Jaguar, Common Sense Or The Heart

Topcroc

THe Jag V12 was a "third world" engine

The MK VII I had in my twenties was not thirld world but I guess the UK and America can be considered third world now for the newer ones.

Maybe OT but I was talking to a guy recently who got an E430 from the Custom's Auction. That would do for long distance cruising.

THe Jag V12 was a "third world" engine

The MK VII I had in my twenties was not thirld world but I guess the UK and America can be considered third world now for the newer ones.

THe mark VII had the inline 6 which was conceived before WW2.the V12 was basically the same engine and was completely incapable of coping with the driving conditions of the late 20th century.

How can a V12 be the same as a straight six ?

The V12 was designed in the 50's and the production V12 had single over head cams where the 6 had double overhead cams. :rolleyes:

As for servicing you are right, the SU's were a pain and tappet adjustment was a major job.

A mock up of how the v12 might have looked.

The final V12s were the culmination of a long period of power plant deliberation at Jaguar...

Jaguar had first tested a quad-cam racing 4994cc V12 in August 1964. Using fuel injection, engineers managed to extract 502bhp at 7600 rpm out of the unit. The story of the V12 is complex, and trying to differentiate race and road engines is difficult. Early photographs show V12 blocks with XK cylinder heads fed by six SU carburettors.

502bhp in a 1960's car, i'll have some of that!

Having owned various XJ's I would love to move back into one.

A friend of mine who worked for BL ended up as a mechanic in Australia, he had a client with a XJS v12, heads and cam work along with 6 IDA webers saw 500bhp and was easily worked on.

Gary Walker ended up with Hamiltons burned out XJS project and rebuild it, twin turbo, pushing out 1200bhp.

They were bad motors in their early days with #5 bearing failures common, but the HE version resolved that.

post-4090-085083800 1284048992_thumb.png

Jag never solved the problems of the V12 - it was not a complicated story as you suggest they had various dead-ends and u-turnsbut at the end of the day they couldn't make it compete with the cars that Jag considered competitors - essentially Merc.........which is why the mid-engined "supercar" ended up with a V8*.

I've lusted over a Jag V12 engine for a long time. On a sandy bottom they make great boat anchors! :D

I hear a chevvy does just fine too if you can beat the rust,. :whistling:

At a fraction of the cost. :unsure:

Check out how rusting occurs underwater - i.e. in a low oxygen environment.as a mostly cast iron engine it would make a far more reliable anchor........under the sea as on land it proves more reliable than the Jag!

Edited by Deeral

I've lusted over a Jag V12 engine for a long time. On a sandy bottom they make great boat anchors! :D

At a fraction of the cost. :unsure:

Check out how rusting occurs underwater - i.e. in a low oxygen environment.as a mostly cast iron engine it would make a far more reliable anchor........under the sea as on land it proves more reliable than the Jag!

But does it have the walnut panelling :unsure:

Jag never solved the problems of the V12 - it was not a complicated story as you suggest they had various dead-ends and u-turnsbut at the end of the day they couldn't make it compete with the cars that Jag considered competitors - essentially Merc.........which is why the mid-engined "supercar" ended up with a V8*.

Jag solved the V12 problem (pollution, heatissues, reliability, buildcost) by replacing it with a V8:D . Still being used, and now even with a kompressor/supercharger, and since Tata took over also available in Range Rover:P a sweet engine.:P :P

Chevy 350 is THE most used marine inboard petrol engine, sold as Mercruiser, Volvo, OMC you name it. With sink anodes they dont rust much

Chevy 350 is THE most used marine inboard petrol engine, sold as Mercruiser, Volvo, OMC you name it. With sink anodes they dont rust much

Also the military, with specially cast 4 bolt main blocks, stiffer than stock, easily recognized on strip down as it has a big W (war) in the casting. I would suggest the marine variant is the same spec as l know the big block Chevy is a stronger casting for marine. :)

most of these marine 350s are even seawater/saltwater cooled, thus temp max 65C? to avoid saltwater boiling. Engine still good for 15-30 years in boat

My last boat with 350 (Mercruiser) and straight pipes was pure music at half throttle and 28-30 knots:P

guess, we re off topic, back to Jags:)

Also the military, with specially cast 4 bolt main blocks, stiffer than stock, easily recognized on strip down as it has a big W (war) in the casting. I would suggest the marine variant is the same spec as l know the big block Chevy is a stronger casting for marine. :)