How Many Hand Guns?

Richb2004v2

Just how prevalent is gun ownership in Thailand? I've often heard people speculate that so many homes have hand guns but I am a little skeptical. However the things that make me wonder are the seeming popularity of folk wearing T-shirts with gun brands on them, like Glock and others. Also there seems to be a lot of hand gun magazines. Can their really be so many hand guns here, or is it a case of male fantasy like buying sports car magazines when you don't own a sports car?

Here in Koh Phangan most of taxi drivers, truck drivers, government officers, landlords, householders, shop owners, important people, policemen, gang people, macho, men, bar owners and even several farang I know, have guns.

Sad situation.

(any connection with the freudian theory about gun and attributes?) :whistling:

Here in Koh Phangan most of taxi drivers, truck drivers, government officers, landlords, householders, shop owners, important people, policemen, gang people, macho, men, bar owners and even several farang I know, have guns.

Sad situation.

Are you sure? Have you actually seen them or is it just word of mouth. I'm not starting an argument as you could well be right.

There is probably no way how they can even accuately estimate how many handguns there are in LOS. I remember my ex-wife telling me about her step father dealing in american handguns from the soldiers in Vietnam that made their way to LOS via Cambodia.

Apparently it is about 70,000 THB to get a gun licence for a handgun . My ex-wife was looking into getting one for her mother because she was scared of the Cambodian and Burmese workers in the area she was living. Absolutly crazy....... a 70 year old woman witha handgun and no training or safety awareness. I was fearful for the kids in the household who get up one night to go to the toilet. Or somebody looses in a card game .......not that they would ever dream of doing something illegal like playing cards .

Edited by xen

Sad situation.

Are you sure? Have you actually seen them or is it just word of mouth. I'm not starting an argument as you could well be right.

Sadly I'm sure. I've seen many and many times (not directed to me) and many times I was asked to buy one.

I can say a lot of Thai have some kind of gun in their home (or car....)

Sad situation.

Sadly I'm sure. I've seen many and many times (not directed to me) and many times I was asked to buy one.

I can say a lot of Thai have some kind of gun in their home (or car....)

It's strange since I don't hear of that many gun related incidents. With so many guns I would have expected to hear of more shootings. The prevalence of the gun magazines and other related items seems strange to me. I wonder if the same things are found in other westernized countries with large numbers of guns? I'm thinking mainly of the USA of course. Do people there wear T-shirts with Glock on them, and are hand gun magazines popular there too? In the Uk they have 'shooting' magazines but not the same type as are found here.

Coming from a paranoid nancy country like Canada, with its tight restrictions on all guns, I was quite shocked to see a Thai man sitting in the street of Kanchanaburi cleaning his 3 hand guns. I went over and had a chat with him and inspected the 3 pieces: 2 revolvers and autoloader. The autoloader was a 9 mm Glock and the revolvers were 38 calibre Smith and Wessons. That would never happen in Canada and not all USA states. I didn't bother asking what the Thai gentleman did for a living, but suspected he was in some sort of law enforcement.

That would never happen in Canada and not all USA states.

yep, In Arizona and other states you can clean your handguns at Starbucks without a permit.

I find that very hard to believe. You can sit in Starbucks and clean your gun, without a permit? That was some sort of vague joke right?

]I bring a very different perspective to the thread. I grew up in a small community in Central Washington State. Guns there are a normal facet of life there. My father had a very large gun collection. Typically he had about 200 rifles and maybe 80 or so pistols. He collected Stevens single shot rim fire antique rifles as a hobby. From a very early age my brothers and sister were taught to respect guns, were taught how to safely handle guns. Most kids where I grew up underwent Firearm safety classes starting at age 8 and after that were able to acquire a hunting license and many hunted for food. I ate wild meat 95% of the time while growing up. Every year when hunting season came along my father would assign each of us a different rifle to hunt with every year. This way, we were taught to become familiar with the many types of actions,and attributes of different rifles. In this area problems rarely surfaced with the misuse of firearms because most people knew how to handle guns in law abiding and safe manners. The paranoia and fear of guns prevalent in many parts of the world simply did not exist in my world. Guns were and remain tools there for hunting and self defense and crime deterrents. I also spent 16 years in Alaska. There many,many people carry guns and there are minimal problems with road rage, etc. because most are armed. Americans in all states can carry guns and it is the act of carrying a CONCEALED and loaded weapon that requires a permit. These laws vary from state to state. While living here in Thailand I understand that many folks are carrying loaded guns without much training and often the mix of guns and whiskey are present. Not often do you see me getting road rage because of this fact. Yes I feel very handicapped without the ability to own guns here for me and my families protection but as always it is what it is....attached is a photo showing food for three families for a year. The second photo is old but shows another trip to the meat section of our local supermarket.post-49171-068188500 1284270805_thumb.jp

post-49171-071481600 1284270703_thumb.jp

Edited by bunta71

My local shop sells 6 types of magazine.

Special Forces / Gun

Cock Fighting

Buffalo Breeders

Astrology

Thai Soap Operas

Buddha Amulets

No FT no comment!

And each of that selection is pretty much nonsense. Well except the buffalo breeding I guess. You are forgetting mobile phone magazines and maybe magazines about those who shall not be mentioned.

That would never happen in Canada and not all USA states.

yep, In Arizona and other states you can clean your handguns at Starbucks without a permit.

I find that very hard to believe. You can sit in Starbucks and clean your gun, without a permit? That was some sort of vague joke right?

nope

Nearly all adults can already carry a weapon openly in Arizona, and supporters of looser laws argue that gun owners shouldn't face additional restrictions just because they want to hide the weapon.

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/17/arizona-gun-law-concealed_n_541445.html

snapback.pngxen, on 2010-09-11 17:05, said:

Apparently it is about 70,000 THB to get a gun licence for a handgun .

A handgun licence is Bt500 (one off payment)

Perhaps the price i was quoted included the handgun and a few rounds. Package deal !!!

snapback.pngxen, on 2010-09-11 17:05, said:

Apparently it is about 70,000 THB to get a gun licence for a handgun .

A handgun licence is Bt500 (one off payment)

Perhaps the price i was quoted included the handgun and a few rounds. Package deal !!!

A thai person can certainly buy a legal handgun here for far less than 70,000 thb.

What in god's name would a farang expat need with a handgun in Thailand? that's just asking for trouble in the worst way imaginable.

Sad situation.

Nothing to do with word of mouth, what so ever, you do not have to look far to see guns.

In the far South if you dare go there, you have to be aware very much, two people on a motorbike can come up to you

the pilion passenger puts a gun in your face while the driver take any valuables you have on you.

My Highway police aquaintants and all his police friends on all levels at different departments have many guns not just the one

because they have to supply there own. :huh: .

You can call it and see it as a sad situation if you want, I don't, it happens all over the world, some places in Thailand are dangerous places to be for police etc.

Many drivers traveling up and down country in Lorries, trucks and vans carry guns.

The highway policeman told me never get into road rage with Thai drivers as they may have a gun in there vehicle.

He has been called out twice over the last couple of years where someones car had been shot at, only hitting the car fortunately.

Most of the guns that have been offered to me are from police owners.

Most other guns around here in mid north are shotguns, some of which are beautifully engraved and they will not sell them.

An old shotgun is what I am looking out for, they only seem to have modern types in most gunshops.

A local police family friend only has a gun for self defence and says he has only ever fired it at the range.

Sad situation.

I have seen the same thing on koh phan ngan.

these people do not generally walk around armed but there is most certainly a gun in the house.

In my sheltered upbringing (first 45 years) I never once saw anybody other than Police/Soldiers with guns. My last 7 years here in Thailand I have become accustomed to them.

Memorable times –

1) Went to a wedding, father of the bride let off a few rounds in celebration. As Thai weddings go, the young boys get drunk and someone gets stabbed. Luckily it just remained a stabbing for the father was all set to send some slugs into the offender.

2) Bought my first car from the local MP. At the side of his desk where two revolvers and what I thought was a shotgun.

3) Local Orbator a few doors up was gunned down a couple of years back. A few hours earlier he had been sitting on our veranda.

4) Neighbor asked us to look after a bag while they were away. I thought it was valuables. Well it seems the valuables was a handgun and I was only shown this when they collected the bag.

To your question, I would not know how prevalent gun ownership is but certainly based on what I've seen its worst than the previous countries I've lived in (UK, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait & Egypt)

In my sheltered upbringing (first 45 years) I never once saw anybody other than Police/Soldiers with guns. My last 7 years here in Thailand I have become accustomed to them.

Memorable times –

1) Went to a wedding, father of the bride let off a few rounds in celebration. As Thai weddings go, the young boys get drunk and someone gets stabbed. Luckily it just remained a stabbing for the father was all set to send some slugs into the offender.

2) Bought my first car from the local MP. At the side of his desk where two revolvers and what I thought was a shotgun.

3) Local Orbator a few doors up was gunned down a couple of years back. A few hours earlier he had been sitting on our veranda.

4) Neighbor asked us to look after a bag while they were away. I thought it was valuables. Well it seems the valuables was a handgun and I was only shown this when they collected the bag.

To your question, I would not know how prevalent gun ownership is but certainly based on what I've seen its worst than the previous countries I've lived in (UK, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait & Egypt)

Where in Thailand do you live? Have you thought about moving :D