Re-Entry Permit

Help this newbie, I'm so confused.

I need to apply for a re-entry permit when I arrive in Thailand. Can I apply for one at Bangkok Intl Airport? I keep reading conflicting reports about this on the Internet and I don't know what to believe.

Also, is it possible to apply for a re-entry permit somewhere near Koh Samui? If so, where?

And how long does the process take generally?

Thanks!

Re-entry permits are used to keep alive your 'extensions' - you apply at the office who issued your extension. 1000 Baht single 3800 Baht for multi.

One of the experts (not me) will give you further advice I am sure.

They will need far more details of what you have in regards to visas etc.

If you are a 'newbie ' to Thailand and not just ThaVisa I think you may be confused as to what you actually need.

Edited by pontious

Re-entry permits are used to keep alive your 'extensions' - you apply at the office who issued your extension. 1000 Baht single 3800 Baht for multi.

One of the experts (not me) will give you further advice I am sure.

They will need far more details of what you have in regards to visas etc.

If you are a 'newbie ' to Thailand and not just ThaVisa I think you may be confused as to what you actually need.

MMM me not newbie but hel_l if I know when one NEEDS a reentry permit?

What is it...If one has a multi entry visa why the need??

Thanks to the knowledgeable....

A re-entry permit is used to keep alive your current permitted to stay until time in Thailand for trips out during that period. So if you entered on a tourist visa for 60 days providing a stay until November 30 you could obtain a re-entry permit that on a short trip out would allow you to return with that same November 30 permitted to stay until date. Not usually used for visa entry like this as most would be a 30 day visa exempt entry free but for some it can be useful and for extensions of stay they are very important.

A re-entry permit is used to keep alive your current permitted to stay until time in Thailand for trips out during that period. So if you entered on a tourist visa for 60 days providing a stay until November 30 you could obtain a re-entry permit that on a short trip out would allow you to return with that same November 30 permitted to stay until date. Not usually used for visa entry like this as most would be a 30 day visa exempt entry free but for some it can be useful and for extensions of stay they are very important.

I have a single entry tourist visa issued in London. So to confirm, I can apply for the re-entry permit in Bangkok (that Soi Phlu place) or even in Koh Samui, right?

Thanks

Edited by troob

Yes you can. But understand that it would only be required if you want to return on the same entry and perhaps extend. It will not add any days directly to your current entry.

Yep got that. I want to go into Laos and will need more days than the 15 day stamp you are given when entering via a Thai land border. So I got the free tourist visa but I stupidly forgot to ask for multiple entry so have to get a re-entry permit when I get there..

Thanks for the help!

A few minutes to overnight depending on location.

How long would it take in the Bangkok office? Or possibly even the Chiang Mai one?Which locations tend to take overnight so I know where to avoid?

Thanks

Edited by troob

Guys, since this is an active/current thread, I won't create a new one for my related question...

I've got to go to Chaeng Wattana this week for another annual retirement extension, and it's my plan to also get a single-entry re-entry permit using the TM 8 form. I never much had to deal with this before, because I always had a multi-entry visa... But now I'm on extension... So...

1. In the middle part of the form where it asks about "I intend to go" outside Thailand on such and such date to where and intend to return when.... If I don't have any particular outside Thailand travel planned, is it OK/correct to leave that section BLANK??

post-53787-091171300 1283773935_thumb.jp

2. Toward the bottom of the form, where it asks "my previous visa for Thailand is in the category of"... and then asks, where issued, what date... Are they asking for the info on my last actual visa (which was a multi-Entry B issued by the Houston Consulate two years ago), or are they asking for the date and location of my last year's initial retirement extension issued at Suan Phlu???

3. Then below when they ask, I arrived in Thailand on.... Are they asking for my most recent entry date into Thailand, or the entry date associated with either my last visa or last retirement extension, depending on the answer to #2 above...

post-53787-057986700 1283773937_thumb.jp

Thanks very much in advance.... Details details...

The main Chaeng Wattana office in Bangkok should be able to issue re-entry permits while you wait, as long as you don't arrive at the very end of their business day...

Can't speak to Chiang Mai....

The old Suan Plu immigration Office off of Sathorn Road also has Saturday hours for re-entry permits...

Saturday Open 8.30 - 12.00 noon

at Immigration Division1 (Soi SuanPlu)

- Counter 6 service for visa extension of Tourist visa,Transit visa, without visa and visa on arrival.

- Counter 7 for Re-entry permit .

Featured Service

You could apply an extention stay or a re-entry permit at every checkpoint except at the Suvarnabhumi Airport Checkpoint. For a re-entry permit,if you are in Bangkok area and you have an Internet access, you could fill in a TM. 8 form and send it to [email protected].

You should e-mail the completed form 1 day in advance. You have to submit a 2" photo and pay a permit fee at counter 7, the Immigration Bureau (soi suanplu office.)

— Fee for re-entry permit:

1,000 Bahts for single

3,800 Bahts for multiple

With cooperation between Immigration Bureau and Government Contact Center, now you can call 1111 for immigration inquiry for 24 hours. 3 baht per call for fixed line phone.

A few minutes to overnight depending on location.

How long would it take in the Bangkok office? Or possibly even the Chiang Mai one?Which locations tend to take overnight so I know where to avoid?

Thanks

LiteBeer, I guess I'm not accustomed to Thai Immigration responding with "it doesn't matter" how their forms are filled out and submitted...

But even if they won't care, what would you suggest as the best answers for the questions below?

2. Toward the bottom of the form, where it asks "my previous visa for Thailand is in the category of"... and then asks, where issued, what date... Are they asking for the info on my last actual visa (which was a multi-Entry B issued by the Houston Consulate two years ago), or are they asking for the date and location of my last year's initial retirement extension issued at Suan Phlu???

3. Then below when they ask, I arrived in Thailand on.... Are they asking for my most recent entry date into Thailand, or the entry date associated with either my last visa or last retirement extension, depending on the answer to #2 above...

post-53787-057986700 1283773937_thumb.jp

Thanks... I'll give that a try...and see what happens...

I was just trying to avoid filling out the form, attaching the photo, and getting there to submit it... only to have someone tell me, No, you should have used your last extension, or No, you should have used your visa entry date, etc etc... And then have to do the dang thing all over again... :bah:

2. Your last actual visa. Houston.

3. Last entry.

That's what I do anyway.

As said it does not really matter. :)

On this form I would use the extension of stay as that is specifically what they want to look at and base there re-entry permit on.

Last entry should always be last entry (the one stamped on your arrival card (if stamped). That will always contain your permitted to stay until date that they will use for the re-entry permit.

Thank you Lopburi... That advice makes some sense... But now, that raises an interesting question...

Right now, I know my permitted to stay until date, which is the one they stamped in my passport a year ago with my current extension and will expire in the next two weeks. So I'm going to Chaeng Wattana this week to apply for a new retirement extension, along with re-entry permit and 90 day report.

Obviously, I was trying to fill out all the documents in advance. And in doing the re-entry form, the only permitted to stay until date I have right now and could use is the soon expiring one...

Based on your comment about Immigration using the permitted to stay date on the re-entry permit application as the end date for the new re-entry permit, do I then need to wait until I complete the retirement extension process at CW and then use the NEW extension issuance date and NEW permitted to stay until date given with my new extension to fill in on the re-entry permit application form that I'll submit there that same day???

I'm not looking to buy a new re-entry permit that's going to expire in two weeks with my old permitted to stay date... I had thought they'd somehow know that I (presumably) would have gotten a new extension earlier that same day in my passport... But, maybe my assuming that would be ill-founded, naive, and a waste of 1,000 baht.

You need your new extension of stay before you get the re-entry permit or it will be useless; as your new extension of stay will preempt your current one.

What you write on the application form just makes it easier for them to find the current information in a messy passport. The re-entry permit needs to be based on most current extension of stay.

• 5 months later...