What Is The Cheapest Pick Up Truck To Buy Here In Phuket

kenny999

let's just all agree that every single pickup in thailand = pansy trucs with no horsepower or torque.

Let's just all agree that the colorado is the only one that looks really good and tough and isnt over used all over thailand. (my eyes are bleeding from seeing all those jazz, vigos and fortuner)

I gave up my love for horsepower and bought myself a brand new granpa's minivan with 125hp, with massive confort..

No point in wasting 2mil+ on a Mazda cx-7 or nissan rogue in thailand. Save your monies for a yatch.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for a Dodge Ram,getting back to topic,allways go for single Cab,Wife in Front,cackling hangers on in the Cargo Bay,easy on the Ears.The Proton is surprising for about 600K.:jap:

600k for a Proton pickup ? Unless this is something very different than the one that run around where I live, here they are 299k to 399k.... single cab, double cab, pickup type back, drop side back, van.

3km from me a Lady owner of a Insurance repair shop use to sell these? looked the same about 3 - 4 years ago, but they were called DFM and priced from 239k, now all appear to be called Proton on the back and the Proton badge on the front.

Funny on Monday all 10 at the showroom near Bang Yai were white... yet in Big C car park there was a dark metallic grey one and a bright red one

A few years ago the cheapest pickup was a Daihatsu Mira @ 160k but very small

No ignis.This Proton looks like Toyota Wish.Now its bought Lotus in it seems to have tightened them up, even the doors shut superbly.Ive just been noticing the Cheap n Cheerful more since this topic started.Its all rather sad now,when i bought a small BMW,it was 75 Bht to the Pound, now it seems cheap when you look at Cars n Trucks today.I hardly use my Nissan since i stopped selling Watermellons,and the Kids have left home.:D

No ignis.This Proton looks like Toyota Wish.Now its bought Lotus in it seems to have tightened them up, even the doors shut superbly.Ive just been noticing the Cheap n Cheerful more since this topic started.Its all rather sad now,when i bought a small BMW,it was 75 Bht to the Pound, now it seems cheap when you look at Cars n Trucks today.I hardly use my Nissan since i stopped selling Watermellons,and the Kids have left home.:D

a proton looking like Toyota Wish? There is no such thing, there is a 7 seat Proton at 719 k baht, but it does not look like Wish in any way, neither size of platform, engine or design. Why on earth do you say anything in a car related thread, when you have absolutely no knowledge about cars in LOS?

Proton pays Lotus for engineering work on chassis, like several car makers do. Lotus use Toyota engines in their cars, like several car makers do.

OP was seeking advice on cheapest pickup in Phuket, and you started draging in Tata, which is not the cheapest and is not sold in Phuket. Then present a bunch of false "facts " about it.

Yes if the OP was looking for a cheap 7 seater MPV

Yes side by side the Proton is a bit bigger [is longer + higher] than the Wish, but only has a 1.6 engine

7 seater manual 719k

7 seater Auto 819k

The Wish is a 2.0 engine only in Auto but 1.277k price tag

post-42643-014314700 1284518973_thumb.jp

post-42643-085512800 1284519008_thumb.jp

Edit: Test reports put the Proton V the Toyota Invova together..

again the Proton is longer + higher but not as wide as the Toyota, but this Toyota also the 2.0 engine, is just over 100k more than the Proton in manual form

Edited by ignis

Not being an expert on things with four wheels, I hesitate to post.

Isn't there a tiny pick-up called a Familia? Mitsubishi?

Mazda Familia, a picup based on a 1975 Mazda 1300 sedan. Stopped manufactoring perhaps 10-12? years ago, was very popular (inexpensive) at that time.

Nissan later did something similar, by making Sunny into a pickup calling it NV. Was made/sold until recently. Non of them where tax free in LOS as they couldnt carry 1.000kg.

Edited by katabeachbum

Not being an expert on things with four wheels, I hesitate to post.

Isn't there a tiny pick-up called a Familia? Mitsubishi?

Yes there was a MAZDA FAMILIA 1.4 engine, models MAXI CAB and SUPER CAB, both ended production in 1995, but sales continued in Thailand until early 1999

You see them for sale every so often, price from about 30k to 85k...

New in 1999 [last year built in Thailand these pickups were 185k brand new. the MAXI cab was 217k brand new

The OP is looking for new + cheap

a proton looking like Toyota Wish? There is no such thing, there is a 7 seat Proton at 719 k baht, but it does not look like Wish in any way, neither size of platform, engine or design. Why on earth do you say anything in a car related thread, when you have absolutely no knowledge about cars in LOS?

Proton pays Lotus for engineering work on chassis, like several car makers do. Lotus use Toyota engines in their cars, like several car makers do.

OP was seeking advice on cheapest pickup in Phuket, and you started draging in Tata, which is not the cheapest and is not sold in Phuket. Then present a bunch of false "facts " about it.

Are you some kind School Teacher, Parking Warden,its afree site discussin budget Motoring, perhaos the poster finds some alteratives usefull if he doesnt know much

Are you some kind School Teacher, Parking Warden,its afree site discussin budget Motoring, perhaos the poster finds some alteratives usefull if he doesnt know much

I like facts, you have presented your thoughts and opinions, and I have corrected them to the factual siuation to benefit all readers

Its a thread about cheapest pickup in Phuket.

If you want to remain off topic, cheapest cars are Nissan march at 375k baht, Proton, Chery and a couple of more all below 400k baht. +600k baht models isnt cheap motoring in LOS, its more than 4 times average salary/year

• Like 1

I have test driven every single car and SUV under 1mil baht and let me tell you the proton mini van is the most confortable there is, after that its the jazz.

All the other cars feel like cardboard boxes or my back hurts after half a minute. Also most of them you can't even see out the window because of the shitty angles.

Just get the proton, take off the seat and put your stuff there. Feels like a real minivan from the US. You just relax and drive away without caring about all the idiots on the road.. Spa on wheels.

btw i tried the wish and it's terrible. No comfort, bad angles.. made for bad drivers like most thai cars. Really overpriced since it's looks pretty ugly from the outside.

Edited by ilyelol

I have test driven every single car and SUV under 1mil baht and let me tell you the proton mini van is the most confortable there is, after that its the jazz.

All the other cars feel like cardboard boxes or my back hurts after half a minute. Also most of them you can't even see out the window because of the shitty angles.

Just get the proton, take off the seat and put your stuff there. Feels like a real minivan from the US. You just relax and drive away without caring about all the idiots on the road.. Spa on wheels.

btw i tried the wish and it's terrible. No comfort, bad angles.. made for bad drivers like most thai cars. Really overpriced since it's looks pretty ugly from the outside.

You mention Proton have been looking at the Proton Gen 2 car same price as the Yaris, Gen 2 looks good with quite a few extras, not decided what to go for yet I think the pick-up is a no go for me so looking for a good car, Honda expensive so think it's between Mazda 2 or 3 Toyota Yaris and Proton Gen 2

I tried one yesterday,you are right..Only thing it was Black,the sign of an Idiot.A worthy alternative to any Truck,unless you sell Water Mellons or need to carry 2 Motorbikes everywhere.:)

I dont understand your post, you tried a Proton Gen 2 if so good or not, why is black the sign of an idiot? I am into fishing so transport just needs to carry my equipment hence the no need for a truck.

I tried one yesterday,you are right..Only thing it was Black,the sign of an Idiot.A worthy alternative to any Truck,unless you sell Water Mellons or need to carry 2 Motorbikes everywhere.:)

why is black the sign of an idiot?

Good question. Why indeed?

I'd argue anyway that for some, having a sign (black or otherwise) to indicate idiocy is superfluous. They are the sign.

Yes they look OK but for very little more you can get a bigger Mitsubishi Lancer + is 6 speed against the Proton 4 speed AUTO.

OK is 4 door against 5 door

Up to a point the Nissan Tiida comes the closest both being 5 door + 4 speed AUTO... cost just under 100k more for a good spec 'S' one... Out of interest a 2008 Proton Gen2 is over 100k less to buy 2nd hand than a Tiida, so the Nissan holds it value better., there again the Lancer holds it value better then both..

A new Nissan March Auto is 200k less !

EDIT: Looking at History the Nissan 1.6 Auto, SLX NV Queencab cost brand new in 2000 395k, today they sell for 200+ k... Toyota and Honda do not hold there value like this.. Will the March and the Tiida hold there value like this, of course only time will tell.

Edited by ignis

I treid the Proton V as shown in the Ignis Post ,ive also driven the Gen 2,and was aggreing with ilyelols views,They seem very nice to me.Unless you go Fishing for Sperm Whales, the Midi People carrier,would be fine,I seem to raise the passion in Folks with trucks who drive them only caue their Mrs wants one..Ive use a 2 Y.O. BMW.3Series, and a Calbre Nissan, because the Mrs wanted one.:annoyed:

Yes they look OK but for very little more you can get a bigger Mitsubishi Lancer + is 6 speed against the Proton 4 speed AUTO.

OK is 4 door against 5 door

Up to a point the Nissan Tiida comes the closest both being 5 door + 4 speed AUTO... cost just under 100k more for a good spec 'S' one... Out of interest a 2008 Proton Gen2 is over 100k less to buy 2nd hand than a Tiida, so the Nissan holds it value better., there again the Lancer holds it value better then both..

A new Nissan March Auto is 200k less !

Just looked at the nissan March a nice small car and a lot cheaper although it is only a 1.2, so good on fuel etc will be looking at that car first. 130,000 cheaper than a Yaris so must be a serious consideration.

i dont know about nissan but the proton with 75hp (the really small one) everytime it changes speed(on automatic) you get a huge feedback, feels like you are having an accident. My guess is it is about the same with the small nissan.. Lawn mower engine in a car is not a good idea.

i dont know about nissan but the proton with 75hp (the really small one) everytime it changes speed(on automatic) you get a huge feedback, feels like you are having an accident. My guess is it is about the same with the small nissan.. Lawn mower engine in a car is not a good idea.

Proton savy has an automated manual gearbox, feels like a kangaroo.

Nissan March has a very smooth CVT gearbox, like Nissan Teana, Audi A6 2,4, Mitsu Lancer, and Honda Click