the time to craft a more circumspect response.

With respect, I don't think you're getting it.

No doubt you can comfortably afford to write off the 270k. ( A few more BJ's and you might feel comfortable writing off even more!) But the car incident seems symptomatic of a deeper misalignment in your relationship. The two of you may have different assumptions of what your union is about and where it stands.

This incident is an opportunity to talk about deeper issues, perhaps with the aid of a trusted third party. For now, both of you may feel more comfortable sweeping the whole thing under the rug. While that may work for a while, I don't think it's healthy.

More likely he couldn't meet the payment schedule on the truck and it has been repossessed. But that doesn't matter as his daughter has given him a replacement on which he needs to make no payments. :lol:

@drum

You don't sound like a smart guy, why the hel_l would you get a car in your gf's name ?. Will she leave you if she is not financially compensated ? If so your just an old fool with a young bird that is taking the piss. There is absolutely no reason for putting a car in your gf's name you can have a car in your name too. Now your just giving her a car and if she decides to dump you its all lost.

@drum

You don't sound like a smart guy, why the hel_l would you get a car in your gf's name ?. Will she leave you if she is not financially compensated ? If so your just an old fool with a young bird that is taking the piss. There is absolutely no reason for putting a car in your gf's name you can have a car in your name too. Now your just giving her a car and if she decides to dump you its all lost.

i dont see a problem putting a car in girlfriends name done it myself there was 3 conditions though..

1.. car was manual so misses could not drive it....

2 ..car was financed also in her name.....................

3...deposit was 50/50 rest of monthly payments coming from her bussines.....:P

Edited by taninthai

@drum

i dont see a problem putting a car in girlfriends name done it myself there was 3 conditions though..

1. Her boy friend can. :D

oh no he cant this was 1 1/2year ago since found out car had been clocked so returned to tent got money back misses just last week bought herself old toyota corolla auto paid cash with her own money.........................................................:D

If I've understood this thread correctly, OP has put over 1 million Baht of assets under his g/f name, but he is still thinking in a Western type way that since he paid for the cars, they remain his cars. Meantime, g/f may well be thinking that, in law, she actually owns the cars and can therefore do whatever she likes with them. If this true, OP is indeed on a very sticky wicket, and potentially looking at a B1 million loss.

I have a friend whose wife told him that he cannot have a car in his name, and he never did the research to find out he could. Then when I bought my truck and put it in my name my friend's wife was asking my wife why it is in my name not hers and why she didn't tell me that I couldn't do that. Her response was that it is my truck not hers, and why would she want to do that?

Maybe our friend here is one of those guys who never did the research and was told he couldn't do it.

Edited by CDNinLOS

Mayve we could start a forum about guys who buy things in their lover's name and either think its the way to go or not.

Would not be a dull forum. :huh:

Good idea, but those who ask will STILL do it.

Sadly l have known a few that do it and l am convinced it's fear of their woman. :ermm:

I suggest calling it reflections on the advantages of hindsight

I have a friend whose wife told him that he cannot have a car in his name, and he never did the research to find out he could. Then when I bought my truck and put it in my name my friend's wife was asking my wife why it is in my name not hers and why she didn't tell me that I couldn't do that. Her response was that it is my truck not hers, and why would she want to do that?

Maybe our friend here is one of those guys who never did the research and was told he couldn't do it.

There are actually many Thais that do not know that a Farang can own a car in his own name.

When I bought my first car in my name my secretary was surprised that I was able to do so, she didn't beleive it was possible until I showed her the blue book with my name in it.

Although in your example it seems that your friends wife knew full well it's possible and was just lying to him.

I was lead to believe that a tourist on a 28 day visa wouldn't be able to buy a vehicle in their name, as for registration purposes, it was a requirement that they have at least 30 days remaining on their visa. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but at least cudos to CDNinLOS's wife to her admirable reply.

@drum

1. Her boy friend can. :D

oh no he cant this was 1 1/2year ago since found out car had been clocked so returned to tent got money back misses just last week bought herself old toyota corolla auto paid cash with her own money.........................................................:D

Sure the car i own with my wife is in her name too. But finance is on her name and we put 60% down on the car but we shared (60/40)that. Now the payments are also 60/40 (i make more money so i pay more). But we are married so in case of divorce i can get at least 50% of the car back. So it is possible as long as you do it sensible.

No, it is NOT BS. It is the Thai way of thinking. The girlfriend was caught between helping her family and hoping the OP would go along with it. She was hoping that everything would work out, but had no idea how it would. As I've said many times, it is a Buddhist way of thinking. Poor Thais have no concept of time or payment. They live in the now and don't consider the future. Buddha is supposed to take care of that.

Ian is very right.

My GF's family has just signed over a piece of land as collateral for a big loan. It is not the first time. They have basically no real income and I doubt the will be able to pay the mortgage. So they will end up losing the within 2 years (my estimate) and the family is then down to owning a minor piece of land from 20 years ago when they were the biggest land owner in the region. But that was before 'someone' gambled away most of the money they ever got a hold of... atleast he stopped doing that some years ago.

Edited by TAWP

No, it is NOT BS. It is the Thai way of thinking. The girlfriend was caught between helping her family and hoping the OP would go along with it. She was hoping that everything would work out, but had no idea how it would. As I've said many times, it is a Buddhist way of thinking. Poor Thais have no concept of time or payment. They live in the now and don't consider the future. Buddha is supposed to take care of that.

Ian is very right.

My GF's family has just signed over a piece of land as collateral for a big loan. It is not the first time. They have basically no real income and I doubt the will be able to pay the mortgage. So they will end up losing the within 2 years (my estimate) and the family is then down to owning a minor piece of land from 20 years ago when they were the biggest land owner in the region. But that was before 'someone' gambled away most of the money they ever got a hold of... atleast he stopped doing that some years ago.

Ian is right that they don't consider the future - but not that "it is a Buddhist way of thinking".

The last I heard Buddhists are not supposed to care about money or possessions, far less think of ways to steal them...... :o The OP's girlfriend and family knew they could not afford to pay the 270,000 baht, but took the car anyway - it appears. Perhaps the OP is right and they just need more time.

Ian is very right.

Ian is right that they don't consider the future - but not that "it is a Buddhist way of thinking".

The last I heard Buddhists are not supposed to care about money or possessions, far less think of ways to steal them...... :o The OP's girlfriend and family knew they could not afford to pay the 270,000 baht, but took the car anyway - it appears. Perhaps the OP is right and they just need more time.

You misunderstood when I mentioned the Buddhist way of thinking. It has nothing to do with money. I has to do with letting your future be guided by Buddha. All you are supposed to do is lead a good life. Unfortunately, it doesn't include making wise decisions for the future.

Ian is very right.

You misunderstood when I mentioned the Buddhist way of thinking. It has nothing to do with money. I has to do with letting your future be guided by Buddha. All you are supposed to do is lead a good life. Unfortunately, it doesn't include making wise decisions for the future.

So the girlfriend and family were doing their best to 'lead a good life" by taking a car they could not pay for?

Taking a car is so 'materialistic' that its hard to see how Buddha would have approved

Edited by F1fanatic