Currency Exchange Buying Some Us Dollars

lanky

That's quite interesting ..?? Just over a week ago I was trying to get some Canadian $$$ for my daughter who was leaving for Canada and had to go to 6 banks before I could find one that had the currency and only wanted 300 $$ ... Ok, Canadian currency not available I can understand BUT USD not available ...? And such a small amount ... ummmm .../?? Very weird

Could be the exchange rate for USD is going higher and they are holding USD.

How would they know that in advance?

USD is trending up, it's not rocket science.

The US $ is trending down, and has been doing so for over a year. Why would they want to hold onto a depreciating asset?

Could be the exchange rate for USD is going higher and they are holding USD.

How would they know that in advance?

USD is trending up, it's not rocket science.

The US $ is trending down, and has been doing so for over a year. Why would they want to hold onto a depreciating asset?

It is buying a lot less Euro's than this time last year, but has been up since 9th of june, this may be a new long term trend.

Edited by garyh

As they are Thai banks, I would think they would be more interested in the $/THB rate than the $/EUR cross. "may" is the key word in you sentence above. Predicting currency rate trends is close to rocket science IMHO.

If this ain't a downtrend, I don't know what is.

1y.png

go to a decent sized full service type bank in the morning. I have had good success at Bangkok bank at KSK Central.

The little currency exchange window places like near the night market and Loh Kroh road don't sell foreign currencies. They just want to buy them.

If you wait until afternoon then it seems harder to find the smaller USD denominations.

Sounds like the OP is just going to the wrong banks.

My wifes sister works in a bank in Chiang Mai and tells me that it is now the policy of all banks in the City not to keep foreign currency 'in stock'. Seems the only time they have any to sell now is when it comes in over the counter on any given day. Other than that you have to order it; pay a fee and pick it up some days later.

Why all the bullshit. The OP wants some US$'s.

SK Money Changer on the river side of Charoen Prathet Road. It's a few metres north of Loi Khroh Road (just around the corner from the steel bridge).

Edit: They have any currency you want if you give them a little notice. US$'s are always there.

Blinky's not taking any prisoners today :D

Why all the bullshit. The OP wants some USs.

SK Money Changer on the river side of Charoen Prathet Road. It's a few metres north of Loi Khroh Road (just around the corner from the steel bridge).

Edit: They have any currency you want if you give them a little notice. USs are always there.

How are their rates compared to what the banks supposedly offer?

Edit: They have any currency you want if you give them a little notice. USs are always there.

Better.

• Like 2

Better.

Yep, better.

Last weekend they still accepted US dollars at immigration at Tachilek. But they probably prefer Thai baht.

Did they actually take it from you, or did you just see the usual sign? They have never accepted any of my "dirty" US bills. Recently. others have said they don't want dollars now.

I was at the Tachikek crossing on Sep 9th. The immigration guys asked for Thai baht. I told them I didn't have any, stonewalled a bit, showed them my wallet (and rather shortsighted lack of baht) and they said, "Ok. Give us dollars".

There were no signs up saying Thai baht was the new requirement. And on the Thai side (before leaving) they still have the notice that indicates I must pay $10 OR 500 baht on the Burmese side. But with the lousy exchange rates these days, what else can the poor military regime do?

Last weekend they still accepted US dollars at immigration at Tachilek. But they probably prefer Thai baht.

Did they actually take it from you, or did you just see the usual sign? They have never accepted any of my "dirty" US bills. Recently. others have said they don't want dollars now.

I had a 50 $ US note and ten 1 dollar notes. They did not want to change the 50 US banknote, so they first asked for Thai baht and when I said I wanted to pay in dollars they accepted the 10 one dollar notes.

Edited by whatsupdoc

I went up on Saturday and paid with a $10 note, he said he wanted 500thb but accepted the $10 straight away without any hassle.

Since they like baht so much I assume they get to exchange these for USD, give the required $10 USD to the government, keep the rest. Pretty significant difference at 30 baht to the USD. Otherwise - why would they care how much money the regime makes. They surely wouldn't....