Bangkok Ready For Imminent Flooding

webfact

BMA readies for imminent flooding

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_24914.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has prepared 4 million sandbags to build flood barriers along the Chao Phya River, to stop the massive inflows of seawater expected between September 9 and 15 from flooding the capital.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra and city executives yesterday inspected the 77kilometre floodbarrier running through Phra Nakhon, Dusit, Bang Phlat and Bangkok Noi districts, of which 75.8km has been completed. The unfinished 1.2km around Ratchawong Pier should be completed later this year, they were told.

The BMA Department of Drainage and Sewerage has built a temporary flood barrier by piling up 2.2metre high sandbags. As part of a move to help the 1,200 families, who have built their homes beyond the flood barrier, the BMA is speeding up the construction of the barriers.

The situation does not appear worrisome, as the levels in Sirikit, Bhumibhol and Pasak dams remain normal and the downpours upstream of these dams should not cause floods in Bangkok, department director Sanya Cheenimit said. However, if the rainfall is heavy downstream from these dams, the water going through the Chao Phya Dam could be as much as 2,6003,000 cubic metres, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-10

Isnt Life Good,all you namby pamby Bkk Office Boys in Wellies,weve saved millions of gallons of dirty water up here,thanks to you hi sos cutting down our Trees.Brace youreself for a good paddle..

Last time I checked the majority of hi-so houses were made from concrete and steel, whilst the houses in the north are regularly made from timber. What was your point again? :unsure:

Ohh thats right, there was no point, just another post of nonesense. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

How many hours does it take for water to flow from the Chao Phraya in Bangkok (where ever in Bangkok) to the sea (high tide point) and does the water authority plan the openings of the dams upstream to be at a time so that the water goes through Bangkok at the same time that low tide effect is in Bangkok?

How many hours does it take for water to flow from the Chao Phraya in Bangkok (where ever in Bangkok) to the sea (high tide point) and does the water authority plan the openings of the dams upstream to be at a time so that the water goes through Bangkok at the same time that low tide effect is in Bangkok?

It's not like flood waters coming down the river stop and start in 12 hours. They are worried about rainfall downstream from the dams, so it has nothing to do with the openings of the dams. The water coming though Bangkok is going to be up for a couple of days (ie several high tides) and they have no control over it, except to put sand bags there.

Isnt Life Good,all you namby pamby Bkk Office Boys in Wellies,weve saved millions of gallons of dirty water up here,thanks to you hi sos cutting down our Trees.Brace youreself for a good paddle..

Last time I checked the majority of hi-so houses were made from concrete and steel, whilst the houses in the north are regularly made from timber. What was your point again? :unsure:

I always thought that it was the lo-so´s that cutted down the trees, because they are wannabee hi-so´s!

I thought this was meant to be a sanitation project, does this mean they are preventing flooding or causing it?

By building dams around a larger part of BKK and even pumping water out you prevent flooding. This tends to cause flooding outside that barrier. People living there may have a foot of water in their living room for a few months. No fun.

LOVE IT

Bangkok office boys in Wellies would be a site to behold.Can you get your hi-so gf to wear too,i love a bit of rubber heheheheheee.

Just be careful out there mamby pamby office boys,the rats are huge in Bangkok,they will be out in force to bite your feet when you paddle thru 2 foot of rain

Would have to agree - Wandrinstar seems to be on cheap drugs !! What IS your point?

No Point, justenjoy a wind up, like Somtampet,were not all full of our own self importace.Were here for Fun.:jap:

Even so you seem a very strange man. I'd seek help if I were you

Strange?. I think people who chose to live in flood plains strange.They have no sence of Humour.

Totally ignoring the millions who live there because they where born there, or have no choice.

Anyway selfish as I am, my part of BKK will remain dry I'm sure ;)

My vote is to take the 43 Billion baht earmarked for expanding swampy and put it towards something to solve the semi-annual drought vs flooding.

Not as glamorous as a sparkling new runway I admit, but potentially useful non-the-less.

If implemented however, we could become the hub of "Infrastructure".

Sandbags?! Shouldn't the government be worrying about constructing a more permanent barrier for the supposed 10 year flood? I've heard the Singaporean, Malaysian, and even Vietnamese governments have already ordered their corps of engineers to start construction on rising water barriers which takes at least 5 years to construct. Typical of Thailand to only think of the 'now' and never about the future.

My vote is to take the 43 Billion baht earmarked for expanding swampy and put it towards something to solve the semi-annual drought vs flooding.

Not as glamorous as a sparkling new runway I admit, but potentially useful non-the-less.

If implemented however, we could become the hub of "Infrastructure".

It appears that my comments bring down the wroth of the Site Prefects,who want only the Serious Here.Never mind there are many light hearted who post here, like You:D