Alternative To Voa

klons

Over at channel 7, I checked out the crime section briefly. 3 of the 4 stories I went through had the verbatim transcript below the video. The 4th was fairly close.

One of the verbatim ones was about a 64 year old Canadian, apparently drunk, drove on the sidewalk in Pattaya killing 2 and sending 12 to hospital.

Channel 7 site:

http://www.ch7.com/index.aspx

This is a solid gold resource find. I spent hours trying to find a news source with transliteration attached. Well done. I know from past experience (with learning Japanese) that this will massively improve my Thai level over the next 6 months,

Well done. :jap: :jap: :jap:

Now if we only get them to talk a bit slower. :blink:

Two points on this:

1.) I often find it harder if they do not speak at regular speed. I think Thai uses sound clusters (just like English) so if you hear "I am going to the station" iin English at regular speed and at 'learners' speed' it will literally not be the same sounds produced. The sentance at regular speed, for dramatic effect, I will transliterate like this: "Aimugo'n'erstay-shun".

2.) If they spoke slower in the newscasts I would be really annoyed since then I couldn't use it to learn Thai.

Something I like about the upcoming Thai-Japanese language proficiency exam (in November) is that the listening exam doesn't mess about. You have to be able to hear at full speed, remember the extreme details in the dialogue and work out intent of the characters. Magic.

Download audacity and you can slow it down yourself.

You can slow them down, I do, but only when I have trouble picking up on some words.

And after that I revert back to normal speed. By recording the audio with a sound editor

like Audacity you can then manipulate the speed on whatever part of the audio you select

or select the whole thing. For example, I was following up on the moneytruck

robbery, (second part). In the first part of the first line of the story I couldn’t pick up on

ได้เรียก . To me it sounded like the english word “area” . After slowing it down I was able

to pick it up. What threw me off was instead of hearing ได้ pronounced as dai it was more like dae.

The line:

วันนี้พนักงานสอบสวน สน.ประเวศ ได้เรียก

I’m attaching the slow and normal versions of the clips to the short phrase above. To my ear, if I reduce speed by 25% and increase pitch by 25% it sounds normal, only slower. What do you think? Can you notice any difference?

moneytruckclipnormal.mp3

moneytruckclipslow.mp3

Download audacity and you can slow it down yourself.

You can slow them down, I do, but only when I have trouble picking up on some words.

And after that I revert back to normal speed. By recording the audio with a sound editor

like Audacity you can then manipulate the speed on whatever part of the audio you select

or select the whole thing. For example, I was following up on the moneytruck

robbery, (second part). In the first part of the first line of the story I couldn't pick up on

ได้เรียก . To me it sounded like the english word "area" . After slowing it down I was able

to pick it up. What threw me off was instead of hearing ได้ pronounced as dai it was more like dae.

The line:

วันนี้พนักงานสอบสวน สน.ประเวศ ได้เรียก

I'm attaching the slow and normal versions of the clips to the short phrase above. To my ear, if I reduce speed by 25% and increase pitch by 25% it sounds normal, only slower. What do you think? Can you notice any difference?

moneytruckclipnormal.mp3

moneytruckclipslow.mp3

The pitch sounds the same, as it should given the 25% speed reduction and the compensating 25% pitch increase :)

great idea, thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

The MCOT site also has videos with transcripts. The audio video quality is better than channel 7, but there are fewer and they are harder to find.

This link should go to the story on the Iranian drug smuggler nabbed at the airport (for an example).

The entertainment and variety tabs also have some videos with transcript.

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/112427.html