Thailand Sends Off Two Warships To Tackle Somali Pirates

webfact

Thailand sends off two warships to tackle Somali pirates

By The Nation

Chonburi

gallery_327_1086_20094.jpg

Two Thai warships with some 380 troops on board left the Sattahip base yesterday to join international maritime taskforces in the Gulf of Aden to help tackle piracy in the lawless waters off the coast of Somalia.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan presided over the ceremony to bid warships Similan and Pattani farewell as they left for the 19day journey to the area in the Indian Ocean that has become notorious for piracy.

This 60day mission is the first time that Thailand has joined an international maritime taskforce to help stop the hijacking of commercial and fishery vessels, Navy Chief of Staff Admiral Rapol Khamklai said.

It is believed that some 1,000 members of 10 pirate groups have set up base in Punland, north of Somalia, and are all equipped with war weapons such as RPG rockets, machine guns and AK47 assault rifles as well as satellite phones and speedboats.

The pirates have hijacked several Thai vessels, including three fishing boats with 77 people on board that were seized in April. Several ships passing through the gulf, one of the world's busiest maritime trade routes, have been hijacked over the past few years. Now, some 25 nations have sent maritime taskforces in the Gulf of Aden to tackle the piracy.

It is estimated that the pirates launched more than 200 attacks last year, and successfully hijacked 68 vessels, making off with more than US$50 million (Bt1.5 billion) in ransom.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-11

r1558159182.jpg

A Buddhist monk conducts prayers for the Navy Seal team before they depart to the Gulf of Aden in Somalia from the Royal Thai Navy base, in Sattahip, Chonburi province, east of Bangkok September 10, 2010. About 386 Thai navy personnel, two vessels and two helicopters are sent to join a 93-day international anti-pirate exercise against Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden.

REUTERS

r2556822420.jpg

Navy seamen wave to relatives as they depart to the Gulf of Aden in Somalia from the Royal Thai Navy base, in Sattahip, Chonburi province, east of Bangkok September 10, 2010.

REUTERS

Fair Winds and Following Seas to all of you. Going into harm's way is never easy.

Edited by Buchholz

r1558159182.jpg

A Buddhist monk conducts prayers for the Navy Seal team before they depart to the Gulf of Aden in Somalia from the Royal Thai Navy base, in Sattahip, Chonburi province, east of Bangkok September 10, 2010. About 386 Thai navy personnel, two vessels and two helicopters are sent to join a 93-day international anti-pirate exercise against Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden.

REUTERS

r2556822420.jpg

Navy seamen wave to relatives as they depart to the Gulf of Aden in Somalia from the Royal Thai Navy base, in Sattahip, Chonburi province, east of Bangkok September 10, 2010.

REUTERS

Fair Winds and Following Seas to all of you. Going into harm's way is never easy.

I have not been uncritical of Thailand's armed forces but here at last is an opportunity to be rather proud I think.Good luck to all setting out for the Indian Ocean, and a safe return.

Good for the RTN! Let's hope that they catch some pirates.

Let's hope they don't. The prosecution process is a legal nightmare and an expensive process. Kenya doesn't want the burden of holding them and putting them on trial anymore. None of the arab countries at risk wants anything to do with the problem and has refused to take any of the captured pirates. It's why the NATO ships haven't been taking prisoners lately. Total hassle. The US put one pirate on trial in the US recently. The guy was in 7th heaven. Life in a US federal prison beats living in Somalia. The Russians set some captured prisoners adrift, presumably to die on the sea. It didn't go over well with the Somalis who have promised to murder any Russian vessel crews in retaliation. Strangely enough, none of the usual human rights groups at the UN said boo. Not a word from Libya, Cuba etc. Although they did wag their finger at Canada and France after non violent interdictions.

Maybe the Thais will apply their Rohingyha strategy and and set the pirates adrift. ;)

Personally, I think if they killed a few of these thugs, the message would sink in over time.

• Like 1

Thai Navy Joins Anti-Piracy Mission Off Somalia

BANGKOK - Thailand joined the fight against piracy in the Indian Ocean on Sept. 10, sending nearly 400 marines on two vessels to help police the lawless waters off Somalia, the navy confirmed.

The Thai navy deployed 386 troops on two warships, the Similan and the Pattani, for the 19-day journey to the Gulf of Aden - one of the world's busiest maritime trade routes.

The 60-day mission marks the first time Thailand has contributed to an international maritime taskforce.

The international armada, which includes regional neighbors China, Singapore, Malaysia and India, has been patrolling the Gulf of Aden since 2008 in a bid to stop pirates from hijacking commercial vessels.

Several Thai vessels have been hijacked by Somali pirates, including three fishing boats with a total of 77 crew members aboard who were seized in April.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-09-10

I'm a bit surprised about the 388 marines deployed spread over two ships. sound a bit overdone against pirates, unless you plan an incursion to wipe out a nest. The last is no part of the mandate given to the NATO force. Strange. Need more explanation I think :huh:

r1558159182.jpg

REUTERS

r2556822420.jpg

REUTERS

I have not been uncritical of Thailand's armed forces but here at last is an opportunity to be rather proud I think.Good luck to all setting out for the Indian Ocean, and a safe return.

And to get combat pay, especially the top brass.

I'm a bit surprised about the 388 marines deployed spread over two ships. sound a bit overdone against pirates, unless you plan an incursion to wipe out a nest. The last is no part of the mandate given to the NATO force. Strange. Need more explanation I think :huh:

It seems it's about 371 Navy personnel ((mostly sailors :) ) and 20 special forces. Now that starts to make sense.

You fools scoffing at the Thai navy here should note that these are highly experienced thai navy seals..who also train with the U.S. UDT teams. They also run ops in the south daily and other military conflict zones. They aren't as chickensh*t as you think and are actually quite competent. They are probably deploying to gain live arms experience with seaboarding operations.

19 days to the Somali coast???? Used to 9 days from Singapore to the Suez Canal and that was on a 50,000+ ton container ship! What speed will they be doing, 10 knots??

:huh:

Either way, hoping they have a good trip and a safe return.

be fair they can only row so fast and the pirates wont hear them coming even thuogh the navy told them they were on way to scare them

someone probably heard the pirates had a stash of mercedes cars

You fools scoffing at the Thai navy here should note that these are highly experienced thai navy seals..who also train with the U.S. UDT teams. They also run ops in the south daily and other military conflict zones. They aren't as chickensh*t as you think and are actually quite competent. They are probably deploying to gain live arms experience with seaboarding operations.

Roger that Rambone....

"War ships" looked like the boats that "Fish & Game" wardens use back home.

Finally a use for Thai military. Congrats on the mission, give it to 'em boys! I assume there are no women in the Navy?

well thers a policeman a cowboy and a red indian ------------i forget who else

Edited by neilf

That's exactly what happened yesterday. The U.S. Navy and Marines boarded and successfully recaptured a ship that had been taken over by pirates. On the big freighters and oilers and whatnot an effective boarding would require quite a few men. Great to see the Thai SEAL team is on board to coordinate operations.

In yesterday's incident, the ship's crew were still on board and had securely locked themselves into a "Panic Room" on board the ship... but not before scuttling the ship's engines just before the pirates had seized control of their ship.

There's high drama, which is very real, going on over there.

The seas are as they were centuries ago with pirates doing battle against the navies and commercial ships of various nations of the world.

Edited by Buchholz

That's exactly what happened yesterday. The U.S. Navy and Marines boarded and successfully recaptured a ship that had been taken over by pirates. On the big freighters and oilers and whatnot an effective boarding would require quite a few men. Great to see the Thai SEAL team is on board to coordinate operations.

In yesterday's incident, the ship's crew were still on board and had securely locked themselves into a "Panic Room" on board the ship... but not before scuttling the ship's engines just before the pirates had seized control of their ship.

The seas are as they were centuries ago with pirates doing battle against the navies and commercial ships of various nations of the world.

Sorry, you answer a question I didn't ask. You should have replied to #17 where I add:

It seems it's about 371 Navy personnel ((mostly sailors ) and 20 special forces. Now that starts to make sense.

The Thai navy deployed 386 troops on two warships, the Similan and the Pattani

Roger that Rambone....

"War ships" looked like the boats that "Fish & Game" wardens use back home.

Where on Earth is "home" for you :blink:

and what sort of game wardens there have a ship like HTMS Pattani and its Otomelara 76/62 main gun :huh:

It's depicted here for 3 minutes on a Norwegian Navy ship showing both single shot and rapid fire mode (80 rounds per minute):

Edited by Buchholz

Sorry, you answer a question I didn't ask. You should have replied to #17 where I add:

It seems it's about 371 Navy personnel ((mostly sailors ) and 20 special forces. Now that starts to make sense.

The HTMS Pattani has a crew of 85. The HTMS Similan has a crew of 125. that leaves 170+ marines and SEALs.

"quote name='rubl' timestamp='1284180462' post='3876464'"

"/quote"

The HTMS Pattani has a crew of 85. The HTMS Similan has a crew of 125. that leaves 170+ marines and SEALs.

My 371 came from another source, not necessarily correct. Not my area of special knowledge anyway. Still with the numbers you provide the ships seem a bit overcrowded?

Good for the RTN! Let's hope that they catch some pirates.

Let's hope they don't. The prosecution process is a legal nightmare and an expensive process. Kenya doesn't want the burden of holding them and putting them on trial anymore. None of the arab countries at risk wants anything to do with the problem and has refused to take any of the captured pirates. It's why the NATO ships haven't been taking prisoners lately. Total hassle. The US put one pirate on trial in the US recently. The guy was in 7th heaven. Life in a US federal prison beats living in Somalia. The Russians set some captured prisoners adrift, presumably to die on the sea. It didn't go over well with the Somalis who have promised to murder any Russian vessel crews in retaliation. Strangely enough, none of the usual human rights groups at the UN said boo. Not a word from Libya, Cuba etc. Although they did wag their finger at Canada and France after non violent interdictions.

Maybe the Thais will apply their Rohingyha strategy and and set the pirates adrift. ;)

Personally, I think if they killed a few of these thugs, the message would sink in over time.

Couldn't agree more - if they have set up a hostile base as stated and are well armed then there is no reason not to have a joint exercise of seizure as Somalia is lawless and has no Government. Treat it as a naval exercise and rid the Somali coast of this scum whilst sending a clear message they are no longer untouchable. International waters are just that and should be free of any threat. After all what is the cost of this now with so many navy vessels standing by doing nothing. Sink the bastards and don't waste the courts time.