Marriage Visa Vs Settlement Visa (Uk)

hi,

my GF and I hope to start a family from April next year. April/May will be the only time i can see her, the next time being in july. we also hope to apply for a settlement visa at the end of july 2011 when we marry at an ampur office. this could mean that her visa was accepted, possibly around the end of october, at which time she will be 7 months pregnant, so she wont be able to fly.

from what i can read on the ukvisas.gov websight a marriage visa is form vaf4, which is the same as a settlement visa. am i right in saying that a marriage visa to UK is the same as a settlement visa.

i always thought they were different, a marriage visa i thought was easier to get. if they are the same, then maybe we will marry at the end of April and apply then. but if they are different, can someone please provide me with a link to the marriage visa.

my girlfriend has 2 children who i would like to bring over to the uk for christmas if possible

thanks for any help

from what i can read on the ukvisas.gov websight a marriage visa is form vaf4, which is the same as a settlement visa. am i right in saying that a marriage visa to UK is the same as a settlement visa.

Yes it is. Once you are married you can apply for a 27 month settlement visa.

Alternatively, you can apply for a fiancée visa (which is also a settlement visa) and get married in the UK. This is a more expensive option. The fiancée visa costs the same (£644) as a settlement visa but once your G/F is in the UK you must get married within six months then apply for (and pay another £644) a 27 month extension to her visa.

Just noticed the bit about the two children. If you want to bring them to the UK at the same time I think you'd have to get married in Thailand first then apply for 27 month settlement visas for all three.

Edited by sumrit

I think there is a bit of confusion with the terminology. A marriage visa is definitely not the same as a settlement visa. There is a marriage visa, which is basically a visit visa ( maximum six months ), meaning you are expected to leave the UK after your marriage/visit. It cannot be extended in the UK. Then there is a fiance(e) visa, which is basically what Sumrit has described above. With this visa you are expected to marry in the UK within six months, but you can then apply for leave to remain as a spouse. Then there is the settlement visa, where you will normally be married before you apply for the visa, or have lived together for at least two years.

For the children, it looks like you are talking about visit visas ? If so, then they will need to fulfill the visit visa requirements, including showing that they have an incentive to return to Thailand after any visit.

If we can assist in any way, then please contact us through our website.

Edited by VisasPlus

I think there is a bit of confusion with the terminology. A marriage visa is definitely not the same as a settlement visa.

Sorry visa plus, I wasn't suggesting a 'marriage visit visa' was the same as a settlement visa. Because the O/P associated a 'marriage visa' with a VAF4A application form I assumed he was talking about either getting a fiancée visa or having to get married in Thailand before getting a settlement visa. People posting on this forum commonly refer to both of these a marriage visa and that's why I said they were the same.

Also, because the O/P had refered to the VAF4A application form I assumed he intended that the children would also be going to the UK on settlement visas, which he hoped could be organised before Christmas, rather than your interpretation of his post that he was getting visit visas for them. Maybe the O/P will clarify things.

Edited by sumrit

I think there is a bit of confusion with the terminology. A marriage visa is definitely not the same as a settlement visa.

Sorry visa plus, I wasn't suggesting a 'marriage visit visa' was the same as a settlement visa. Because the O/P associated a 'marriage visa' with a VAF4A application form I assumed he was talking about either getting a fiancée visa or having to get married in Thailand before getting a settlement visa. People posting on this forum commonly refer to both of these a marriage visa and that's why I said they were the same.

Also, because the O/P had refered to the VAF4A application form I assumed he intended that the children would also be going to the UK on settlement visas, which he hoped could be organised before Christmas, rather than your interpretation of his post that he was getting visit visas for them. Maybe the O/P will clarify things.

It is confusing, Sumrit. I agree, the OP needs to clarify a little.

I think there is a bit of confusion with the terminology. A marriage visa is definitely not the same as a settlement visa. There is a marriage visa, which is basically a visit visa ( maximum six months ), meaning you are expected to leave the UK after your marriage/visit. It cannot be extended in the UK. Then there is a fiance(e) visa, which is basically what Sumrit has described above. With this visa you are expected to marry in the UK within six months, but you can then apply for leave to remain as a spouse. Then there is the settlement visa, where you will normally be married before you apply for the visa, or have lived together for at least two years.

For the children, it looks like you are talking about visit visas ? If so, then they will need to fulfill the visit visa requirements, including showing that they have an incentive to return to Thailand after any visit.

If we can assist in any way, then please contact us through our website.

thanks for the replies, i think settlement will be the way forward.