Koh Chang - Ankor Wat - Pattaya

allyfu

Hi, looking for some advice,

What's the cost and timescale of visiting Ankor Wat when we (myself and 2 friends) leave Koh Chang. Are the tourist packages safe, and worth the money, or are we better hiring a driver?

The plan is Samet - Chang - Ankor Wat - Pattaya - BKK in a trip lasting just short of 3 weeks, so we'd rather miss Ankor Wat out of the equation if it's going to add 2/3 days travel time for the sake of one day sightseeing.

Cheers

Ally

If you really prefer seeing a downmarket beach resort to seeing one of the real wonders of the world then skip Angkor Wat and spend time in Pattaya.

First, Instead of Samet - Chang - Ankor Wat - Pattaya - BKK, do the more logical route and go Pattaya - Samet -Chang - Ankor Wat - BKK

You can get tickets for the shared minibus to Siem Reap when you are on Koh Chang for under 1000 Baht, leave KC in the morning and get to SR in the evening. Expect to experience some scams enroute as that is how the cheap minibus services make their money, but if you get your visas in advance and know what to except then you'll be fine. ( Read www.talesofasia.com for scam info.)

Spend 2-3 days at least in Siem Reap. There's a lot to see and it's all impressive.

If you really prefer seeing a downmarket beach resort to seeing one of the real wonders of the world then skip Angkor Wat and spend time in Pattaya.

First, Instead of Samet - Chang - Ankor Wat - Pattaya - BKK, do the more logical route and go Pattaya - Samet -Chang - Ankor Wat - BKK

You can get tickets for the shared minibus to Siem Reap when you are on Koh Chang for under 1000 Baht, leave KC in the morning and get to SR in the evening. Expect to experience some scams enroute as that is how the cheap minibus services make their money, but if you get your visas in advance and know what to except then you'll be fine. ( Read www.talesofasia.com for scam info.)

Spend 2-3 days at least in Siem Reap. There's a lot to see and it's all impressive.

Full agreement there. Scams are avoidable, particularly if you're just travelling from one place to another and determine that you're not going to get involved in any "shopping" along the way.

And the direction is reasonable - rather than crossing paths, begin at Patters (if you must) and then Samet-Chang-Angkor Wat-BKK.

And do plan on no less than three days at Angkor Wat. One day is only whetting the appetite for this amazing site. Less than three days and you'll regret it. You've got three weeks, so one or two days less on the beaches of Samet or Chang are easily expendable.

Edited by JusMe

Cheers folks.

TBH I'm really not fussed about Pattaya at all. Went there 4 years ago and left after one night - not really my sort of scene. I'd only suggested it because Siem Reap - BKK seemed like a horribly long journey, and I have access to free accommodation if I stopped off in Pattaya.

What scams are usual on the minibus? Is it just the typical 'stop off at my brothers jewellery store' type cons?