I Can Use Some Advice On Job Hunting In Bkk :)

HappyMyriad

Hi all,

I have a ticket to BKK leaving the 4th. of November.

Plan is to drop the return flight, find a job and stay there.

I'm checking employment sites now and apparently Thai focus a lot on degrees.

I don't have one (but lots of training on the job so I'm competent).

I heard that no degree means no work permit unless an employer states that he'll hire you.

What's the best way to find a legal job in BKK in my situation ? ( recruitment offices, focussing on int'l companies, ...? )

Thanks for your advise!

Edit: I put the post in the BKK forum

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/395898-job-hunting-bkk/

Edited by HappyMyriad

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't lose the return ticket.

If you do find a job, I believe you will need to leave the country to get the right type of visa to allow you to work.

I once discussed visa options in a bar in Ao Nang.....I'm no clearer now than I was then and no doubt the rules have changed since anyway.....feel free to update us all...

Do a lot of research before you come.

For instance, you could have found out that if you have a visa, you can travel on a single ticket.

Although I'm planning to drop the return flight I didn't want to enter the country on a single ticket.

You may assume that I didn't do much research so far but you're wrong.

I spent about 7 hours a day on research.

I still have other things to do (wether you believe it or not).

And again, I would appreciate some on-topic replies instead of having to reply on out of the blue assumptions of a bored stranger...

heres the scoop.

thais dont want you working unless you have something to offer that thais dont have!

Ability to read and write English....queston is can you teach it?.....no degree wel piss poor money.

How odd your research turned up nothing better OP.......well there's always timeshare sales if you're desperate....or why not open your own bar! :D

So many options....

if op did research he wouldnt do what he is doing.

he has no special skill. if he did get a job it would pay very little,yadda,yabba, doo..............

- You mean that I should look before I leap and plan this a year in advance?

Fortunately not everyone is alike.

- And yes, I do have a special skill. One where you have never heard of. Wanna bet?

(by the way, I'm not going to Thailand to get rich)

I leave because I'm looking for a different mentality, opposite of yours (if you feel the need to post in a malicious way like you apparently need to do, then i really feel sorry for you).

There are others ways to say that you don't think it's a smart idea to do it the way I do.

Growing up would be better than throwing up in your case (if I may say so).... :)

• Like 1

he has no special skill. if he did get a job it would pay very little,yadda,yabba, doo..............

- And yes, I do have a special skill. One where you have never heard of. Wanna bet?

I leave because I'm looking for a different mentality, opposite of yours (if you feel the need to post in a malicious way like you apparently need to do, then i really feel sorry for you).

There are others ways to say that you don't think it's a smart idea to do it the way I do.

Growing up would be better than throwing up in your case (if I may say so).... :)

Why don't you just tell us what your 'special skill' is and we can give you some advice....its like pulling teeth from some people. A word of advice for job interviews OP....you need to sell yourself and every skill and ability you have.....and you're failing to do that here imo.

heres the scoop.

thais dont want you working unless you have something to offer that thais dont have!

Ability to read and write English....queston is can you teach it?.....no degree wel piss poor money.

How odd your research turned up nothing better OP.......well there's always timeshare sales if you're desperate....or why not open your own bar! :D

So many options....

Yes I can teach it. I've been teaching French here in Brussels with satisfied 'pupils' if you want to know.

I decided to relocate one week ago. I can imagine that you would have sorted it all out in 1 day! B)

Why don't you just tell us what your 'special skill' is and we can give you some advice....its like pulling teeth from some people. A word of advice for job interviews OP....you need to sell yourself and every skill and ability you have.....and you're failing to do that here imo.

You missed out on something smokie!

I don't have to sell myself here AT ALL :D as you are not employers (fortunately)

My skills and abilities are of no importance for this thread.

My question was which channels are the best to use in order to find a job.

Nothing more, nothing less.

(if you didn't understand the opening post then you could have said so right away, but I guess you're just pretending not to

understand).

I'm off. I've lost enough time here.

Thank you all for your input.

Nice to meet you :rolleyes:

the problema is that the situation is quite the same all around Asia unless

you've got years of proven experience, knowledge of asian languages and culture,

and skills that companies can't find locally.

finding a job in BKK is no difference from finding a job in Kuala Lumpur

or Tokyo or Seoul or Beijing, with the only exception that in China

there's a bit more western companies seeking farangs for software

and import/export, but for anything else it all boils down to

english teaching (legally or not) and/or other shady activities

you should better stay away from.

and finally, the days of fat "expat salaries" are almost over

unless you're an executive for a multinational.

What's the best way to find a legal job in BKK in my situation ? ( recruitment offices, focussing on int'l companies, ...? )

What is the best way...? Being open with your skill set, then we can help.

You already show your naivety focusing on International companies....most of them hire Thai's and are managed by Thai's, quite competently.

Thanks for your advise!

I guess teaching English is out.

I have a crazy idea...........

Find a company in your home country that also has a presence in Thailand.

Get a job with that company in your home country.

Express your interest in being transferred to Thailand when a position here becomes available.

Id say that's how 90% farang get good jobs here in Thailand.wink.gif

Express your interest in being transferred to Thailand when a position here becomes available.

That is assuming this "highly specailized skill" that the OP has, is required by his employers, and his employers are a multi-national company with a prescense in Thailand.... and then they would want this individual, with no experience or back ground in Asia studies, culture, economics etc, to come and work in Thailand....

That is assuming this "highly specailized skill" that the OP has, is required by his employers, and his employers are a multi-national company with a prescense in Thailand.... and then they would want this individual, with no experience or back ground in Asia studies, culture, economics etc, to come and work in Thailand....

he could just target french and belgian companies and seek job posting where they require

spoken/written french mother tongue.

there's plenty of cases where they need mother tongue translators, QA engineers,

technical writers, and so forth.

the only issue is i don't see much action about this in thailand as IT/ICT companies

are now mostly in china, taiwan, malaysia, singapore.

(who would invest in thailand after all ? even Carrefour is selling out)

my 2 cents ? go in Phuket or Pattaya and find a job as a waiter or barmen

in any farang-run resort or restaurant or gogo-bar, if you're lucky they could even

pay you decently, don't waste your time in BKK, unless you're skilled and you

know what you're doing this city is not farang-friendly.

It is definitely possible to find a "normal" job here in Thailand, it requires a bit of hunting though, e.g. through networking events, trade shows, and straightforward door-knocking - i.e. sending your CV around to companies that you see as potential employers, or even getting on the phone and calling them. This is how it more commonly works over here, rather than going to a recruitment agency or similar: although they do also exist and may be useful if these other methods aren't bearing any fruit.

Try browsing around online for recruitment agencies and headhunting agencies also (Google "recruitment company bangkok" and other similar terms), and you could use online networking sites also such as LinkedIn and Ecademy.

This website can be a useful source of info, but only if you ask for specific targetted information. Any question that you post which requires an opinion, e.g. "what are my chances of finding job XYZ" or "what do you think of this offer" will almost certainly be met with a barrage of criticism and negativity, as this seems to be the general atmosphere on this board. This thread itself is a pretty good example of what I mean, and it can be quite disheartening, so it's better to use ThaiVisa when you have a specific question about the legalities of working, or about obtaining work permits, visas, etc.

I have degree or years of experience in a field that can help me here in Thailand yet I get by OK. I get the bills paid and to be making good money by the end of the year.

Think outside the box a little and you might find something to suit you, although it seems as though the OP's attitude is a little off.

• Like 1

Do a lot of research before you come.

For instance, you could have found out that if you have a visa, you can travel on a single ticket.

Although I'm planning to drop the return flight I didn't want to enter the country on a single ticket.

You may assume that I didn't do much research so far but you're wrong.

I spent about 7 hours a day on research.

I still have other things to do (wether you believe it or not).

And again, I would appreciate some on-topic replies instead of having to reply on out of the blue assumptions of a bored stranger...

A change in your attitude would help you, and given your first message (which could easily be interpreted that you haven't done much research and also interpreted that your making lots of assumptions) I'm not surprised at the replies you've received.

By the way how many times have you visited Thailand before?

If you provide some expanded detail of your actual skills and work experience and your age might well get some focused replies and valuable advice.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1