Anyone Use True Move Internet Wi-Fi Router?

gonzobrains

You might consider buying your own; they can be had for 1,500 (D-Link DSL-2640BT) - 2,000 (Linksys WAG120N).

TRUE might give you a Zyxel or N-Link unit.

Here are some threads to read:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Do not install the TRUE Hi-Speed Navigator software on your PC.

If you do get a unit from TRUE make sure you have the latest firmware.

I had True router installed recently - nlink brand. I pay THB599 per month for 4 mpbs. It works fine, but it took me an age to install, and eventually I had their technician out, as there are two within my LAN, and my desktop needed a USB adaptor, which wasn't behaving properly. (I'm not the most computer savvy, so you will probably find it a breeze.)

Edited by samtam

I have been using it for the past 6 months with the Zyxel router. Has only 2 port for LAN in addition to the wireless LAN.

No problem with the setup with the help of the call center at 1686 with english assistance.

No problem with the Zyxel and not necessary to install the navigator. Just plug in the router and enter 192.168.1.1 for setup.

Call 1686 to guide you through. It's a breeze. However if you need more than 2 LAN ports, then you can buy one at the IT mall.

The box they showed me has True brand. It doesn't indicate a manufacturer. It's going for 799 baht, so I just want to know if it is worth it. Other wi-fi routers in shops cost more.

I think you'll find it's probably the n-link one, which is some OEM or rebranded product from True. It only has b/g support and apart from some security configuration issues during installation with Mac wifi has been working OK for me.

If you go to a shop you might be able to choose what you get, whereas sometimes I think it's simply down to whatever they have in stock.

You could opt for a higher subscription and they should throw it in as a (borrowed) freebie plus truewifi hotspot access across BKK (which frankly is more useful than I suspected at first).

Call them and ask. It might work out more or less the same in the end (or a few hundred more costly).

When I signed up for my 16Mb True package I got a free N-Link True Online branded Wi-Fi router - silver in colour.

Personally, I think it's rubbish and I would advise you to avoid - it's 799 THB for a reason! Seeing as it's free with some contracts or included as part of the deal is great. They couldn't exactly hand out top of the range routers for every contract applicant could they!?

I 100% agree with lomatopo, get yourself a LinkSys router if you can. Not overly exspensive and can easily be ordered online from Thanni or Jedicool and delivered via EMS for a total of around 2,000 THB.

That's exactly what I did and I've had uninterrupted service.

On a related topic does anyone else think that the software you have to install with True's internet connection at startup is a farce? Such a shame a fantastic and progressive ISP has such a terrible interface for easy-of-use/point-and-click users. It's a resource hog and IMO not very user friendly at all. It also corrupted some data on my HDD when I uninstalled it.

If you can familiarise yourself with getting into your router and editing settings that way - do so. It'll save you lots of headaches.

N.B. LinkSys are a sister company of Cisco Systems, probably the best router manufacturers in the business.

Edited by ManInSurat

When I signed up for my 16Mb True package I got a free N-Link True Online branded Wi-Fi router - silver in colour.

Personally, I think it's rubbish and I would advise you to avoid - it's 799 THB for a reason! Seeing as it's free with some contracts or included as part of the deal is great. They couldn't exactly hand out top of the range routers for every contract applicant could they!?

I 100% agree with lomatopo, get yourself a LinkSys router if you can. Not overly exspensive and can easily be ordered online from Thanni or Jedicool and delivered via EMS for a total of around 2,000 THB.

On a related topic does anyone else think that the software you have to install with True's internet connection at startup is a farce? Such a shame a fantastic and progressive ISP has such a terrible interface for easy-of-use/point-and-click users. It's a resource hog and IMO not very user friendly at all. It also corrupted some data on my HDD when I uninstalled it.

If you can familiarise yourself with getting into your router and editing settings that way - do so. It'll save you lots of headaches.

N.B. LinkSys are a sister company of Cisco Systems, probably the best router manufacturers in the business.

I think that's well intended info, but overkill for most. I think if the OP is getting a package that does not incl. a free router (ie. the cheapest), he's unlikely to splash out 2000THB on a supposedly better router. Those 2000THB might be better spent on getting a contract with a few more mbps. Or getting 3 months free internet, depending how you look at it.

The n-link router should do just fine. Like I said, it won't cut it if you need n speeds. Get it for free!

There's no need to install any True software AFAIK. You can do the install from a browser.

I think the point is not the price, the point is that you should be in charge of your router... The one from true is most likely installed with some features that you don't need...

But if the price is right you can get it and use it as a spar. You need a spare router anyway?

Martin

Edited by siamect

I think that's well intended info, but overkill for most. I think if the OP is getting a package that does not incl. a free router (ie. the cheapest), he's unlikely to splash out 2000THB on a supposedly better router. Those 2000THB might be better spent on getting a contract with a few more mbps. Or getting 3 months free internet, depending how you look at it.

The n-link router should do just fine. Like I said, it won't cut it if you need n speeds. Get it for free!

There's no need to install any True software AFAIK. You can do the install from a browser.

You're quite right schmutzie, and that post was written with a bad taste in my mouth from some awful routers I have had the misfortune to have. Overkill? Yes probably!

I don't know of the OP's internet needs and if you're a casual user then I would completely agree that this N-Link router should suffice. All statements made in my post were just my opinion, which like bumholes - everyone has!

As I said from my personal experience I prefer the level of service I receive using my new router than with the old, as a user who is online 10+ hours a day.

Also as siamect says, I also like fact that I can have the level of control over the router that I need and there isn't any unecessary bundled software. It is a trueonline branded N-link router, which I really don't like the look of! Personal preferences again.

I hope you end up choosing the best option available to you OP. Best of luck!

P.S. Thanks for sharing the info about the browser/True setup compatibility, which I know this back when I did it! I just edit router settings myself, wherever I can - but the True technician was with me at the time and they like to do things their way.

Edited by ManInSurat

I have an Asus WL-520GU at my disposal. If it is better, i would us it or maybe just buy another one. I am getting 6 GB internet because that is all they will allow in my location. It comes with a standard router but they offered the 799 wi-fi router as an additional box to connect to it.

That's actually pretty decent gonzo, I'd give that one a try first. It has a 54Mbps upper limit, which will be fine for you and as it's ASUS you'll have loads of places you can go to get it fixed if it ever breaks or you can just switch over to the N-link in an emergency - if you do decide to get it.

I also like the fact that that router has a built-in printer server which a nice little addition.

I'd choose that over the N-link for sure. I would personally say you don't need to fork out for a new one.

Maybe think about updating the firmware of the ASUS when you do get to try it.

There's a really interesting Google written guide about changing the firmware on that router HERE

Obviously I take no responsibility of anything that happens as a result of you changing your firmware! It's a pretty straight forward process though.

Hope it works out for you mate. :jap:

Edited by ManInSurat

I'd choose that over the N-link for sure. I would personally say you don't need to fork out for a new one.

I agree if your requirements are average. The N-Link unit has just one (1) ethernet port. There are many, many complaints on Thai forums about this unit, not the least of which is performance during heavy utilization (e.g.: torrents). I have seen this first-hand in one installation so we swapped in a Linksys WAG120G, which resulted in marked improvement and 4 ethernet ports.

So yes, if money is tight or your internet usage is average (browsing, email) then this very low-cost N-Link unit will probably be OK. Otherwise buy your own router. The 4-port Zyxel unit (from TRUE) would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

The box they showed me has True brand. It doesn't indicate a manufacturer. It's going for 799 baht, so I just want to know if it is worth it. Other wi-fi routers in shops cost more.

I think you'll find it's probably the n-link one, which is some OEM or rebranded product from True. It only has b/g support and apart from some security configuration issues during installation with Mac wifi has been working OK for me.

If you go to a shop you might be able to choose what you get, whereas sometimes I think it's simply down to whatever they have in stock.

You could opt for a higher subscription and they should throw it in as a (borrowed) freebie plus truewifi hotspot access across BKK (which frankly is more useful than I suspected at first).

Call them and ask. It might work out more or less the same in the end (or a few hundred more costly).

What problems did you have with security and your Mac?

I agree if your requirements are average. The N-Link unit has just one (1) ethernet port. There are many, many complaints on Thai forums about this unit, not the least of which is performance during heavy utilization (e.g.: torrents). I have seen this first-hand in one installation so we swapped in a Linksys WAG120G, which resulted in marked improvement and 4 ethernet ports.

So yes, if money is tight or your internet usage is average (browsing, email) then this very low-cost N-Link unit will probably be OK. Otherwise buy your own router. The 4-port Zyxel unit (from TRUE) would be fine.

After two weeks of waiting for nothing they ended up giving me this N-Link router. I didn't pay for it but that doesn't mean they won't bill me for it later! I'm not sure why they gave me this one because I wanted the multi-port non-wifi router because I already have a wifi router.

When my PC is connected to the cabled connection it totally rocks. I get 6 megs download. But when I try to use the wireless connection I get about 2 megs. And what really bugs me is the annoying truemove landing page that comes up the first time a new computer tries to connect to the web. The tech support said it's built into the firmware and they don't have a fix for it. I think it's preventing my Nintendo Wii from connecting.

gb

Chances are you will get Zyxel or Billion, it will do the job.

I was only given a True router (no wireless) when I joined, got a wireless router myself and linked them together to wifi my connection.

ianwuk

Edited by ianwuk

You might consider buying your own; they can be had for 1,500 (D-Link DSL-2640BT) - 2,000 (Linksys WAG120N).

TRUE might give you a Zyxel or N-Link unit.

Here are some threads to read:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Do not install the TRUE Hi-Speed Navigator software on your PC.

If you do get a unit from TRUE make sure you have the latest firmware.

Thanks for the reply. At first they gave me an N-Link unit. The Nintendo Wii could not connect with it even with security off. They swtiched me to a Zyxel 1-port. The Wii can connect, but now my mobile phone can only connect if I set it up with a static IP. Lame.

What really sucks is this landing page issue. And the fact that port forwarding doesn't work. They said I could download the latest "true customer" firmware from Zyxel's site, but I'm afraid to do that because they don't offer the original one as a backup in case something goes wrong. I don't want to try a non true brand firmware in case it is not compatible. The landing page thing is annoying and interferes with some of my devices/software.

Maybe I should just go get my own.

gb

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: So I emailed customer service at ZyXEL. They said there is a new v1.2 firmware for the ZyXEL 1port wifi router that is available. This has an option to disable the landing page. Unfortunately, you can't flash your existing v1 router with it. You have to exchange it for a new router. When I went to True's office to do this, they had no clue what I was talking about. We walked over to the ZyXEL office to ask them about it. They had to call up corporate, and after a long phone conversation they basically told me they were not giving me a new router and that I would have to buy one somewhere myself.