Hotel Suggestions For Flower Festival

tonititan

I'm looking at hotels for the weekend of the flower festival in February. On a lot of websites, you can search by location...Night Bazaar, City Center, Old City, Riverside, Fang, Mae Jo, Nawarat....the list goes on and on. I'd like to narrow down my search a little before I start researching specific hotels. Do any of you who live in CM have any suggestions for the best general geographic location for a few people coming up specifically for the flower festival? It would be nice to be close to the parade & flower displays, or at least somewhere accessible.

Alternatively, if you think that it's not a good idea to stay close to the festival location because of noise, crowds, etc., I would appreciate hearing your perspective as well. Thank you!

I don't know of any hotel where you can sit in your room and watch the parade outside the window. Nor are there many restaurants where you can do that. Sure, you can get to Art Cafe at Thapae Gate early and get a window table, but you're on ground level and the viewers on the sidewalk will block your view. We found the Starbuck's at Thapae Gate to be a pretty good location for viewing. The parade takes a turn at Thapae Gate and stops often for groups to do performances. You can go to the 2nd or 3rd floor windows of Starbuck's and even step out on their balcony (if you're brave) to get photos. The only problem is a big honking Air Asia sign just to the east of the Starbuck's at the 2nd floor level. Surprisingly, there are few people trying to see the parade at Starbuck's and we've stayed all morning for the parade buying nothing more than a cup of coffee.

As for hotels, the Montri at Thapae Gate is handy and a good value. I'll leave it to others to recommend hotels near the Chiang Mai Gate.

I don't know of any hotel where you can sit in your room and watch the parade outside the window. Nor are there many restaurants where you can do that. Sure, you can get to Art Cafe at Thapae Gate early and get a window table, but you're on ground level and the viewers on the sidewalk will block your view. We found the Starbuck's at Thapae Gate to be a pretty good location for viewing. The parade takes a turn at Thapae Gate and stops often for groups to do performances. You can go to the 2nd or 3rd floor windows of Starbuck's and even step out on their balcony (if you're brave) to get photos. The only problem is a big honking Air Asia sign just to the east of the Starbuck's at the 2nd floor level. Surprisingly, there are few people trying to see the parade at Starbuck's and we've stayed all morning for the parade buying nothing more than a cup of coffee.

As for hotels, the Montri at Thapae Gate is handy and a good value. I'll leave it to others to recommend hotels near the Chiang Mai Gate.

I'll have a bottle of water and two cups please.

Thank you.

the aggi fair at maejo is not flower festivaland parade but an agricultural and flower show.both are good but the op wants to know about the flower festival in february. i would say stay somewhere off tapae or moon muang but really it doesnt make much difference as the parade goes from the river down tapae to the park at the nw side of the moat. easy to get to from most places. the floats are displayed after the parade at the park and there is a flower show at the park. hotel location doesnt make a big difference but anywhere night bazaar, tapae or old city is easier than out of town.

post-47242-049469700 1283975313_thumb.jp

post-47242-043432700 1283974461_thumb.jp

Edited by november222
  • Like 1

Get a room at The Montri, walk over to Darets for a good cheap breakfast and hang around that end of Thapae Road. It's best to get out and if you have a camera the parade stops often so you can get lots of good shots. You can then follow the parade to its final resting place, where it stops and you can take loads more pictures of the beautiful ladyboys that sat on the floats, that you thought were girls. :)

Great, thanks to everyone for all the advice! I have been to Chiang Mai before, but I don't remember much of anything.

You can then follow the parade to its final resting place, where it stops and you can take loads more pictures of the beautiful ladyboys that sat on the floats, that you thought were girls. :)

Looking forward to it! Although, I have to say, I think my ladyboy radar is pretty good....I'm up for the challenge! :D

the parade goes from the river down tapae to the park at the nw side of the moat. easy to get to from most places. the floats are displayed after the parade at the park and there is a flower show at the park. hotel location doesnt make a big difference but anywhere night bazaar, tapae or old city is easier than out of town.

I agree that the hotel location isn't all that important. Just get something within walking distance of Thapae Gate and the park, which actually is in the SW corner of the old city, so something near Chiang Mai gate would be good.

Think about the need for "bio breaks" when selecting your viewing location. The parade is long, long, long -- over three hours. Now we live very close to Thapae Rd, so I think we'll just set up on the sidewalk and I'll dash back home when nature calls. That will save the cost of the over-priced coffee at Starbuck's, but the view won't be as good.

And oh, this parade is definitely good. It could get a bit tiresome year after year, but it's a real experience if you've never seen it before.

I agree that the hotel location isn't all that important. Just get something within walking distance of Thapae Gate and the park, which actually is in the SW corner of the old city, so something near Chiang Mai gate would be good.

Think about the need for "bio breaks" when selecting your viewing location. The parade is long, long, long -- over three hours. Now we live very close to Thapae Rd, so I think we'll just set up on the sidewalk and I'll dash back home when nature calls. That will save the cost of the over-priced coffee at Starbuck's, but the view won't be as good.

And oh, this parade is definitely good. It could get a bit tiresome year after year, but it's a real experience if you've never seen it before.

last time you sat in the air-con and at starbucks to see the long long long parade buying nothing but one coffee and this year your going to set up on the sidewalk to save the cost of an over-priced coffee! how much is an over-priced coffe at starbucks? not everyone is poor you know.

what is 'bio-break', muesli or something like that, and why is it so important .

you say your going to have to dash home when 'nature calls' - what's that the budgie squaking cos he wants feeding?.

one problem of being on the sidewalk which you didnt mention is what to do if you need to take a piss.

Edited by november222

last time you sat in the air-con and at starbucks to see the long long long parade buying nothing but one coffee and this year your going to set up on the sidewalk to save the cost of an over-priced coffee! how much is an over-priced coffe at starbucks? not everyone is poor you know.

what is 'bio-break', muesli or something like that, and why is it so important .

you say your going to have to dash home when 'nature calls' - what's that the budgie squaking cos he wants feeding?.

one problem of being on the sidewalk which you didnt mention is what to do if you need to take a piss.

Hilarious. Dude, she already said what she would she would do if she needed to pee....she'll run home. "Nature calls" = the urge to use the toilet. And a "bio break" means the same thing....a biology break, for a natural function. Get it now?

If I lived in the area, I would probably do the same thing (set up lawn chairs). Way more relaxing to me. You can spread out, claim "your" space, bring a cooler, etc. I'd prefer to do that then crowd into Starbucks with a bunch of other people, but unfortunately I can't because I'm not from CM, don't know where to go, and don't have lawn chairs.

Can we take it that you and Nancy are not close?

ive never met him! poor, greek and gay?

Urban dictionary

'Bio break - Neo-geek terminology for visiting the bathroom'

What is your problem? First of all, I don't know why you think "he" is gay. I am assuming by the name Nancy that this person is a she, but even if I'm wrong, there's no reason to think that Nancy is gay. And even if he/she IS gay, you're obviously saying it in a derragatory manner, which is completely rude and uncalled for.

And you think he's Greek? Is that supposed to be an insult too? Oh wait....maybe you just can't type and you meant to say "geek." :D

ive never met him! poor, greek and gay?

Urban dictionary

'Bio break - Neo-geek terminology for visiting the bathroom'

What is your problem? First of all, I don't know why you think "he" is gay. I am assuming by the name Nancy that this person is a she, but even if I'm wrong, there's no reason to think that Nancy is gay. And even if he/she IS gay, you're obviously saying it in a derragatory manner, which is completely rude and uncalled for.

And you think he's Greek? Is that supposed to be an insult too? Oh wait....maybe you just can't type and you meant to say "geek." :D

its all in urban dictionary

"Nancy Boy - an effeminate man; what gay men were called back in the days when gay meant happy."

nothing wrong with being gay . just saying i don't know a poor, gay geek (correction)

nothing wrong with being poor as well, before you start ..

geeks i can live without though, so youve got me there

Edited by november222