One Year Almost Up - Extension Question N Stuff.

Hi!

Almost at the end of my Non Imm B and my Thai friend points out that i have not "been out of the country" and i see that in my stupidity in thinking a one year visa is for one year, i find myself 20,000 baht worse off (ho hum) so i now understand i should have been popping out of the country every three months (i know, i know) there was me thinking a one year visa was just what it said!! doh!

By the way, do all (working) non thais have do do this seemingly stupid 3 month run inc bussiness leaders, foreign journalists, embassy staff, Brian Robson etc?

Anyway, a couple of questions for you experts out there.

I have a chance to do some freelance work that will move me between Thailand and Vietnam (legit work, nothing dodgy, but wont get me a work permit, drat!).

So i know i have to pay my 20,000 overstay, sorted, but can i get a 3 month (or longer would be better) extension (what type, i dont know?) and can i do that from here in BKK or do i have to get out and apply for extension from UK etc? I am 48 by the way.

And in closing, its a fantasic site (that i really never thought i would need to use), and its good to see people willing to aid the lost and pathetic (like me) in a virtual International community kind of way. Cheers :-)

Your visa is valid for one year. During it's validity you can travel an unlimited times to Thailand. Each time you enter Thailand you can stay up to 90 days. After that you have to leave and come right back in. By leaving and re-entering the country just before the visa expires you can get a new 90 days and almost 15 months out of it. This seems to be the best option for you.

You don't qualify for an extension of stay, as for that you would need a work permit, etc.

For the overstay the below applies:

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked

shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or

both.

For not reporting address after 90 days in Thailand the below applies:

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be

punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for

each day which passes until the law is complied with

If also working without a work permit additional penalties could be made.

If you have a work permit and meet income and company requirements one year extensions of stay are available from Immigration each year so no travel would be required.