Clothes In Xl, Ll... How Depressing!

I agree on Penang. If you have the chance go there for shopping. The shoes are great!!!! leather at super low prices. Friends used to swear by singapore shopping but once they try Malaysia they realize you can get the same great stuff at a lot lower prices. They have super cheap airfare from Bangkok too.

I find shopping for kids here in Thailand to be terrible. I don't know how many of you have kids as I see a lot of 20ish ages mentioned. I find it very difficult to get quality kids clothes other then the department stores like Central and Robinson. Toys very very limited. Toys-r-Us is always a definate when out of Thailand.

Someone else made this comment, but I was in the US last year bought a ton of kids clothes on clearance at Old Navy and the like only to see on the tags later "Made in Thailand" :o

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey girls,

before coming to Bangkok I thought of this city as shopper's paradise. Having moved here now, I am happy about every t-shirt, skirts etc. I have brought with me from Europe...

Where do you girls buy clothes???? I am tired of asking for 'big size', trying all the XLs and LLs and still nothing fits me. Back home I am in the middle range, usually buying a 40 or 42.

I have found a skirt and a t-shirt here, but both were imported and quite expensive. I don't want to pay 2000 Baht+ for every ordinary t-shirt I buy. Is there any place where a 'normal' western woman can go for non-expensive, nice things? Or is that an oximoron??

Try Pratunam milliners market opposite the Indra regent hotel .plenty of choice the for the chubbier person male or female they will even make blouses and dresses while you wait all at super prices,nignoy

The person writing this is just as bad as Alex, assuming we are all chubby!! :o

We just want a place to buy clothes that aren't outrageously expensive and clothes that fit; doesn't mean we are all chubby. Why are we all being generalized? You ASSUME too much Ms/Mr Nignoy! sheeesh!!!

Beachbunny

Was not meant to be a slur or a comment about your obvious complex about your size,you are obviously to lazy or to stupid to ask directions , there are plenty of shops and stalls who sell good quality millinery for under 800baht in bangkok, :D nignoy

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! name calling, not nice or polite.

You must not be a native english speaker because being called "chubby" when in fact you are not does not give one a warm fuzzy feeling.

As for me, I sew, and can make any clothing I need, but don't always feel like it. Maybe you can recommend these places because you shop there or someone in your family does. I assume at this point you are female.

When you start getting toward a 1000 baht for a piece of clothing, I think it's a little high. Maybe you want to spend that much for each piece, but I think I can do better.

Beachbunny

Think Tailor would be an option. Normally high quality clothing for less than what you would pay in the west. I agree that large clothes which would be normal in the west are hard to get in Thailand - sizes arent the same and I haven't seen a consistency with market clothes.

Tescos perhaps?

Edited by britmaveric

Agreed, name calling is not nice. Nignoy, you sound like another one who needs to climb off their high horse.

As for Pratunam, did you miss my previous post that most of the clothes there are quite small? I have shopped there before and find them all small. I can wear the sizes here but since I am well-endowed :o the clothes just don't fit right.

Agreed, name calling is not nice. Nignoy, you sound like another one who needs to climb off their high horse.

As for Pratunam, did you miss my previous post that most of the clothes there are quite small? I have shopped there before and find them all small. I can wear the sizes here but since I am well-endowed  :o  the clothes just don't fit right.

I guess we all have our fitting problems. Wish I had your's SBK :D Unfortunately I'm almost as flatchested as most (I said most, not all) thai women were 25 years ago. One of the biggest problems I find is that the crotch length is too short, even though I am quite long waisted. Always have trouble with the waist being too big too, if I can find something that comes to my waist. :D

Beachbunny

I also can wear the clothes here but I constantly have the problem of the armholes being so high and small. Also as was mentioned the waist is way to big in proportion to the hips for me, like too straight of a cut. I watch for sales at Central, I have also had good luck with Pena House, and jaspal, not cheap but sales an be great.

Hey girls,

before coming to Bangkok I thought of this city as shopper's paradise. Having moved here now, I am happy about every t-shirt, skirts etc. I have brought with me from Europe...

Where do you girls buy clothes???? I am tired of asking for 'big size', trying all the XLs and LLs and still nothing fits me. Back home I am in the middle range, usually buying a 40 or 42.

I have found a skirt and a t-shirt here, but both were imported and quite expensive. I don't want to pay 2000 Baht+ for every ordinary t-shirt I buy. Is there any place where a 'normal' western woman can go for non-expensive, nice things? Or is that an oximoron??

Try Pratunam milliners market opposite the Indra regent hotel .plenty of choice the for the chubbier person male or female they will even make blouses and dresses while you wait all at super prices,nignoy

The person writing this is just as bad as Alex, assuming we are all chubby!! :o

We just want a place to buy clothes that aren't outrageously expensive and clothes that fit; doesn't mean we are all chubby. Why are we all being generalized? You ASSUME too much Ms/Mr Nignoy! sheeesh!!!

Beachbunny

Was not meant to be a slur or a comment about your obvious complex about your size,you are obviously to lazy or to stupid to ask directions , there are plenty of shops and stalls who sell good quality millinery for under 800baht in bangkok, :D nignoy

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! name calling, not nice or polite.

You must not be a native english speaker because being called "chubby" when in fact you are not does not give one a warm fuzzy feeling.

As for me, I sew, and can make any clothing I need, but don't always feel like it. Maybe you can recommend these places because you shop there or someone in your family does. I assume at this point you are female.

When you start getting toward a 1000 baht for a piece of clothing, I think it's a little high. Maybe you want to spend that much for each piece, but I think I can do better.

Beachbunny

Wrong!! I am a 62 year old male, my wife who is 60 now , has been travelling to thailand purely for shopping purposes for over 20 years , my wife sews professionally,so she always buys quality, she is disabled so I am always with her, we have even found a milliner in Chiangmai , my wife sends her dress patternsand cloth samples from here in australia ,she makes up the garments to order and even with airmail they still work out a lot cheaper than dresses and blouses of the same standard in Brisbane, Have you found Pratunam yet???Nignoy

Nignoy wrote:

Wrong!! I am a 62 year old male

Wow! could have fooled me.

Did you read SBK's comments about Pratunam----twice???

You wife may pay less than what she can buy it for in AU but we live here NOT there.

Beachbunny

As for Pratunam, did you miss my previous post that most of the clothes there are quite small? I have shopped there before and find them all small. I can wear the sizes here but since I am well-endowed  :o  the clothes just don't fit right.

you obviously only looked at the stalls on the street ,what about all the milliners and tailors stalls, inside who do made to measure garments there are literally hundreds of them in the area, just thought Iwas being helpful , but should have known better, Try Marks and Spencers they usually cater for the WELL ENDOWED or visit our affiliated website for sewing tips :D nignoy and mrs !!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not only the sizes that annoy me but the comment I get from Thai women saying I'm fat. I'm a size 12 and I don't think for a second it is fat. I just wish Thai women would keep opinions to themselves sometimes.

I was once in a restraunt with a friend and the Thai woman offered me the diet menu I felt so upset and embarrased. I've never been called fat until now.

It's not only that but I don't like the styles of the clothing over here. I myself love Topshop style clothing but I don't find any here just really girly kiddish young girls stuff. I've noticed teens over here act a lot more immature than the teens like me back home in England :o

Hard advice to follow but try not to take it personally, it isn't meant in a mean or malicious manner just insensitive. It's taken me years to laugh it off but it hit me with a flash this year when I lost about 2 kilos when I went back to the US to visit my family and everybody commented on how thin I was and how much weight I had lost yada yada yada. Last year when I went home and gained a whole kilo everybody told me how much weight I had gained blah blah blah. I realized that everything is exaggerated, probably just to make conversation. There doesn't seem to be a word or term that is used to mean gaining or losing weight, it seems just fat and thin are used exclusively, irregardless of how apropos the comment is.

Well, maybe in Bangkok everyone is teeny weeny but down here many of the women are the same size as me (I wear a medium at home, an XL here, go figure) or larger. I am hardly large even by Thai standards. One of our staff is short (under 5'!) but buxom. She has a heck of a time finding clothes. Here, at least, the older women wear sarongs. ugh. I buy my clothes at home, they are a better quality, last longer and fit better.

I think the idea that all Thai women are small is a fallacy, at least here in the South where the women (and men) tend to be bigger. My sister-in-law is taller than my husband (she wears muu-muus, double ugh).

The reason why women in the southern provinces are fatter is because of the malay ancestry. Malays are generally a lot fatter than their northern Thai cousins who have the typical sim petite build.

Go for the jugular beach bunny!

I agree totally. I am just as small if not smaller than many Thai women here... but, it's the shape. We have hips and shoulders and things! Also, it's not the size that counts. I find it difficult to find clothes here at a reasonable price that don't make me look like a farang woman in disguise as a Thai lady!

And when I do have clothes "tailor-made"... I look like BAG LADY  :o  when in actual fact I have a great figure. Difficult!

What makes me laugh is that some of you hate it when people say that all western women are fat but whenever a thai woman's physique is mentioned some of you women get downright catty. Implying that Thai women have no hips or shoulders and "things" betrays your true feelings on the issue. Honestly i've seen more Thai women with figures than the shapeless obese masses back in the states. I can make an apt comparison because I am back in California right now fresh from Thailand.

Oh and before I get flamed, I don't blame western women for their physiques because it's mostly genetics and a western diet filled with butter, oil, and fat. Not to mention the lack of exercise or daily commuter lifestyle that causes most of the population to resemble hippos out on the lake. There needs to be a reality check though, if lots of people say you are fat then chances are you are fat. Words like "plus sized" "big and beautiful" are just code words for obesity. You can either choose to be happy with being fat or work to slim down. I have no problems with another person's decision but some of you really do come across as having a major chip on your shoulder.

Edited by bossman

Bossman - Western women and Thai women are both beautiful. And as for western women being "fat" they obviously will be a little bigger when compared to thais. But I wouldn't say fat, just bigger. And no it isn't a way to hide obesity. Obesity may be on the increase but if you opened your eyes you'd see that most women are not obese.

The reason I'd say bigger is because with the thais being shorter and the western women being taller it dosen't take a rocket scientist to see that western women have bigger builds therefore making us appear bigger to thai women.

But now you mentioned the physique factor I will say everyone has their own prefrence. The reason some of us will say the thais have no hips etc. Is not out of pure cattyness but a prefrence in their hometowns. I know alot of males that like a peach shaped bottom and bigger breasts.

But I like the way you generalise all western women as "shapeless obese masses". It isn't true. Not all women are obese.

Personally I feel for a lot of thais because some of them are based in the prostitution business at such an early age, and it is vital to appear sexy, and appealing to the westerners eye. I've seen girls refuse to eat because of fear of becoming fat. Maybe just maybe you are subject of this being "fresh from Thailand"?

I'm not saying every male is just some males by the way.

It's not only the sizes that annoy me but the comment I get from Thai women saying I'm fat. I'm a size 12 and I don't think for a second it is fat. I just wish Thai women would keep opinions to themselves sometimes.

I was once in a restraunt with a friend and the Thai woman offered me the diet menu I felt so upset and embarrased. I've never been called fat until now.

It's not only that but I don't like the styles of the clothing over here. I myself love Topshop style clothing but I don't find any here just really girly kiddish young girls stuff. I've noticed teens over here act a lot more immature than the teens like me back home in England  :D

Ice Maiden - Hmmm Pom Pooie? No worries Thai(s) dont mean it in a bad way. Basically say you are cute like a chubby baby. :D That being said thai ladies eat like horses and dont think any different - constantly eat - perhaps 10 times a day. Not huge meals but small meals. I'm a big strapping lad, and I think my lady eats more than me. :o

I posted a question on a different thread that I think I should have posted here.

I am male and quite big. My wife (Thai) tells me that when we live in Thailand I will have to use the services of a tailor, because stores won't have my fit.

Do you think this is true, for men? Can good tailors be found cheap?

I saw that somepeople had found clothes stores that sold western sizes, do they for men?

Thanks everyone.

My husband is about 5'8", weighs about 175 lbs (he's mostly muscle, bit of a pompuey tummy tho :o) and he ends up buying XL everything. You will have a hard time, best bet is a tailor or believe it or not, the beach resorts have the board shorts and t-shirts for farang sizes (if you can get away wearing that sort of thing). The big dept stores will have your sizes but it will be a search, I think.

My husband is about 5'8", weighs about 175 lbs (he's mostly muscle, bit of a pompuey tummy tho :o) and he ends up buying XL everything. You will have a hard time, best bet is a tailor or believe it or not, the beach resorts have the board shorts and t-shirts for farang sizes (if you can get away wearing that sort of thing). The big dept stores will have your sizes but it will be a search, I think.

I guess I'll just stock pile some clothes. I can't believe useing a tailor could be cheap, but my wife says that you can find them.

Thanks.

I know that some Thai fathers take their teenage sons to prostitutes (some wealthy students I taught, in fact.) Not all, but just be aware of that fact.

5quid for tailor made silk dress shirts. Pretty inexpensive if you ask me.

Edited by britmaveric

• 2 weeks later...

I have great dressmaker live near me, she makes my hubbie anything he wants, and it all fits perfectly.

very cheap, can supply your own cloth, anything

she makes me silk clothes, 250 baht for beautiful dress, but she makes me wash it properly first so she can sew it correctly.

so farang women can find a small (I mean not big business size!!) dressmaker who is clever, they can have very cheap and good clothes.

It's not only that but I don't like the styles of the clothing over here. I myself love Topshop style clothing but I don't find any here just really girly kiddish young girls stuff. I've noticed teens over here act a lot more immature than the teens like me back home in England   :D

Ice Maiden - Hmmm Pom Pooie? No worries Thai(s) dont mean it in a bad way. Basically say you are cute like a chubby baby. :D That being said thai ladies eat like horses and dont think any different - constantly eat - perhaps 10 times a day. Not huge meals but small meals. I'm a big strapping lad, and I think my lady eats more than me. :D

Interesting topic! Thai ladies eventually succumb to bad diet and lack of exercise just like any other female (I think :D )

I'm a farang female, about size Small (western size) and all the Thai ladies I know ask me what my "diet" is? They show me their pompooie belly and point at mine (pompooie free) and call me "sexy, skinny" :o

Maybe 10 small meals a day could be cut back to about 3-4 with limited fatty food: fruit, salad, fish, etc.

I lost weight rapidly after I stopped drinking coffee and too much alcohol; increased more raw foods in my diet and started running on the beach and swimming.

Simple recipe really but not easily accessible for everyone with a "frantic lifestyle".

What makes me laugh is that some of you hate it when people say that all western women are fat but whenever a thai woman's physique is mentioned some of you women get downright catty. Implying that Thai women have no hips or shoulders and "things" betrays your true feelings on the issue. Honestly i've seen more Thai women with figures than the shapeless obese masses back in the states. I can make an apt comparison because I am back in California right now fresh from Thailand.

We do not 'get catty' about Thai Women's figures at all. We do, however, point out the differences,when we get insults from people like you,when we are discussing a reasonable topic on a ladies forum.

Often the reason the clothing in Thailand does not fit us is not because we are 'fat' but because we are a different shape. If you think we are 'implying' that Thai women have no 'things' because we do have breasts and that that is 'catty', then you are being overly defensive.

We don't deny you your right to have a preference, but why do you have to denigrate and insult women of your own race to justify your choice.

Well, some people have difficulty behaving like gentlemen, even in the Ladies Forum.

And if he had read all the posts he would have noted that some of us pointed out that there are plenty of Thai women with hips, breasts and bums and how on earth can they find clothes that fit.

But then, it is much easier to fit things to the way one wants to think than to what is fact.