Tattooing By Monks

Kais

Many Wats in Thailand have a monk that might give you a tattoo if they feel you should have one. You cannot chose the tattoo but the monk will doo a "reading" of you and decide what you should have. It will normally indicate the Wat you are at with its own meaning yet it will also be personal for you in some way. If you do not have a Thai friend with you or if you cannot speak Thai....forget it. You MUST understand the meaning of it and also know WHY you want it.

These tattoos are done the old fasion way "hammer and piece of wood with dark in only".

It's amazing how fast they do them. You might end up with an entire back piece if you want and if the monk takes a liking to you.

When you get to Pattaya just have your Thai friends ask what Wat does this (unless you speak Thai). He might not even do it the same day but might chose a good day for it. He might also just say "no".

Know what you are getting and be prepared to respect it the rest of your life.

You cannot just be some farang that wants a free tatto from a monk as a "COOL" thing The tats are FREE. Best you donate something to the Wat after though. If you don't know abouit buying items or Buddha statues for wats then ask a Thai friend.

Good luck.

PS. If you dont know about Buddhism or etiquette in a Wat, I suggest you learn first how to act and basics of visiting a Wat first.

Edited by thailandbluegrass

Many Wats in Thailand have a monk that might give you a tattoo if they feel you should have one. You cannot chose the tattoo but the monk will doo a "reading" of you and decide what you should have. It will normally indicate the Wat you are at with its own meaning yet it will also be personal for you in some way. If you do not have a Thai friend with you or if you cannot speak Thai....forget it. You MUST understand the meaning of it and also know WHY you want it.

These tattoos are done the old fasion way "hammer and piece of wood with dark in only".

It's amazing how fast they do them. You might end up with an entire back piece if you want and if the monk takes a liking to you.

When you get to Pattaya just have your Thai friends ask what Wat does this (unless you speak Thai). He might not even do it the same day but might chose a good day for it. He might also just say "no".

Know what you are getting and be prepared to respect it the rest of your life.

You cannot just be some farang that wants a free tatto from a monk as a "COOL" thing The tats are FREE. Best you donate something to the Wat after though. If you don't know abouit buying items or Buddha statues for wats then ask a Thai friend.

Good luck.

PS. If you dont know about Buddhism or etiquette in a Wat, I suggest you learn first how to act and basics of visiting a Wat first.

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway between Pattaya and Bangkok is Chon Buri. North of Chon Buri is a small town called Phan Thong. A few kilometres into the countryside is a temple called Wat Nong Or.

A couple of K from this Temple, down a load of dirt tracks, there’s an old house on stilts surrounded by paddy-fields where two Adjarns practice Sak Yant tattooing. Both these Adjarns wear animal skin type robes and ornate face masks, and before commencing, they place themselves into a type of self induced ‘trance’ by believing they have taken on the spirit of Por Gai – a Theravada Buddhist spirit known as “Old Man”.

If you go by bus from Pattaya, go from Sukumvit on the bus towards Bangkok and ask to get off at Chalum Thai (about an hour). Then ring this taxi 081 86 44719 he knows where to go. Or, get to Phan Thong and ring this taxi 08 9808 2618 he also knows where to go (he took me recently). Either taxi need to wait for you to take you back. I got there at midday and several Thais were waiting – just join the queue. Prepare to wait a few hours. Food and drink there OK. Donation 100Baht in an envelope (see the lady). Also donate fruit, drink, cigarettes (this spirit smokes!) on a platter at the foot of the Shrine inside.

Definitely take a Thai with you (perhaps take a nice bar-girl that already has a Sak Yant and wants another).

This activity is of significant spiritual or religious significance. So be prepared to make a triple protestation to both the shrine inside, and to the Adjarn himself. If you don’t know how to do this but want to find out, ask someone to show you. If, for personal reasons you don’t wish to perform this action, then maybe go to a tattoo shop in Pattaya instead, because there is a possibility the Adjarn might take offence that you do not respect or follow the teachings of the Buddha…

Good luck, purchase your offerings in advance, and don’t go without a Thai – you’ll get lost.

Halfway between Pattaya and Bangkok is Chon Buri. North of Chon Buri is a small town called Phan Thong. A few kilometres into the countryside is a temple called Wat Nong Or.

A couple of K from this Temple, down a load of dirt tracks, there's an old house on stilts surrounded by paddy-fields where two Adjarns practice Sak Yant tattooing. Both these Adjarns wear animal skin type robes and ornate face masks, and before commencing, they place themselves into a type of self induced 'trance' by believing they have taken on the spirit of Por Gai – a Theravada Buddhist spirit known as "Old Man".

If you go by bus from Pattaya, go from Sukumvit on the bus towards Bangkok and ask to get off at Chalum Thai (about an hour). Then ring this taxi 081 86 44719 he knows where to go. Or, get to Phan Thong and ring this taxi 08 9808 2618 he also knows where to go (he took me recently). Either taxi need to wait for you to take you back. I got there at midday and several Thais were waiting – just join the queue. Prepare to wait a few hours. Food and drink there OK. Donation 100Baht in an envelope (see the lady). Also donate fruit, drink, cigarettes (this spirit smokes!) on a platter at the foot of the Shrine inside.

Definitely take a Thai with you (perhaps take a nice bar-girl that already has a Sak Yant and wants another).

This activity is of significant spiritual or religious significance. So be prepared to make a triple protestation to both the shrine inside, and to the Adjarn himself. If you don't know how to do this but want to find out, ask someone to show you. If, for personal reasons you don't wish to perform this action, then maybe go to a tattoo shop in Pattaya instead, because there is a possibility the Adjarn might take offence that you do not respect or follow the teachings of the Buddha…

Good luck, purchase your offerings in advance, and don't go without a Thai – you'll get lost.

Man, this is one cooooooooool thread. I look forward to learning more about Thai Buddhist-oriented tattoos; fascinating. Personally, I have one of those, "error of youth" tattoos. Since moving here 5 years ago, I've been contemplating having something done over the existing one (something meaningful... if I decide to do anything at all). So, thanks a lot.

A couple of K from this Temple, down a load of dirt tracks, there's an old house on stilts surrounded by paddy-fields where two Adjarns practice Sak Yant tattooing. Both these Adjarns wear animal skin type robes and ornate face masks, and before commencing, they place themselves into a type of self induced 'trance' by believing they have taken on the spirit of Por Gai – a Theravada Buddhist spirit known as "Old Man".

This activity is of significant spiritual or religious significance. So be prepared to make a triple protestation to both the shrine inside, and to the Adjarn himself. If you don't know how to do this but want to find out, ask someone to show you. If, for personal reasons you don't wish to perform this action, then maybe go to a tattoo shop in Pattaya instead, because there is a possibility the Adjarn might take offence that you do not respect or follow the teachings of the Buddha…

Good luck, purchase your offerings in advance, and don't go without a Thai – you'll get lost.

Man, this is one cooooooooool thread. I look forward to learning more about Thai Buddhist-oriented tattoos; fascinating. Personally, I have one of those, "error of youth" tattoos. Since moving here 5 years ago, I've been contemplating having something done over the existing one (something meaningful... if I decide to do anything at all). So, thanks a lot.