Best Expat Destination In Los

JulieWilliams

I'm hoping that the experienced hands here can point me towards the best place for me to start looking for my planned annual 3 to 6 month stay in Thailand. I know everyone will have their favourite places so please let me know what is good and bad about settling into your neighbourhood for an extended stay.

I've spent a bit of time in Bangkok and it seems quite good but a bit expensive. I've been told that Chiang Mai may be a good location or down Hua Hin way. As you can see I'm not too particular but I'd just as soon stay away from the rampant tourist areas and friendly bars are not essential lol, (though a good hospital is!)

My first suggestion was going to be the departure lounge at Swampy. But now that thw milk of human kindness is flowing through me again, I can suggest Korat and the surrounding townships. Nice quiet life and near the national park of Khao Yai which is beautiful and relaxing if you like walks and waterfalls and wildlife. Also Korat has western type amenities such as "THE MALL" and good hospitals.

Rent an appartment from 3000bht a month or house from not much more.

its 197bht by bus from the capital.

• Like 1

Pattaya, it's got it all.

Nightlife if you want it, great Restaurants, Hotels, Shopping, Koh Larn, Nong Nooch, Rayong and Koh Samet are close as is Koh Chang, transport to Bangkok is cheap, fast and plentiful.

There some nice beaches too in Bang Saray or Long Beach Wong Amat.

It's a bustling, growing thriving City that will never die, its that way because if offers so much, people want to come here. jap.gif

Now, over to the Pattaya bashers..biggrin.gif

• Like 1

I think you're spot on with the idea of Hua Hin or Chiang Mai. Much more laid back than other spots, but still have malls, hospitals, restaurants, bars etc and are in general just really pleasant places

Doesn't Chiang Mai have severe pollution problems ?

Yes, for several weeks, in March or April. Otherwise no worries ! B)

And I'd recommend nearby Cha Am, instead of Hua Hin, which is now rather over-developed. But it's only a matter of personal taste. B)

How about the islands ?

I think you're spot on with the idea of Hua Hin or Chiang Mai. Much more laid back than other spots, but still have malls, hospitals, restaurants, bars etc and are in general just really pleasant places

And Pattaya that you raved on about in an earlier post does not ? Also whilst Chiang Mai might suffer from pollution at certain times of the year it is atmospheric pollution, your chosen idyll however suffers from every known form of pollution in existence, :D

Dont overlook Ubon Scratchafanny,situated on the Moon River, plenty of western amenities, only 2 farrang bars, many western resturaunts, shopping malls. Close to National parks ect. Plenty of nightclubs and very friendly locals and ex pats

And Pattaya that you raved on about in an earlier post does not ? Also whilst Chiang Mai might suffer from pollution at certain times of the year it is atmospheric pollution, your chosen idyll however suffers from every known form of pollution in existence, :D

Pattaya has pollution for sure, but nothing like the extreme air pollution in CM during the smoky season. Anyone with lung diseases should NOT live in CM. Period.

I"m also a fan of Chiang Mai for a 6 month stay. I can live with a month of smoke because it's easy to travel elsewhere at that time. I also love Kanchanaburi.. both the small city and the province. Kanchanaburi is also closer to the ocean that the more northern provinces, if that is a requirement. It's about 5 hours by bus to Hua Hin from Kanchanaburi. Chiang Mai has a very good expat community and you can find English speaking people anywhere. That is more than I can say for rural cities in Thailand.

LOL... wouldn't have it any other way.

Really, Pattaya is OK, I lived just off number 3 road for years, no views, very busy road especially weekends, market days etc, now I've moved to Wong Amat and my viewpoint has changed, literally.

post-93587-026072400 1284186403_thumb.jp

I actually like Pattaya again !! smile.gif

<snip>

I can suggest Korat and the surrounding townships. Nice quiet life and near the national park of Khao Yai which is beautiful and relaxing if you like walks and waterfalls and wildlife. Also Korat has western type amenities such as "THE MALL" and good hospitals.

Seconded.

<snip>

I can suggest Korat and the surrounding townships. Nice quiet life and near the national park of Khao Yai which is beautiful and relaxing if you like walks and waterfalls and wildlife. Also Korat has western type amenities such as "THE MALL" and good hospitals.

Seconded.

Plus only 3.5 hours from Pattaya.

Pattaya, it's got it all.

Nightlife if you want it, great Restaurants, Hotels, Shopping, Koh Larn, Nong Nooch, Rayong and Koh Samet are close as is Koh Chang, transport to Bangkok is cheap, fast and plentiful.

There some nice beaches too in Bang Saray or Long Beach Wong Amat.

It's a bustling, growing thriving City that will never die, its that way because if offers so much, people want to come here. jap.gif

Now, over to the Pattaya bashers..biggrin.gif

Not to mention all the wonderful, classy people. :whistling:

Dont overlook Ubon Scratchafanny,situated on the Moon River, plenty of western amenities, only 2 farrang bars, many western resturaunts, shopping malls. Close to National parks ect. Plenty of nightclubs and very friendly locals and ex pats

...and some of the most chaotic city driving I've ever been in.

I hate driving in the city! It's clear that everyone has just brought a license and has no idea about any road rules or courtesy.

Lovely place apart from that though.

My first time in Thailand was spent in Bangkok and Phuket. I loved Phuket and hated Bangkok.

Now I live in Bangkok and really enjoy it!