Good Things About Thailand

thaibebop

I joined Thaivisa to learn about Thailand, because my wife is Thai and would like to live in her homeland once again. However, since joining I have learned only the bad things. What the police don't do, why farangs are 2nd class to Thais, and how many ways myself and my children could be raped, robbed and killed.

Fine, thank you for the warnings. Now, please tell me the good things. I mean anything little or big thing. What are some of your favorite things about this land and it's people? Where are some of the best places to go, and I mean for you personally? You got a happy story, an uplifting story, a meaningful story I don't care. I just want to see what makes life in Thailand good.

Thank you for your time. :o

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite thing in LOS

It never snows in Thailand!

Beautiful women

awesome food

great beaches

all at a resonable price

Favorite places

#1 Krabi(beaches)

#2 Pattaya(shopping not for the bg's)

#3 Prachinburi(wife's family)

In general, the whole country is my favorite place.

I know I will get flamed for this, but the only place the wife and I felt uneasy at was Phuket. We were there during the ground war of Iraq so I am sure that had alot to do with it.

PKG

All right, food and people.

I love Thai food. I am always begging my wife to cook Thai food. She asks me what kind, I say anything. The only Thais I really know are my in-laws, but I love them, they are really great people. I like their sense of humour.

What else? :o

I joined Thaivisa to learn about Thailand, because my wife is Thai and would like to live in her homeland once again. However, since joining I have learned only the bad things. What the police don't do, why farangs are 2nd class to Thais, and how many ways myself and my children could be raped, robbed and killed.

Fine, thank you for the warnings. Now, please tell me the good things. I mean anything little or big thing. What are some of your favorite things about this land and it's people? Where are some of the best places to go, and I mean for you personally? You got a happy story, an uplifting story, a meaningful story I don't care. I just want to see what makes life in Thailand good.

Thank you for your time. :D

It's something about the air... The atmosphere of being able to wake up in the morning and just stroll down to the river banks and watch the flow glide by as I sip and enjoy my morning cup of Nescafe (which I'd avoided like the plague prior to LOS). Or to then wander out on to the River Kwae Road, strolling aimlessy, and waving here, shaking hands there, wai-ing to the old barber men, greeting friends all along the road. To be able to eat excellent quality food in a fancy restaurant, or at a sidewalk stall and revel equally in either. To hang out in the local pub, quietly enjoying the blues, beer and bullshit with ex/pat mates, then to wander back past my favorite restaurant, by this time closed, but with the thai staff, partners and various friends enjoying an afterparty and joining in with them.

To be able to hop on a bike in shorts and a t-shirt and pop over to Erawan waterfalls or srinakin dam, or do a wintour 1.75 around to the C-Off viewpoint...

Oh such joys of life.

To be able to report your motorbike damaged on a mountain road in the middle of nowhere, and yet it will be collected and repaired before I've got homeshoweredchangedclothes for less than 80 baht!

I could go on, but so much to post, and so little time.

I will return to this thread.

a happy ex-LOS-er

PS: Please be careful with the pronounciation of the above word.

:o

Thank you for your time. :D

It's something about the air... The atmosphere of being able to wake up in the morning and just stroll down to the river banks and watch the flow glide by as I sip and enjoy my morning cup of Nescafe (which I'd avoided like the plague prior to LOS). Or to then wander out on to the River Kwae Road, strolling aimlessy, and waving here, shaking hands there, wai-ing to the old barber men, greeting friends all along the road. To be able to eat excellent quality food in a fancy restaurant, or at a sidewalk stall and revel equally in either. To hang out in the local pub, quietly enjoying the blues, beer and bullshit with ex/pat mates, then to wander back past my favorite restaurant, by this time closed, but with the thai staff, partners and various friends enjoying an afterparty and joining in with them.

To be able to hop on a bike in shorts and a t-shirt and pop over to Erawan waterfalls or srinakin dam, or do a wintour 1.75 around to the C-Off viewpoint...

Oh such joys of life.

To be able to report your motorbike damaged on a mountain road in the middle of nowhere, and yet it will be collected and repaired before I've got homeshoweredchangedclothes for less than 80 baht!

I could go on, but so much to post, and so little time.

I will return to this thread.

a happy ex-LOS-er

PS: Please be careful with the pronounciation of the above word.

Thank you Kayo, that sounds like a happy life. :D

Hi thaibebop,

As promised I'm here to tell you what I can to make the place seem not so scary. I have lived here nearly 4 years now (in Bangkok) and think this is the greatest city on earth (watch me go down in flames for that statement).

In the time I have been here I have never had ANY type of trouble with the police and have found everyone that I've had any dealings with to be most helpfull. I am married to a wonderful Thai lady and we are expecting our first child together in just 2 days (I have 3 other children in Aus).

The food here is fantastic and so, so cheap for the quality you receive. I have some great Thai friends here as well who would give you the shirt off their back to help you out if you needed it.

I love the friendliness of the people I come into contact with and I have a wonderfull family on my wifes side. None of them are drug addicts, theives or rapists either just great, caring people.

I love the fact that they don't see me as some sort of money tree just another human being.

I love the smells, the sights, the having a few quiet ones (or not so quiet ones) with my friends, the heat and generally just the feeling of coming home and belonging when I've been away working.

I love to holiday in Pattaya although I don't want to live there (no offence to the people that do it's just my personal choice) and sitting on the beach, having a beer and just watching the ocean.

Being able to go out and get a fatastic meal at ridiculous times of the night and shopping in great shopping centres and local markets.

I personally have found that if you are curteous and treat people as you want to be treated you will have an extremely enjoyable time if you eventually move here. When you come over next (as long as I'm not away working) drop me a line and we'll try and have a beer and I'll fill you in on some more great stuff in this country as I'm starting to take up a bit of room here.

Hope that has helped give you a bit of a different outlook on Thailand mate. It's nowhere near as bad as it sounds, just a great place :D

I think the brushes(brooms if your american) are great, you know the ones made out of bits of tree and stuff. The small soft ones are really good for hard floors inside and the big hard ones are great for outside. Much better and cheaper than all the synthetic stuff you get back home.

Oh the weather, food, people, cost of living, beaches, nightlife, pace of life all that stuff are ok as well....but the brushes are world class :o

Why Thailand is good for me:-

1) The care and consideration Thai people show to you, when you live and work with them.

2) The fresh food. All the food has either being killed or picked recently. Unlike, the goods found in the UK which have probably been frozen for months.

3) Getting on to some of the smaller islands where you are unlikely to see more than 10 to 20 people in a week. This is how to relax.

4) The unpredicatability of life. The surprises Thailand throws up make life that little bit more interesting. Rules and routine are best left in the boring western world.

5) Getting into the countryside during the rainy season. Beautiful views, dramatic weather and friendly people.

6) The positive attitude towards life that most Thai people have.

There's many more reasons and i agree with all the posts so far. Try it and see.

Good things about Thailand ? Number 1 has to be My TGF !

Man if you seen her you would agree, fit as a butchers dog !! Nearly 3 years together now and she seems to get more attractive by the day !

....2nd, 250 baht for replica football shirts !

....3rd, living in Thailand with no intention of ever leaving, and im only 33 !

....4th, hearing someone in there 50's (who also lives in Thailand) say "The biggest mistake I made was not coming to Thailand when I was 30" .... Priceless !!! :o

I like the fact that I can drive like a madman and fit right in....

In all seriousness, the best thing about Thailand is the people. I love the smiles that are returned to me wherever I am -- on my morning run, at The Mall, riding my bike in some small community. I'm always amazed at the acts of common kindness that I experience all the time.

I like the fact that I can live a comfortable life here on a relatively small retirement income.

I like the look of the place. The flowers, the gardens, the spirit houses, the interesting and not so interesting architecture, the ever-changing appearance of agricultural areas. I like hanging a fresh garland in my car instead of a cardboard pine tree. I like the fact that I can buy kuaytieaw, fresh flowers, roti, watermelons, and a zillion other things from vendors who pass by the front of my house every day. I like the fact that I can fill a garden with orchids, lily and lotus for next to nothing and have almost instant beauty right out my front door.

I like walking to my local mini-mart every evening to buy my daily quota of Chang and ice cream for my GF and her daughter. I enjoy drinking that Chang on the front porch while I look out over the garden and listen to the sound of our tiny fountain.

So many things to like. So many things that would be hard to experience elsewhere.

I waited a long time for this and I'm very glad to be here.

Hi thaibebop,

As promised I'm here to tell you what I can to make the place seem not so scary. I have lived here nearly 4 years now (in Bangkok) and think this is the greatest city on earth (watch me go down in flames for that statement).

In the time I have been here I have never had ANY type of trouble with the police and have found everyone that I've had any dealings with to be most helpfull. I am married to a wonderful Thai lady and we are expecting our first child together in just 2 days (I have 3 other children in Aus).

The food here is fantastic and so, so cheap for the quality you receive. I have some great Thai friends here as well who would give you the shirt off their back to help you out if you needed it.

I love the friendliness of the people I come into contact with and I have a wonderfull family on my wifes side. None of them are drug addicts, theives or rapists either just great, caring people.

I love the fact that they don't see me as some sort of money tree just another human being.

I love the smells, the sights, the having a few quiet ones (or not so quiet ones) with my friends, the heat and generally just the feeling of coming home and belonging when I've been away working.

I love to holiday in Pattaya although I don't want to live there (no offence to the people that do it's just my personal choice) and sitting on the beach, having a beer and just watching the ocean.

Being able to go out and get a fatastic meal at ridiculous times of the night and shopping in great shopping centres and local markets.

I personally have found that if you are curteous and treat people as you want to be treated you will have an extremely enjoyable time if you eventually move here. When you come over next (as long as I'm not away working) drop me a line and we'll try and have a beer and I'll fill you in on some more great stuff in this country as I'm starting to take up a bit of room here.

Hope that has helped give you a bit of a different outlook on Thailand mate. It's nowhere near as bad as it sounds, just a great place :D

Thank you Jimmy. I needed to hear westerners tell me the good things. I know it can be different for us but different doesn't mean bad. I hope to visit soon and get a look for myself. My wife wants us to at some point have a Thai wedding and get our daughter into a temple. So, I just might take you up on that beer some day.

I saw pictures of Bangkok through my sister-in-law's wedding and was really impressed. I am sure there are dirty places but what I saw was beautiful. A city that looked really fun. I was alway curious at my wife's laid back attitude, it didn't fit for me in my head, how could someone come from such a large place and be so laid back. In the US all of us are high and on the edge. This was one of the things that really made me want to see Bangkok. A city full of stuff to do and people who aren't so up-tight about stuff, sign me up.

So, once again thank you all for sharing with me why you love Thailand. It makes me feel better. :D

One of my favorite pictures of Thailand. I could sit in a place like that all day.

Edited by thaibebop

In all seriousness, the best thing about Thailand is the people. I love the smiles that are returned to me wherever I am -- on my morning run, at The Mall, riding my bike in some small community. I'm always amazed at the acts of common kindness that I experience all the time.

I like the fact that I can live a comfortable life here on a relatively small retirement income.

I like the look of the place. The flowers, the gardens, the spirit houses, the interesting and not so interesting architecture, the ever-changing appearance of agricultural areas. I like hanging a fresh garland in my car instead of a cardboard pine tree. I like the fact that I can buy kuaytieaw, fresh flowers, roti, watermelons, and a zillion other things from vendors who pass by the front of my house every day. I like the fact that I can fill a garden with orchids, lily and lotus for next to nothing and have almost instant beauty right out my front door.

I like walking to my local mini-mart every evening to buy my daily quota of Chang and ice cream for my GF and her daughter. I enjoy drinking that Chang on the front porch while I look out over the garden and listen to the sound of our tiny fountain.

So many things to like. So many things that would be hard to experience elsewhere.

Wow, another example of a happy life in Thailand. Thanks for sharing Buadhai. :o

Taxin, I am 27 and hope to be there in 4 to 5 yrs, will that work? :D

Wow, another example of a happy life in Thailand. Thanks for sharing Buadhai. :o

4 - 5 years !! Why wait till then ? Stop dreaming & get over here now I say ! :D

I have done the Thai wedding (the whole Buddist deal) and it was a great experience and I wish you all the best with your future plans.

I have found this to be a very laid back lifestyle as well and the best part is mate you won't have any trouble finding somewhere just like your photo to sit and just enjoy.

Well i've lived in that really dangerous and nasty place called Pattaya (you may have heard of it) for nearly 4 years now and i love it. :D

ALL of the sights are available here, ok you might have to drive for 20 mins for the real quiet countryside but its great here.

Muggings, murders, rip offs etc etc happen every week but then again it happens everywhere in Thailand.

I am not 1% afraid to live here and i've never had the slightest of problems.

I'm 32 and married BTW. :o

Wow, another example of a happy life in Thailand. Thanks for sharing Buadhai. :D

4 - 5 years !! Why wait till then ? Stop dreaming & get over here now I say ! :D

I wanna get an english masters and/or history masters before I leave the US. Just in case I need a job. I like the idea of teaching. I really don't know what else I could do for money there.

I have done the Thai wedding (the whole Buddist deal) and it was a great experience and I wish you all the best with your future plans.

I have found this to be a very laid back lifestyle as well and the best part is mate you won't have any trouble finding somewhere just like your photo to sit and just enjoy.

I really want to find places like that. It may sound kind of lame but I really want to write fiction. I have had ideas for years and always wanted to live somewhere that would inspire as well as help me focus. I would like to think Bangkok might be able to help me. From the way my wife speaks of it (she gets a little watered up, she hasn't been home in a while) it sound like the coolest place.

Well i've lived in that really dangerous and nasty place called Pattaya (you may have heard of it) for nearly 4 years now and i love it. :D

ALL of the sights are available here, ok you might have to drive for 20 mins for the real quiet countryside but its great here.

Muggings, murders, rip offs etc etc happen every week but then again it happens everywhere in Thailand.

I'm 32 and married BTW. :D

So, if someone comes to visit do they come in armed or just move really fast down the street? :o

So, if someone comes to visit do they come in armed or just move really fast down the street? :o

:D

I feel safer here than in the UK (and bangkok) :D

:D

I feel safer here than in the UK (and bangkok) :D

It's simple streetsmarts isn't? I know it works here in the US. When to talk, walk, or run, all streetsmarts. :D

I'm 25 and unmarried. I like the 24-hour access to food. I love the women. To the 27 year old, stop pusing your dreams so far in the future. I have been here for over a year and don't plan on leaving. I also like the transportation. Never needed a vehicle.

Nah that's not lame at all mate and here you can pretty much do anything you want to (within reason of course) and I can certainly understand the wife missing the place and wanting to come back home.

I'm also with taxin on the get over here now part but I can understand your wanting to set yourself up beforehand. I wish I had of discovered Thailand years ago but better late than never.

I've lived in Pattaya for two years now. Love it. Wake up early every day, even when it rains its beautiful. The people? You don't even need to speek. You can communicate just by smiles. This is the land of smiles.

Barry

Is that you in the pic. That looks like a happy group of people. That is a big concern for me, risiing a family in Thailand. I sometimes wonder how my kids will be viewed. :o

The only GOOD thing about Thailand is CHEAP (from the point of view of foreigner). In fact, the country is not up to standard in many ways. Even after years, people in Bangkok still can't get a decent TV reception. They have to pay UBC if they want free-to-air TV in good picture !!

click the link for details !!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30096