Phuket, The Myterious North...

8i8

hi all,,,

i'm looking for a house to rent on phuket island. i've based myself in kata (which is a little busy for my taste), and i've been looking around further south. it's really nice there, and there seem to be quite a few houses to rent, and quite a few long term stayers. however, before settling myself down, i'd like to check other parts of the island.

looking at the map, or reading a book i've got, the north looks like a great void. so before daring to cross the hectic patong-phuket line (i find it quite unnerving on a motorbike), i was hoping for some advice.

where should i start? what are the beaches like? how do prices compare? i'm in my early thirties, and the scene here in the south seems to be older than that (and as a consequence more expensive). is it the same up north? or in other words, is there anybody out there?!

any response is most welcome...

d

I am in the south and I think its great. I don't know that the south is any more expensive or "old" than the north.

I too am in my thirties and find the scene down here to be very cool but I guess it depends on what you are into. It takes a while to find the good spots.

Don't venture up that way very often so can't help you with price comparisons. Good luck with your search.

I will wait and hear what the northerners have to say! :o

I had 21/2 great years in Chalong, lots of expats, cheaper than Kata/karon, friendly locals, no swimming tho, have to travel for that

South is the only place to be .... real people ( there are loads of cool people in your age group here, just takes a little while to meet them) good swimming at Nai Harn beach and decent prices.

I find the north to be a little "darling, darling" (air kiss, air kiss) and more expensive.

My advice: Move to the south (Rawai area is nice) and take it from there! :o

Depends where in the North you go.

If you look at the west-coast up north, then Surin and Bangtao beaches are very upmarket and the shops are expensive (land of the air-kiss). The only really undeveloped beach is Mai Khao. This is "quiet" because the beach is host to Phuket International Airport. A lot of jet noise.

If you head to Talang and everything east, then, you are out in the boonies. Just moobahns and prawn farms. You would want to stay fairly inland on the east coast as the prawn farms pong a bit.

Value for money, scenery, proximity to good beachess, things to do and nice people in general, both Thai and falang, you can't beat the Chalong-Rawai-Nai Harn area IMHO.

If noise is not your thing (and it sounds like it) I think Torny hit the nail on the head..

Theres lots of nice woodland / private / beachy areas (Nai Yang is lovely and where my wifey1's family came from) in the North (especially NW) in fact sceinicaly the area from Bang Tao / Surin to Nai Yang is one of my favorite on the Island.. Cool rubber tree shade.. Less developed region.. I suspect this region will be then next gold rush land once facilitites pick up (3 - 5 years ?)

Of course your a long way from any expat bars, supermarkets, Phuket town, probably ADSL connections, etc.. If all you crave is to be left alone it could be fine.. I couldnt hack it but then the ADD kicks in pretty easy with me..

wow, thanx for all the responses...

so,,, can i sum it up by saying it's very beautiful, but perhaps even more expensive? (phuket being more expensive than the rest of thailand is already pushing my budget)....

is adsl a common thing up there, or not yet?

in any case, i'm very curious now, so i'll definitely go have a look around.

d