Uk Settlement Visa Processing Time

Hi all.

I know the average waiting time for a UK settlement visa is around 8-9 weeks, but if all the documents are presented well and clear enough for the ECO, and there is no need for them to interview my wife, could the visa be granted a lot quicker than 8-9 weeks??

Kind regards

Chris

The answer to that is no, I'm afraid. The way it works is that when the application is submitted at VFS they are checked to make sure that everything is presented. VFS have no part in the decision-making process. The documents then go to the Embassy where they are processsed. At this stage, again, nobody is looking at the documents from a decision - making point of view. There is then a " queue " until the whole file is put before the ECO for assessment and a decision, if possible. The length of the "queue" depends on variables such as the time of year, number of applications, etc. A decision may be made at this stage, or the ECO can make further enquiries. Basically, that's it.

You will, of course, be the sponsor of your wife's application. You will need to provide evidence of your finances to show that you will be able to support your wife without claiming any additional public funds; bank statements, pay slips etc.. See Supporting documents checklist. Your credit status should have little or no bearing on this; provided you show that any debts you may have are being adequately serviced.

Your parents should provide a letter of invitation, describing the property and who else lives there to show that there will be at least one room for the exclusive use of you and your wife.

If they own the property then they should provide evidence of this, e.g. a mortgage statement or copy of the deeds; if they rent then a letter from their landlord granting permission for you and your wife to live there.

You may find Maintenance and accommodation and Settlement; Spouses helpful.

You will, of course, be the sponsor of your wife's application. You will need to provide evidence of your finances to show that you will be able to support your wife without claiming any additional public funds; bank statements, pay slips etc.. See Supporting documents checklist. Your credit status should have little or no bearing on this; provided you show that any debts you may have are being adequately serviced.

Your parents should provide a letter of invitation, describing the property and who else lives there to show that there will be at least one room for the exclusive use of you and your wife.

If they own the property then they should provide evidence of this, e.g. a mortgage statement or copy of the deeds; if they rent then a letter from their landlord granting permission for you and your wife to live there.

You may find Maintenance and accommodation and Settlement; Spouses helpful.

At the moment I'm not paying any of my debts, but will they credit check me anyway? In my bank statements all they will see is that I have a healthy bank account and that I can and that I am supporting my wife.

My wait for a settlement visa for my wife's son, was from 4th June until 18th August 2010; it was successful and there were 2 telephone calls made to her son to confirm issues and answer questions. So that was the time time in the 'queue'.

As for your finances submit your statements etc, For your own sake (and your parents/wife) speak to your creditors to reach an arrangement before it does become a real problem.

Good luck...!!

Post deleted as same question asked here.

If any members wish to post an answer/comment to the OP's credit check question, please do so in that other topic; thanks.

Please do not ask the same question in different topics as it can cause confusion.

Waiting times have increased from around 6 or 7 weeks a few months ago to around 9 or 10 weeks now and they appear to be rising still. In the waiting thread, the last two people to get their visas were both over the 10 week mark.

Is there a reason for the delay ? No, not when they are processing tourist visas much quicker. However, tourist visas require very little justification for their small fee. If you got your settlement visa back the next day you would be arguing how on earth it cost Bt32,000 !

If you got your settlement visa back the next day you would be arguing how on earth it cost Bt32,000 !

If anyone can remember, late 2009/early 2010, this was exactly the case!! Settlement Visa's were being churned out within 24 hours! We're holding out until new year 2011. I'm hoping it reduces to that timescale again!

Is there a reason for the delay ? No, not when they are processing tourist visas much quicker. However, tourist visas require very little justification for their small fee. If you got your settlement visa back the next day you would be arguing how on earth it cost Bt32,000 !

I am sure that the UKBA's argument would be that some types of visa require more work/investigation than others and so will take longer to process.

Back in 2000 when applying for my wife's settlement visa I asked why it cost so much more than a visit visa. The reply was that the settlement fee also included the cost of processing ILR and, if necessary, any FLR applications. As at the time both FLR and ILR applications were free, this made sense.

Then, in 2003 if I recall correctly, Tony Blair decided to charge fees for FLR and ILR applications. Was the initial settlement fee reduced accordingly? Obviously not! Since then the last government have annually increased most application fees way above inflation; and there is every indication that the new government, despite vociferous opposition from both parties when the fees were introduced, will continue to do the same.

So, it is not the UKBA who have to justify these fees, it is the politicians who set them!

Don't get me wrong; I have no objection to applicants paying a fair fee for the service provided; but the current high fees for most applications are not fair.