Soi Buakow

flyingfox

It's a terrific Soi. I think it has a little village feel about it. The girls at the Pook Bar are delightful and always very hospitable when I turn up in the early hours of pre-dawn, half-cut and pinch a few bottoms. However I've noticed recently that as I ride pass on my motorbike in any afternoon, one or two of the girls now scowl at me. One of them usually shakes her fist too. I think she likes me.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not exactly catering to the new high quality tourists we keep hearing about.

For many its the last chance saloon, next stop Cambodia.

No need to comment on it being a dirty narrow soi with too much traffic and nowhere to park.

Certainly has the cheapest beer in Pattaya, served in some hole in the wall beer bars by maidens well past their sell by date.

The balloon chasers can be spotted carrying their Big C bags with plastic tupperware inside as the search for their evening meal,

usually pitching up in some bar they have never set foot in before, spotted straight away by regulars, about the same time as they order a soda water

or sprite, next descend on the free buffet and head for the toilet to fill up their plastic boxes to keep them going for the next 3 days.

Watched 2 of them being told to get their hands in their pockets and put some money on the garland of the cashier whose birthday it was, they were politely told red was the wrong colour, try purple.

The same ones who sit and nurse their Chang all night long bitching about how in the good old days 3 large bottles of Chang were only 100 baht,

constantly dripping on about exchange rates and how the government shafted them on their frozen pensions, real stimulating conversations.

All in all a cheap charlies hangout, the thought of a night out in Jamesons would horrify them, or leave them skint for a week.

Well, nothing wrong with a bit of low cost fun.

I found some bars off some side soi that offer 35 baht chang beer. Can't beat the value in that. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Like the soi hate the kind of expat/sexpat tourists it attracts. The worse of British can be found there, jonny come lately, sun reading idiots who know everything about Thailand without going anywhere other than Pattaya.

WOW! What an incredibly sweeping statement.

Would you like some more tar for your brush?

I personally like it. As stated many times it’s cheap and cheerful but more than that for me it is the location. Its central and everywhere can be reached easily and quickly especially with as previously mentioned the frequent Songtaew service.

Jim

Ps. btw Andy its worst not worse even a "sun reading

idiot" would know that as they know everything apparently

:P

Edited by JimmyChoons

Take away the whores and the punters, and what would you have?

One of the ugliest places on earth...

Hard to argue with the above statement! perfect example of what you end up with when there is no town planning and plenty of corruption, knock it down and start again :blink:

I live here, I work, inherited nowt :annoyed:

It's a terrific Soi. I think it has a little village feel about it. The girls at the Pook Bar are delightful and always very hospitable when I turn up in the early hours of pre-dawn, half-cut and pinch a few bottoms. However I've noticed recently that as I ride pass on my motorbike in any afternoon, one or two of the girls now scowl at me. One of them usually shakes her fist too. I think she likes me.

Did you say girls :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the food in Robins Nest at least you can see them cooking in there, also there is a cafe type place a few doors up done out Mediterranean style, food is very very good in there but i cant remember the name of the place, anyone? Also love the Marquee bar by the entrance to new plaza good music, cheap beer and pleasant atmosphere, i think soi buakow is OK, beats the insanity of walking street.

Like the soi hate the kind of expat/sexpat tourists it attracts. The worse of British can be found there, jonny come lately, sun reading idiots who know everything about Thailand without going anywhere other than Pattaya.

I personally like it. As stated many times it’s cheap and cheerful but more than that for me it is the location. Its central and everywhere can be reached easily and quickly especially with as previously mentioned the frequent Songtaew service.

Jim

I thought JimmyChoons summed it up pretty well, particularly in relation to the Soi Honey/Soi Chiayapoon area. The southern end's ok though.

I used to like it but there is too much traffic and with no pavements its extremely dangerous ... saw a drunken idiot on a motorbike drive into some old Thai man a few months back, fortunately he survived, unfortunately the motor-biker was unscathed.

Think im going to avoid the place in the future.

PS As for the comments that its full of hooligan Brits, imho most down there are retirees who've worked all their lives.

When we are in Patts , (been visiting 25 years ) like the Soi for food (last time we ate at 18 Coins Restaraunt regularly) also second hand Bookstores for the wife.

The lack of sidewalks is my only b***h , but , hel_l , it's Pattaya after all.

:lol:

It's "it's" not "its" isn't it?

I personally like it. As stated many times it's cheap and cheerful but more than that for me it is the location. Its central and everywhere can be reached easily and quickly especially with as previously mentioned the frequent Songtaew service.

Jim

Mookow and the surrounding area is the best place in Patts.

Unbeleivable value for rooms, a massive selection of restaurants, sensibly priced bars, and a friendly vibe.

Those who think they are superior because they pay much more for the same, or less, in the up-market (Ha ha ha) parts of Patts are regarded as just as stupid here as they are in their home countries.

Great area with some lovely bars, restaurants, and business(s). :clap2:

That would be 'es'.

Perhaps you can help me with the restaurants. Went down there and didn't see many places where I would think of sitting down to eat. Perhaps two. Both Thai restaurants. One was a Marine Seafood(24 hrs) place and the other further towards the Central Road on the right hand side. Perhaps opposite a Family Mart(don't remember).

Can't imagine why anyone would wish to stay there. Unless you like staying in a pokey room with no view. Can't remember seeing much in the way of trees or greenery. I guess because it is relatively cheap. I think it was known as quite a dangerous street for snatch and grab not so long ago.

rgs2001uk's post did make me smile. It's a kind of ghetto for working girls and a certain kind of tourist/expat.

That would be 'es'.

Perhaps you can help me with the restaurants. Went down there and didn't see many places where I would think of sitting down to eat. Perhaps two. Both Thai restaurants. One was a Marine Seafood(24 hrs) place and the other further towards the Central Road on the right hand side. Perhaps opposite a Family Mart(don't remember).

Can't imagine why anyone would wish to stay there. Unless you like staying in a pokey room with no view. Can't remember seeing much in the way of trees or greenery. I guess because it is relatively cheap. I think it was known as quite a dangerous street for snatch and grab not so long ago.

rgs2001uk's post did make me smile. It's a kind of ghetto for working girls and a certain kind of tourist/expat.

Re. restaurants; Take a walk along it and open your eyes! Soi Chayapoon also has some great places, and Cherrys is thought to be one of the best places in Patts for excellent food at a price that is, unfortunately, not for those masturbating over their hi-so pretentions.

Re. pokey rooms; How do you consider 50sq meter, beautifully decorated rooms with 42" TVs, DVDs, sub-woofer systems, 4 seater sofas and great bathhrooms, pokey? Must be exceedingly fat not to find that much space adequate. Most Mookow rooms piss on Patt hotel cubicles, have better facilities and service, and clock in, like for like, at around half the price or less. That dig shows ignorance, and staying elsewhere, stupidity.

Re. greenery; Apart from on the main roads, there is none of it anywhere in Patts. Please show me a soi that has? If you can it will be an exception.

Re. the ghetto. That is what all of Pattaya is, or haven't you noticed.. Again, open your eyes, then use your sense of perception and reality may come to you.

I would suggest you get to know the area before you have a go.

As for meself; I have more than adequate funds to stay, drink, and have fun where I choose. I would need a lobotomy before my common sense allowed me to hang out elsewhere when in town..

That would be 'es'.

Re. restaurants; Take a walk along it and open your eyes! Soi Chayapoon also has some great places, and Cherrys is thought to be one of the best places in Patts for excellent food at a price that is, unfortunately, not for those masturbating over their hi-so pretentions.

Re. pokey rooms; How do you consider 50sq meter, beautifully decorated rooms with 42" TVs, DVDs, sub-woofer systems, 4 seater sofas and great bathhrooms, pokey? Must be exceedingly fat not to find that much space adequate. Most Mookow rooms piss on Patt hotel cubicles, have better facilities and service, and clock in, like for like, at around half the price or less. That dig shows ignorance, and staying elsewhere, stupidity.

Re. greenery; Apart from on the main roads, there is none of it anywhere in Patts. Please show me a soi that has? If you can it will be an exception.

Re. the ghetto. That is what all of Pattaya is, or haven't you noticed.. Again, open your eyes, then use your sense of perception and reality may come to you.

As for meself; I have more than adequate funds to stay, drink, and have fun where I choose. I would need a lobotomy before my common sense allowed me to hang out elsewhere when in town..

Is Cherry's on Soi Bua Khao?? I don't think that it is.

Where are the rooms that you describe? That white elephant the LK Royal? Even if those are the rooms you do describe, they are the exception, are they not?

As to greenery, the place were I stayed has not only greenery, but proximity to the sea. Believe it or not, some people visit the area to be close to the sea. Not to be stuck in a low rent ghetto.

It seems that you doth protest too much. Perhaps it is you that should open to eyes to find the parts of the area that aren't quite so downmarket.

Please where are the names of these great places? Include them in your post, so that other can avail themselves.

Just like places like Magaluf will have it's supporters, so will Soi Bua Khao.

Some people like cheap, rough and ready. Can't imagine what would possess someone to stay there out of choice.

I think it use to be a place for the Thai workers to stay, but then the people on lower budgets moved back there. So the places cater for them. That's why there aren't any gourmet restaurants on the street.

I did go there to get my motorcycle washed. Was recommended by a local.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

That would be 'es'.

Perhaps he has a couple of potted planted in his window up the concrete jungle of Bangkok.These type make me want to puke,listening to the garbage they spout out.

That would be 'es'.

Perhaps he has a couple of potted planted in his window up the concrete jungle of Bangkok.These type make me want to puke,listening to the garbage they spout out.

A few words of advice. If you are trying to convince others that Soi Bua Khao is not the choice for just the kind of people who have been described earlier, you are going the wrong way about it.

It's clear that everyone who has posted has either visited Bua Khao and or stayed in the Pattaya area.

Of course, if you were one of the characters being described, you wouldn't have a clue as it would all be normal to you.

Believe it or not, people who prefer not to stay in that area may well be able to defend themselves. Don't get too puffed up.

Rather puffed-up ( there is a hyphen but being so superior I thought you'd know that) than condescending when not in a position to be such.

Pray, tell us all where you frequent in Patts that is sooooo much better.

If you cannot, please stay at home and watch your Hyacinth Bucket videos.

Middle calss pretence is best left in the West.

Rather puffed-up ( there is a hyphen but being so superior I thought you'd know that) than condescending when not in a position to be such.

Pray, tell us all where you frequent in Patts that is sooooo much better.

If you cannot, please stay at home and watch your Hyacinth Bucket videos.

Middle calss pretence is best left in the West.

Oh dear... The hyphen is not necessary. It can be written with or without the hyphen. If you think the case to be otherwise, perhaps you can explain why you think this to be the case. The meaning is the same with or without the hyphen. For instance; can the phrase 'puffed-up' be distinguished from 'puffed up'? The meaning is exactly the same and therefore a hyphen is not necessary.

But now let's take a look at your writings......your lack of punctuation, together with poor grammar and spelling mistakes.

On what basis can you ascertain that I am not in the position to be condescending? I think you may find that many countries in Asia have a middle class.

You think that you can bully me into revealing my much nicer place? Why would I do so? I want to keep people like you away from me. It's good that you stay in Bua Khao.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

The balloon was puffed up.

He was puffed-up.

V different.

Love it, though. You have just shown who and what you are by your post.

Glad yoo want cum 2 moocow coz it's fool of god conversashun and yooo got nuffink 2 say.

Not only do you want Patts to be anything but what it is, you also fink somewhere, hidden away, that only u n yer gang know, is some class.

Deluded.

Soi Buakow... I avoid that area like the plague! The Soi is far too small for all the traffic. Motorcycles racing about like Kamikaze pilots. It's difficult to even cross the Soi on foot. The intersecting Soi's aren't much better. Soi Dianna - extremely narrow and there's always some crazy farang blocking it with their SUV's whey they approach each other with no one giving way (it should be a one way Soi). Soi Chayapoon - with pot holes so large that they span the entire Soi. Not to mention the bar girls sitting at tables that go out to almost the middle of the Soi. The intersection of Soi Buakow, Soi Dianna, and Soi Lenke has to be the most dangerous intersection in all of Pattaya! I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I have almost been hit! :o

The only thing good about it is the large market near Pattaya Thai. But again, it far too crowded with extremely narrow aisles.

Soi Buakow... I avoid that area like the plague! The Soi is far too small for all the traffic. Motorcycles racing about like Kamikaze pilots. It's difficult to even cross the Soi on foot. The intersecting Soi's aren't much better. Soi Dianna - extremely narrow and there's always some crazy farang blocking it with their SUV's whey they approach each other with no one giving way (it should be a one way Soi). Soi Chayapoon - with pot holes so large that they span the entire Soi. Not to mention the bar girls sitting at tables that go out to almost the middle of the Soi. The intersection of Soi Buakow, Soi Dianna, and Soi Lenke has to be the most dangerous intersection in all of Pattaya! I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I have almost been hit! :o

The only thing good about it is the large market near Pattaya Thai. But again, it far too crowded with extremely narrow aisles.

Something amiss here? :blink:

I always have a fun time at Pook Bar...some of the girls there are really hot :whistling:

I like it, but as the OP says, badly needs pavements.

I always think that I'm lucky to get away from and back to my windowless hovel just off the street without being maimed by one of those sidecars that fly down the road.

oooh another cybertough guy....yawnnnnnnnnnnnn

I personally like it. As stated many times it's cheap and cheerful but more than that for me it is the location. Its central and everywhere can be reached easily and quickly especially with as previously mentioned the frequent Songtaew service.

Jim

WILL I GET BANNED IF I SAY ANOTHER NOBHEAD POSTER,Andy come join some of these guys you disrespect and tell them to their faces,i know what i would do if you dissed me face to face